5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, quirky and wonderful
Published on 6 Nov 2010 by J. Jensen

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe it's Erikson.
Published 8 months ago by r shah

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe it's Erikson., 12 April 2014
This review is from: The Tales Of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, Vol 1 (Malazan Empire) (Paperback)
I was aware that this book was getting some poor reviews but I still went ahead and bought it when I wanted another dose of Malazan world while waiting for George r.r Martin to finish his next book. I was very disappointed, it was a real struggle to read from the start. I kept reading and hoping that it will get more interesting but it never did. The characters are familiar but there is no real depth to them, and although they get up to their usual bloody hobbies, they don't feel dark/evil, like they did when they appeared in the main series.
I was disappointed by some of Ian C Essolments books for not being up to Malazan Standard set by Erikson, but this is by far the worst book in the series. I can't believe Erikson would publish this and put his name to it.
Korbal Broach's motivation for his "research" is disclosed by Bauchelain(at least one of them). But over all a very disappointing and boring read.
Stay well clear unless you want to read every thing about the Malazan world how ever good or bad.

2.0 out of 5 stars republished early work., 30 Jun 2011
D. J. Ketchin "living in books" (Edinburgh Uk) - See all my reviews
This was a very tough review for me to write as Steven Erikson is and will remain one of my favorite current writers. I stress that this is a review of a book which is quite old compared to all his current Malazan novels.

The book consists of 3 stories originally published separately and collected here. The stories follow the adventures of the 2 titular characters - both unsavory necromancers as they travel the world fleeing the consequences of their own actions. The characters are mentioned in but do not participate directly in the Tales of the Malazan. The setting is the world of the Malazan Empire from his later books. The storyline is not connected in any way to the Malazan stories.

Many of the elements of his other books are mentioned - warrens, Forkrul Assail, Jahgut, Hood etc but most are undeveloped name dropping. In some places the names of races from the main books are used but spelled differently. This appeared confusing to me as did the differences in style. The writing is that of an early Erikson still developing his hallmark phraseology. Its occasionally disjointed, somewhat rambling, with moments of genius. There are entire paragraphs without sentences - particularly in the first part of the book, where this may be charming in his later works , here it is not.

This is a reprint and reissue of an out of print book to push sales. Its really not up to scratch and of much lower quality than Eriksons later works. Its bad for the reader and its bad for the writer as this is not representative of his current work. I was quite shocked when reading this. I didn't much enjoy this. It pains me to give one of my favorite authors such a bad score but it is what it is.

I would not suggest buying this as an introduction to Erikson. Its not representative of Eriksons current work. I would only advise buying this if you are a collector who absolutely has to have all of an authors works.

[edit] Please note this is only my opinion and at least some people disagree. Please read the comments for a full and balanced viewpoint. I am apparently incorrect in stating the material is quite old - it is however correct to say it is a republishing of 3 older short stories which were of limited availability from 2002 - 2007. To me they do not appear to be written to the same level of ability of any of the main books in the tales of the Malazan series and therefore to me felt as if the stories were much older pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, quirky and wonderful, 6 Nov 2010
J. Jensen - See all my reviews
If you bought this compilation you are probably already familiar with the world of Steven eriksons Malazans, and if you havent read these books, then it might all seem very strange at first glance. The first time we hear of Bauchelain and Broach is in Memories of Ice, the third book in the Malazan books of the fallen, where they appear like bats out of hell, strange, dark and imposing, but also incredibly quirky and larger than life. Literally. The stories in the compilation adress how Emancipoor got to work for the necromancers, and why he after 3 years is still working for them, reduced to a neurotic mess that he is. The characters of Bauchelain and Broach are given more depth, and gives you a much better understanding of their workings in Memories of Ice, something I thoroughly appreciated on my second read through of the book. These strange men, who like so many other of Eriksons character more or less wills into being the reality around them, are often times completely out of their depths, but somehow come through relatively unscathed, although to the reader their ego's seem bruised, they never seem to linger on the setbacks long, before messing with things way beyond their means again and again. Incredibly well written, funny with great dialogue, both inner and outer, I heartily recommend the book. You get the first 3 of the stories in this volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice in-fill for these characters, 20 Oct 2013
M. Malthouse (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Of all the minor characters in The Malazan Book of the Fallen Bauchelain and Korbal Broach are among the more fascinating. But the best part of this is the back-story of Emancipor "Mancy" Reese, their man-servant. The bathos of his antics provides much humour.

And despite the uber-dark nature of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach and their activities this is often funny. Lighter, of necessity, than the main canon of books but no less good for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars A high-paced excursion into the world of the Malazan & associated peoples, 19 July 2013
Steven Erikson's usual style becomes mildly more comedic here, though not to the detriment of the story. As a reader, you are somewhat expected to 'hit the ground running' - but presumably you would only buy this book having progressed far enough through the 'Malazan Book of the Fallen' far enough to encounter Bauchelain & Korbal Broach, so a proportion of existing knowledge is assumed. Overall a very entertaining read - and more 'tales' would certainly be welcome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and funny but a bit too short, 2 May 2013
T. Zielinski (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
The short stories are good and funny, but I expected something a bit longer. In this book the negative characters are no longer so negative as in the main Malazan epic

4.0 out of 5 stars Padded out book, 19 Jan 2012
I enjoyed these tales and found them to be typical Steven Erikson.
However I was most disapointed that the chapters were generally only 4 or 5 pages long and in some instance's a page or less. This combined with the 3 appendix by other authors at the back of the book creates a book with 400 pages that could probably have been less than 300 pages.

2.0 out of 5 stars Steven Erikson - ghost writer? let's hope so, 8 Nov 2010
wow! this was a really poor read. After being memerised by the Malazan tales this book stunned me with the low quality of writing (in my opinion), the stilted content (in my opinion), a chapter every other page.....was this really written by the glorious Mr Erikson? good grief I hope not! Have gone back to the wheel of time series......

The Tales Of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, Vol 1 (Malazan Empire)
The Tales Of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, Vol 1 (Malazan Empire) by Steven Erikson (Paperback - 26 May 2011)