1,502 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Lee does no wrong!!
I just can't get enough of Jack Reacher. Perhaps no 18 was a bit far-fetched but couldn't put ti down
Published 28 days ago by Bettaboo

2.0 out of 5 stars Never go back?
As a Jack Reacher fan I was looking forward to being immersed in another gripping tale. Turns out that "never going back" might have been a better idea! Nowhere near up to standard.....sorry Lee.
Published 10 months ago by J D Sibbert

2.0 out of 5 stars Never go back?, 20 Sep 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!!!, 7 Sep 2013
I was very disappointed with this book, I am sorry to say. I am dedicated Reacher creature, and I felt this book was pretty boring compared to the other Reacher thrillers. It lacked substance, especially after the build up in previous books about Jack heading to Virginia to meet the mysterious Major Turner. A bit of an anti-climax!! When I finished the book, I felt like `is that it?` sorry Lee Child, a poor effort from you this time round!! :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Was this really written by Lee Child?, 31 Dec 2013
This is the first really poor Jack Reacher novel for me. The plot was feeble and contrived. The story really plodded along, and the dialogue was often painful, juvenile and sometimes cringeworthy. For the first time, I thought Reacher was a bit of a muppet rather then the cool devil-may-care hero. I couldn't recommend this novel to anyone over the age of 13. Hopefully this isn't the end of Jack Reacher...

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated reacher fan, 7 Sep 2013
Writing this review I feel a sense of déjà vu as I said similar things about the previous book in the reacher series. I hate to say it but the books are getting worse and worse. I am amazed so many 5 star ratings have been assigned as this book is nowhere near as good as some of the earlier books in the series.

This book just descended into a cat and mouse affair for almost the whole book. Reacher evading captors. This time he had a sidekick. I don't want reacher to have a partner! I want him kicking ass on his own in desperate situation. The plot for this book was so thin andvdescended into one long chase. A ridiculous subplot which I won't mention.

Lee - please take a break and get back to the style of the books in the early days. I am full of admiration for what you've achieved and know I will keep reading these books hoping for a return to form

1.0 out of 5 stars Scandalously Bad Thriller, 10 Nov 2013
Way the worst Reacher.

Plods along listlessly, through a numbingly implausible plot, and depends on a central 'mystery' that anyone with half a brain will figure out 250 pages before Reacher. Ooh, what could they possibly be importing? Sadly leaves one feeling that Reacher's a bit slow.

All the baddies are pussies; none of them is remotely a match for Reacher.
Susan Turner turns out to be way less beguiling in the flesh than on the phone.

I've never read a best-selling thriller before where the concluding climax happens without the protagonist actually lifting a finger.
Therefore this is the worst-plotted and worst-edited best-selling thriller I've ever read.

What a shame; I love Jack Reacher, and judging by the evidence here on Amazon he's got the smartest and most eloquent fans.

And I'm not taking the mickey - Lee Child seems to be giving it up voluntarily.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Lee Child but..., 3 Sep 2013
I have read every Lee Child book over the past 15 years or so, and love them whether or not they're good. It's a bit like meeting up with an old friend: sometimes you have a good giggle, sometimes it's day-to-day mundane stuff. This is one of the mundane ones and I can't help feel he's getting a little bored with writing them.

The story is very thin and excessively implausible and the pace erratic. I know, reality is not where it's at with Lee Child, but with this one it was hard to suspend disbelief. I found myself struggling through to the disappointing end.

So, not his best, sadly. I'll go on reading him, but I do think he needs to pep it up a bit, give Jack a shake up, make the story the thing and surprise his readers occasionally maybe? If he goes on like this he's at risk of turning Jack into a parody of himself, a cartoon-like character who just does the same thing, over and over and over...

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 11 Sep 2013
I've read all the Reacher books and loved most of them. But the last few have definitely been going downhill. This one was tedious in the extreme. Clunky dialogue. I was so bored that I struggled to get to the end. Speed-read the last couple of chapters so really no idea what was going on at all.

I think Lee Child has sold out now - letting Tom Cruise be Reacher. And now he really can't be bothered to cobble together a decent yarn.

I shan't be bothering with the next one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 8 Dec 2013
This is the first Jack Reacher that I have struggled to finish. Lacks a live story. I hope it is a one off and Lee Child returns to normal.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly very disappointing !, 17 Feb 2014
A confirmed and committed Jack Reacher fan, I was slightly taken aback when I read some of the negative reviews of ' Never go back'. However, no holiday would be complete without a 'Reacher' fix, so I hit the 'buy now' button. Unfortunately I have to agree with other reviewers, this was not Lee Child at his best at all ! His decision to take Reacher on a drive across America for most of the book turned it into little more than a travelogue, and I found myself skipping page after page of ' filler ' detail rather than solid plot content. It would be a sad day indeed if Lee Child has indeed burned out, I do hope he hasn't . If it is time to hang up his pen then surely better to do it on a very successful high rather than rely on some very familiar elements of the Jack Reacher formula to extend his life unnaturally.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not one of his best, 3 Nov 2013
Ending was lame. Plot was a bit thin. Too little Reacher logic and a lot of aimless action. The Baldacci reference was writers arrogance. Lee Child's needs to remember it is his readers that make him famous.

Never Go Back: (Jack Reacher 18)
Never Go Back: (Jack Reacher 18) by Lee Child (Paperback - 27 Mar 2014)
3.85