Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 7 April 2012
Fabio Capello is a great football manager. This book offers a great review of Fabio's life the keys to his success. It would have been nice to read more about his family. The gist you do get is that he has a great relationship with his wife, Laura and this is where he gets a lot of his power from. Too bad to see him the England job. However, Fabio is a man that believes in respect and the FA did undermine his authority which caused him to resign. It is a great loss for England, as I believe a great team was starting to unfold. There are very few managers in the world with Capello's track record, his experience & skill.

I picked up a few great ideas from this book and I am sure you will to!
VINE VOICEon 16 May 2009
In this impeccably researched and detailed life of Fabio Capello, Gabriel Marcotti succeeds in unraveling England's brilliant but frequently enigmatic manager. Perhaps because as English fans we are spoiled by foreign imports, Capello's true pedigree is sometimes underestimated. But Marcotti outlines in precise detail the extent of his successes: nine league titles in sixteen seasons at four different clubs. It is an achievement unparalleled in modern football.

Anyone who listens to Marcotti on FiveLive on a Friday night will be aware of his passion and knowledge of world football. He is a charming if not slightly anoraky broadcaster and comes across similarly in his biography of Capello . I particularly enjoyed the recounting of Capello's playing career in the 1960s and 1970s, also the account of his time with Milan in the early-1990s.

However, sometimes I felt bombarded by detail and that this book would have benefited from stricter editing. The prose is occasionally flabby and prone to cliché. Sometimes Marcotti is too keen to insert himself into the narrative and to validate his work by showing how close he is to a source.

But otherwise this is a fine, well researched and often compelling book that draws its elusive subject from his shell. Indeed after reading it, I feel more assured of England's prospects at the next World Cup than I have for a long time.
on 9 September 2008
As a Marcotti fan, let me just state that Marcotti's biography is, for me, one of the best of the year, and easily joins Patrick Barclay's biography of Mourinho (as well as the Ferguson biography, "This Is The One"), as the definitive work on its subject. That said, what are you waiting for? Put the order in.
on 30 November 2008
This was given to me as a present, not into "sports" books in general. however I felt this book got bogged down in the italian league to much as I would have liked to find out more about his early life to see what makes him tick. Also not sure if the if the scorer of the first goal in fifa world cup history and the true hero of "the mathews cup final"Stan Mortensonever visited Italy as claimed as I believe Stan was involved in a plane crash in the early days of the war while he was in the RAF, must have been a typo simular to the dust jacket getting the next world cup date wrong.