on 7 April 2013
An oldie but a goodie - this helped me through my year of work when I moved to London and had to cook for myself for the first time. Now a nostalgic read but the recipes still hold up if you are mostly catering for yourself with the occasional friend joining you.
Goode For One is a Shirley Goode book that I didn't buy on its first printing, as at the time I was feeding a family of four rather than just myself. Nearly thirty years on the toddler of those years is finally ready to leave home, some ten years after I expected, so this book is an interesting addition to my bookshelf.
Shirley appeared in the BBC magazine programme Bazaar and also had her own programme, The Goode Kitchen.
Goode for One collects some of Shirley's recipes together that featured slightly disguised in her other books, and quite a few are variations on a theme. The whole point of Shirley's Eighties books are that they are money-saving; Shirley was the Jack Monroe of her day. Like Jack, Shirley is big on precise costings and whilst these figures are now way out of date, the principle is the same.
Some of the tips are out of date; cereal cartons no longer have waxed paper liners to use as cake tin linings. I remember following Shirley's instructions also given here for making a block of baking margarine (the one we couldn't tell from butter, fellow baby boomers) into spreadable margarine with the addition of oil and water.
I will try some of the recipes that I haven't seen before and turn the clock back, the spicy cabbage with apple plus looks good, as does the glazed meat loaf. If you read Shirley's blog, you may well have come across them already
Worth tracking down - I got this for a penny plus postage, and have come across dog-eared charity shop copies too.
Update: The spicy cabbage with apple was very good, a novel and tasty way of serving either red or white cabbage.
on 28 June 2009
I've had a copy of this book for years. It was a lifeline to me at a time when I was hard up by helping me to eat well on a tight budget. I still use it now and bought a new copy to replace my old one which had nearly fallen apart after so much usage. I would recommend it to anyone, but particularly those on a low income.
on 13 May 2008
an excellent little cookbook. lots of ideas on how to save money and how to go about feeding yourself as you are starting out. I particularly like the chart showing the different ratios of ingredients for pancakes, yorkshirepud and dropscones. I wore my copy out and I plan to buy a replacement copy.
on 30 May 2015
I had used this book so much over the ears and repaired it numerous timeI had to buy another copy. A really wonderful book of ideas for those on a budget feeding a family.
on 15 November 2011
I remember Shirley when she was on TV
I liked her style and wise ways.
Even though many years old still practical advice for today's ways.
on 12 March 2016
replaced the original one lost
on 12 July 2014