1,608 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of the best thriller books I have ever read.
Published on 26 April 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Series Opener -if a little too straightforward
Great opener to a series and kept me entertained, but "entertained" is definitely the right word as I was not kept guessing or intrigued by complex characters or subtle plot.

Published on 27 Jun 2011 by Chunky Monkey

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of the best thriller books I have ever read., 26 April 2001
By A Customer
I discovered Lee Child's work when I was given a novel for a present. I finished it in 2 days. 'THE KILLING FLOOR' is a dynamic, intricate thriller which literally keeps you turning the pages. The character of Jack Reacher is very strong; deceptively simply written and wholly engaging. He is quickly becoming one of my favourite fiction charcters. 'THE KILLING FLOOR' takes us through the perfect small-town America deep into the heart of Georgia. Here, Reacher becomes embroilled in a series of horrific killings - and recieves some news which makes the situation intensely personal. The relationships that the charcters develop balance the horror against which they are fighting, and up the stakes to breaking point. The story that unfolds is pacey; detailed and convoluted and manages to deliver a surprise with every turn of the page. Lee Child is one of the most talented writers to come out of England for many years. I hope the books continue with the same vitality that the predecessors have had. The films will be hardpressed to reproduce Reacher's dynamic charcter - good luck to them. If you intend to read one last book in your lifetime - read this one. Then read the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of light posts!, 6 Mar 2001
Christine L (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I'd already read "Die Trying" and "Tripwire" when I got this book and I was afraid that it wouldn't be as good as those two, since it was Mr Child's first novel. How wrong I was!!! It's absolutely brilliant and really difficult to put down. I started reading it when I went away on holiday and as I could not put it down while walking through the airport I only narrowly escaped an embarassing accident.
As with the other two Jack Reacher books that I've read, I think the plot is really clever and exciting, the characters are well developed and the scenery is very easy to visualise. And contrary to a lot of other series with the same main character I'm amazed at how different Mr Child has managed to make these books. I'm ready to read number 4!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Series Opener -if a little too straightforward, 27 Jun 2011

The clichés about Small Town America were many and, being a UK citizen writing about people and places of the USA, Child's made a little too much effort to sound American. Count how many times he uses the phrase ". . . as he nosed the car out of the parking lot . . . as he nosed the car into traffic. . . " - I actually started to laugh out loud. One of the characters is described in a way that made me envisage him as Colonel Sanders complete with white suit, string neck tie and rootin', tootin' manner about the way he patronises town folk!

That said, you may get the impression from the above that I am extremely critical, yet strangely, I thoroughly enjoyed the pace of the book and the amount of 'stuff' that happens on almost every page. It was sufficiently satisfying that I have begun reading the second book and, no doubt, I will find myself hooked on the series.

I suppose, in many ways, it's a bit like first discovering John Grisham: You can't deny the 'readability' of his books, but they won't exactly challenge your intellect.

Great solid read, don't pass over due to some poor reviews here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge Disappointment, 8 Aug 2014
I had high hopes for this book but unfortunately it turned out to be the worst book I've ever read.

It's extremely juvenile. Jack Reacher is a macho, tough guy who can beat up anyone and says things like: "It's going to take more than four little country boys to get me. Who are they kidding? I've s*** better opponents than that." That's just one example, the book is littered with similar puerile nonsense.

The storyline contains too many coincidences to be credible and it quickly becomes tiresome reading about Reacher's latest super-human exploits, like single-handedly beating up two tough prison gangs in a single morning.

The worst aspect of the book, and the main reason for my low rating, is the annoying writing style. The author uses short sentences. Sometimes very short. This becomes irritating. Extremely irritating. Don't know why he does it. Makes it harder to read. Not easier. Spoils the flow. Drove me mad.

My first and last Jack Reacher book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the ride - but don't look too deeply !, 15 May 2007
BikeMan (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
Lee Child has a smooth, minimal, easy to read style - not a word or a sentence is wasted. This means that the plot moves along rapidly and plenty happens as the story flows at a good pace.

The main character is Jack Reacher who must be the ultimate hero - ultra-tough, resourceful and of course very attractive to the main female lead. So the main attraction of the story is seeing Jack blast through the action. Don't worry too much about the plot details - just enjoy Jack's progress as he uncovers the evil scheme, copes with the unexpected twsts and ultimately gets the bad guys (of course).

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book!, 1 Mar 2011
This is currently my favourite novel of all time.

It might not be very 'deep', but for pure literary enjoyment I've yet to read anything as gripping. The structure of the story is inch perfect, the pace spot on, the revelations brilliantly placed. I can't really offer up any criticisms. It's just an absorbing read from start to end.

Reacher is a fantastic lead character. It's no surprise to me he ended up spearheading countless other novels by the same author. This particular Reacher book is also blessed with an excellent female lead and a very disturbing bad guy. Even the locations are interesting (I'll doubt you'll read too many other thrillers set in Georgia and its surrounding areas). All in all, faultless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cops and Robbers, 13 Feb 2013
Jack Reacher, ex army major, is enjoying the freedom to travel as and where he likes, with no ties. It is when he drops in to a cafe in a little town in Georgia, that he finds himself arrested, and facing a possible murder charge. Reacher senses that all is not as it should be in the town, and a story of murder and corruption on a large scale unfolds, with our likeable, super-hero putting it all to rights.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Reacher, 12 Mar 2012
Mike Renshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1) (Paperback)
This was my first Reacher novel and I'd heard lots of good things (and some bad) so wasn't really sure what to expect. I'm glad I started reading these and I'm now on the 15th book back to back - they are proper page turners!

Lee Child doesn't write the worlds greatest prose but it does work unusually well - it's almost like bullet points descriptions. For example "Reacher got in the car, he started the engine and began to drive".

Normally this kind of writing style wouldn't be to my personal preference but sets the scene well and flows the story along at a nice pace that makes for a compelling read.

The actual story is just about believable, but once you've read more of the Reacher tales then I'd suggest that this may have been better more along the timeline - but that's just me nitpicking on my part! The characters can be a little wooden at times, and some of the plot lines are stretching credibility (without spoiling too much, the location and two related people being there very close in time is unlikely) However, there has been a lot of reviews on the story and how good it is, and my advice is just to give it a try - at around 5 or so it's not a lot to loose but a lot to gain. Be warned though, you may just find it compelling enough to start reading them all one after the other just like I did!

Highly recommended as a good introduction to the character and his story, but there are stronger Reacher books hence the 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd want Jack Reacher on my side !, 4 Oct 2011
Great thriller with real he-man hero, a trained killer who happens to be a bit of a lady killer too. The plot grips immediately, then you are swirled away until the end. Yes of course there are a couple of outrageous coincidences but you know what - it's a work of fiction ! I had no idea the author was English, the American voice was authentic enough for me, all credit to him. This book marks the start of a beautiful friendship!

5.0 out of 5 stars JACK REACHER -- MY NEW HERO, 20 Oct 2002
Nancy Martin (Pennsylvania (orig. NY)) - See all my reviews
Even though I read about fifty books a year in the Mystery/Thriller genre, this is my first introduction to Lee Child. He comes highly recommended and I'm now wondering why I waited so long to pick up one of his books.
My immediate thoughts on this author are that I like his writing style. He writes like we speak -- shorter sentences and gets right to the point. My second discovery is his use of surprises. There's nothing I like more than reading a book where I don't know what's going to happen at the end of a chapter. I love having some of those "Oh, No" moments when settling down with a mystery. My third and probably most important reason for liking this book is the main character. Finally, I meet Jack Reacher -- 6'4", 36 years old, a former military policeman and, best of all, he's not a wise-guy. I don't know why most authors think they have to resort to the wise-cracking main character in order to have a successful book. To me, Jack Reacher is a refreshing change.
The setting of this book, Margrave, Georgia, is reminiscent of a Stepford town. Everything is perfect, everything is clean, everyone is happy with their lives....until dead bodies start showing up. Reacher, who just happens to be wandering through Margrave, is immediately considered a suspect simply because he's an outsider. But little does this town know that it's the "insiders" they have to worry about as Reacher sets out to prove his innocence and seeks revenge for the death of someone from his past. And when Reacher sets out to seek revenge, he means it, as he has no problem at all in killing bad people.
In the beginning of the book, he won't know whom to trust and neither will the reader. As the story progresses, however, you will become amazed at Reacher's intelligence and will become attuned to his deciphering of even the smallest clue.
Jack Reacher has now moved right up on top of my list of favorite main characters in a mystery series. I've looked past the fact that he has no problem killing people.
I'm just so glad that this is a series because it means that I get to visit with this pantheon of human pulchritude again and again and again. Next up....Die Trying.

Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1)
Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1) by Lee Child (Paperback - 5 Aug 2010)
3.50