5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Floyd's piece de resistance.
If you ever buy one cook book on French Cuisine, this should be it.

Published on 6 Nov 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Floyd at his best.
lower score only reflects the less than perfect condition this book arrived in . The content is pure keith F and his insite into the regionality of each dish is fantastic as well as the recipes themselves. Brilliant.
Published 21 months ago by mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Floyd's piece de resistance., 6 Nov 2002
This review is from: Floyd on France (Paperback)
If you ever buy one cook book on French Cuisine, this should be it.

Sumptuous recipes from Keith's time living in rural France where I belive he engrossed himself in the culture for several years to find the most authentic versions of some very well known and several lesser known dishes. He must surely be one of very few foreigners to set up a restaurant serving French food to the French gaining a reputation for excellence even there!

The book is the result of this time in France and clearly demonstrates his devotion to quality and excellence with some truly magnificent recipes. My butcher now knows when I'm doing a Floyd recipe without my having to tell him - where else do you use three different cuts of beef for texture and flavour or two bottles of Burgundy, madeira and armagnac to create a superbly rich Boeuf Bourgignon?
From a simple but delicious pot au feu to a more involved Christmas cake from the Auvergne, all are worth a go if you are anything of a cook.
... and the glass of wine while you do it is obligatory!

5.0 out of 5 stars some truly great recipes, 6 Feb 2002
This review is from: Floyd on France (Paperback)
The beef bourgignon is outstanding and our all-time No. 1 recipe. Mind you, 2 bottle of burgundy and marinading overnight means it's not quick or cheap. But then quality things rarely are. Try it just with some warm french bread to soak up the glorious juices. Heaven. Get your greens by starting with a Perigord salad - another favourite recipe.
Written with a typical Floyd style (no Delia-type detailed instructions here) so maybe not for complete beginners. But some cracking, robust dishes. Cheers Mr Floyd !

5.0 out of 5 stars About as Good as it Gets!, 30 April 2007
Jon D "Jon in France" (South Vendée, France) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Floyd on France (Hardcover)
In the highly unlikely event that I am ever appointed Dictator, one of my first acts will be to garnish with the ermine Keith Floyd (Lord Floyd of Chandos, perhaps, in commemoration of the address of his restaurant in Bristol, unhappily departed by the time I was a student in that city) for services to gastronomy. I'd then appoint him Minister of Food with draconian powers to do dreadful things to fast food restaurants and TV dinner manufactures.

This book on its own justifies ennoblement.

A slim volume but one packed with a wealth of excellent recipes and anecdote. The book froths with Floyd's enthusiasm for food and France. The dishes range from the simple ("Easy Hollandaise Sauce") to the complex ("Whole Duck Terrine") and include a range of French classics (Coq au Vin, Cassoulet) that one sees done well so seldom. Just as good as the recipes are Floyd's comments and insights.

I own four copies: one for me and one for each of the three gîtes we own in the hope that our guests might be inspired. Bluntly, I think that this is the best book of French cooking published in English.

For reasons that baffle me, this book is no longer in print. Second hand copies are still available, but it would be nice if the publishers took it upon themselves to issue another edition. Maybe they could coincide it with Floyd's elevation to the peerage.

5.0 out of 5 stars good French cookery, 2 April 2009
Mrs. Lorna S. Hull "Canterbury Cook" (Canterbury, Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Floyd on France (Paperback)
A publication that features easy to follow traditional recipes. Anyone who wants to create authentic French country cuisine will find these recipes delightful. The ingredients are easy to find and the results truly delicious. I found this book in the house we rented for a month in France and could not wait to buy it on our return. I will use it time and time again in the years to come

4.0 out of 5 stars Where Floyd has died and gone to foodie heaven, 30 Oct 2001
This review is from: Floyd on France (Paperback)
If there was any place in the world where Keith Floyd could hang up his world weary boots and live life to the gastronomic full it's here in France.
The recipes give full depth to french cuisine and do great justice to their place of origin.
Wonderful anecdotes as well sumptuous recipes makes this book probably one of the best to accompany his programme. This is where Floyd appears to be truly at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Elisabeth David of the 80s, 90s and the new millenium, 5 Jun 2006
This review is from: Floyd on France (Paperback)
Those who have seen Keith Floyd's cookery programmes in the 1980/90s will never forget him - principally because he always seemed to be drunk at some point. But he was and is a great chef and I believe this book to be an absolute masterpiece for very good reasons that I will expand upon below.

First the introduction which re-reading is fascinating: first he talks mentions the most classic book on French cooking brought to us by Elisabeth David in the 1950s - ie 30 years before publication of this book. He laments that many dishes of her book had disappeared since Floyd wrote his book which in 1987 was battling with nouvelle cuisine. It would be fascinating to know what the decline (or not) has been since 1987. Second his wonderful description of what a rural French kitchen looks like - wonderful descriptions of pig's trotters to flavour stock rather than a cube; dried beans, lardoons etc.

But most important what of the recipes? In themselves they are fascinating just to read from very simple soups and vegetable dishes to more complex main courses. All types of food are covered - hors d'oeuvres, poultry, game, meat, vegetables and the fascinating ham and offal section which include recipes for such delights as stuffed goose neck and calves ears.

The proof, to use a cliché, of the pudding is in the eating. OK so it is unlikely that you'll be rushing out to buy the ingredients for Sheep's Trotter and Stuffed Tripe but of the many recipes I tried they have all worked out perfectly. Floyd has never let me down. But more than that I have learnt so much. The final sentence of the introduction explain why there are no temperatures given just hot, medium or low oven as Floyd says you need to know the temperature of your oven and this book was instrumental in giving me the confidence to cook food until it is done rather than 20 mins at Gas Mark 4.

An absolute must for any cook or person just interested in thumbing through cook books.

5.0 out of 5 stars french cooking from someone who understood france, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Floyd on France (Paperback)
I own over 50 cook books. This one is in a different league to most others. The education on offer here goes far beyond the recipes themselves and its a wonderful insight to french cuisine, making you think as well as cook. A treasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keith Floyd, the original and the best !, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Floyd on France (Paperback)
Perhaps the most accomplished of all his cook books, "Floyd on France" is one of those that you just have to have on your shelf. I managed to track my copy down through a second hand seller and I'm glad I did.

Although it's quite specialist ingredients that you have to procure if you are going to follow the recipes, I love the back ground to the book and the adventures that Keith shares with you on the way. He was certainly a unique character and I find this particular offering to be a real guilty pleasure. It evokes some great memories for me of younger days when "political correctness" did not rule behaviour and old rakes and raconteurs had more grace and panache than today.

I'm still trying to perfect my bouillabaisse, probably because I mimic Keith Floyd and have a glass of vino in one hand during the whole process !

Great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars france, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Floyd on France (Paperback)
my friend adores france and also floyd so i thought i would buy him this book , and he loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 9 Dec 2009
M. A. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
The seller offered the book at a very reasonable price. Description was accurate and the item was in very good condition as promised. It was delivered well packaged to prevent any damage and I received it within a couple of days. Inside the package was a note from the seller thanking me for my payment and wishing me well which I thought was a very nice gesture. I was very satisfied with the product and the service I received.

Floyd on France
Floyd on France by Keith Floyd (Hardcover - 3 Sep 1987)
Used & New from: £4.23