Big Book of Unschooling
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£15.61+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 20 August 2013
Reassuring, fun, and I love Sandra's basic premise of always asking, seeking your own version of truth rather than accepting other people's. So many bits of received wisdom are questioned in a brilliantly engaging way, you learn how to trust your own knowledge of your own family, you absorb her process.

I have felt like shouting from the rooftops at times, with the happiness and joy of it all, but heed her words of small quiet steady change. The 'workbooks' have been put on shelves, the 'reward jar' quietly ignored. I have not proclaimed us dramatically an 'unschooling family!!!', I just say 'yes' more and am paying more attention. I wonder where the questions and the 'yes' will lead us.... will watch and see. It's definitely an adventure.

She doesn't shy from presenting you with challenges, she can be forthright, but only to ask you to think, not to boss you about.

The book is all on her website. There is nothing new here. But it's a pleasing, chunky book and really lovely to dip in and out of, and somehow more of a 'friend' than the website for an old-school book lover like me. Plus my husband hates me on the computer in bed!
on 16 April 2013
This book is an excellent introduction or companion to Unschooling: a wide range of topics discussed and illustrated with relevant, real-life examples; short, concise chapters so you can read it in short bursts while looking after children; laid out in a way which makes it easy to either read from cover to cover or alternatively dip into at need; suggestions for further reading online.

Great for bathroom or bedtime reading, or for introducing relatives or friends to the joys of unschooling, and a great source of advice both for people who are new to the philosophy or experienced but wanting someone else's perspective to help them think more deeply about their approach.

Highly recommended.
on 19 June 2015
most inspiring book on radical unschooling! full of 'philosophical' how to's. it's very much a parenting book as an unschooling book. beautiful parenting that will create beautiful children who will transform our world; their world!