4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling Conclussion to a great series.
The concluding part of the trilogy and to be honest its one that has felt forever in arriving. It's a book that I've been demanding for ages and to be honest counting down the day has really been a hardship. So was it worth my time, have I been right in counting down?

Published 16 months ago by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

Although I am not averse to a bit of poetry now and again, and I can understand the the author wanting to bring attention to the art of poetry, however I felt it was detrimental to the flow of the story.The poetry was good, it just did not fit in context with the story and there was too much of it.
I question whether it was written with the intent of creating a...
Published 5 months ago by Cheryl M-M

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling Conclussion to a great series., 14 Mar 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

In short, yes I was, its hard hitting and with so many threads to tie up its going to be a book that is not only high octane but one that will keep the reader guessing to the end. It has great prose, some wonderful turns of phrase and for me the real triumph is the authors utilisation of the characters that we've come to care about in the previous two instalments. All round a cracking end and one that will leave many fans worn out wondering what the two authors are going to hit back with.

2.0 out of 5 stars A highly disappointing end..., 19 Jun 2014
This had the promise to be a truly wonderful trilogy, if the first instalment was anything to go by. However, the final instalment lacked almost everything the first two had in spades.

Many of the chapters were in the point of view of Marduk, a lacklustre villain who definitely didn't leave me looking over my shoulder with a seemingly pointless plot about stock market trading, that had little to do with anything the previous two books had worked towards.

The action was cumbersome and oftentimes nonsensical, leaving my head whirling with how poorly it was written.

Many loose ends were tied up in such an abrupt and unexpected manor, I found myself going back over them to make sure that what I had read had actually happened. None of these were satisfying.

The most disappointing part of the book was the ending. It almost didn't end, it was just as though the author's got bored and gave up.

I write this review an a disappointed reader. I read it in two days but only because I was hurrying to read something better. Such a shame.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bitter disappointment, 23 May 2014
This review is from: The Shape Stealer (Black Swan Rising Trilogy 3) (Paperback)
I can't really say much about this book, only that I didn't enjoy it. I found it lacking substance and there were with lots of holes in the plot. It was disjointed and disappointing. I felt the Authors really lost momentum in this book. It was as though they had lost interest in Garet James and all her acquaintances.

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, the second one wasn't as good as the first but this final book - well, I guess my giving it 2 stars tells all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending, 20 Mar 2014
I was really disappointed with this book which drifted to a very disappointing ending it didn't live up to the first two in the series at all. Although I finished it I found I didn't really care much by the end and I am not sure the authors did either.

3.0 out of 5 stars Opening up portals for time-travel might allow someone to travel who shouldn't..., 16 Feb 2014
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I question whether it was written with the intent of creating a setting for the poetry, which was why the actual story within the book was given less attention. A pity really, the two entities should have been presented individually to give them both justice.
As for the story, well there was so much going on it felt as if an explosion of ideas had been crowded into a confined space.
The old Will new Will sub-plot could have been explored a little more. It was certainly one of the more interesting ideas, although I still don't understand why old Will would have thought the new Will would be more suited to the woman he apparently loves.
I would suggest reading the previous two books in the series to get a better feel of the events and characters.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed being back in this world but the ending, for me, just fizzled out, 2 Feb 2014
Shazjera (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The story starts where we left off. Garet has time-travelled back from 1602 with Will but it’s the wrong one! Not only that, they also brought back Marduk. Marduk doesn’t waste any time in causing chaos using the nave Will so we’re off to an exciting start. Marduk is in partnership with Dee so you know they’re planning something diabolical!

Garet is directed to the Institut Chronologique which I loved. Such a great concept. I enjoyed finding out about the changes the Will who was left behind made to show Garet in the present time his love!

The clues were brilliant and following them gave everyone the chance to use their skills to work their magic. Garet is a lot stronger in this final book and although she is so disappointed that she brought the wrong Will back, her feelings grow and change. There was a very poignant moment in their relationship.

The ‘older’ Will is still around in the present time and even though he tries not to get involved, his role of protector is something else I enjoyed. Loved that he learnt how to manipulate atoms.

There is only one thing that didn’t work for me and that’s the ending. After turning those pages, loving being back with the characters, enjoying Garet’s quest (and loving the action), I thought the story just fizzled out.

I think you need to read the other books in the trilogy to have an understanding of the foundations.

If you enjoy the metaphysical and paranormal you will enjoy this trilogy. Personally, I would love to see a story from the authors with the Institut Chronologique at the heart of it.

I would like to thank the publishers for accepting my request to review via Netgalley.

2.0 out of 5 stars good book but just not one for me :(, 4 Jan 2014
The Shape Stealer. Lee Carroll

ARC provided via Netgalley.

Written by husband and wife team Carol Goodman and Lee Slonimsky. Though I hadn't read the first two books in this trilogy I simply loved Carol's Fairwick Chronicles, and this looked to be a similar type of book. So I read the samples of books one and two - I usually find that's enough to allow me to keep up when I jump into an existing series - and went from there.
This book is really complex though, and in honesty I needed to read those earlier books to fully to appreciate the story. I found myself floundering over events, trying to understand the complex time travel machinations in the book, and not sure of the characters. I need to feel "there" in the book, usually I'd be Garet in my mind, seeing events alongside her, but I felt a bit detached because there was so much I just didn't understand. That's my fault for thinking I could pick up such a complex book. My Bad :( Still, for those who love a story that has more than just a boy meets girl romance, and who want snippets of history intertwined with vampires, and other supernatural creatures this trilogy may be what they're looking for. Just don't think you can pick up book three though as I did - you really do need to read books one and two to fully appreciate the story and the way its written.
Apart from the difficulties in following the story though, I had specifics I really wasn't keen on - the poetry...it didn't add anything I found, and in fact I ended up skipping it each time I came to it. Then the romance - it's not classed as a romance novel, but somehow I was expecting a bit more than we got. Young Will was just such a put off, he really read like a typical teenager, arrogant and foolhardy, and not the "better person" Old Will seemed to think he was. Then there was Old Will - we met him eventually, but there didn't really seem to be much closeness between him and Garet considering all they'd gone through to be together...it could have been though that I was skim reading by then, being so lost that I simply couldn't read the book in the way I usually would.
Stars: It's difficult to assess really - but on how I personally enjoyed it - and that's how I always rate - this is just a two/three star. It is very well written, it is a sweeping, eventful story and yet I simply didn't gel with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Jan 2014
CaroleHarry (England, Guisborough) - See all my reviews
I have loved this trilogy. However you do need to read all three books in order.it really is just one long book. Lots of lose ends to be tied up so scope for more books. I really hope so, meanwhile I'm investigating other works by Carol Goodman.

5.0 out of 5 stars another brilliant book series, 29 Dec 2013
We'll done keep on writing. I have enjoyed your books just what I needed after fairwick books, I can't wait for more

1.0 out of 5 stars It didn't even start well.., 17 Nov 2013
I read and enjoyed the first one, and the second one was alright, a bit slow, but I put that down to second-book-syndrome. But the third was appalling. It is very rare that I don't finish a book, but I couldn't bring myself to finish this one.

The Shape Stealer (Black Swan Rising Trilogy 3)
The Shape Stealer (Black Swan Rising Trilogy 3) by Lee Carroll (Paperback - 2 Jan 2014)
6.29