5.0 out of 5 stars A latter day western
I get the impression that this is the book that Lee Child has always wanted to write. The lone hero up against the family controlled town is a theme we are familiar with from all those old Western films we used to watch and it is brought bang up to date with this effort. It is no coincidence that the book is set in the heart of cowboy country in Nebraska.

I...
Published on 30 Sep 2010 by Big Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok I guess
This was another fine example of Lee Child's incredible writing talents which is why it is being given the three star rating, because even though it was really well written and laid out with plenty of action and mystery to it that kept me reading to find out more, I was disappointed.

Published on 20 Oct 2010 by B. Briggs

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok I guess, 20 Oct 2010
B. Briggs (East Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews

This was supposed to be a follow on from 61 hours, which was why I bought this book, because I wanted to know what happened to Reacher and if he escaped, instead, as pleased as I was that he did (obviously) survive, it offered only the vaguest of explanations and didn't even bother giving a full recount of how he managed to get out of his predicament at the end of 61 hours.

Impressive piece of writing, cannot wait for another, but I feel it could have recounted Reachers escape at the end of 61 hours.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth Dying For? Not really!, 18 Nov 2010
Nikki-ann - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having read 61 Hours: (Jack Reacher 14) (Jack Reacher Novel) by Lee Child (the previous book in the Jack Reacher series) and enjoying it, I decided to get the latest book in the Jack Reacher series, Worth Dying For. Well, 61 Hours had left us with a cliff hanger too, so I HAD to get Worth Dying for as it promised to tell us how he did it.

On his way through desolate Nebraska to Virginia to see the new CO of the 110th Special Unit, Jack Reacher arrives at a motel and encounters the local alcoholic doctor. The two end up visiting a victim of domestic violence, but Reacher soon learns that she's the least of their troubles. The victim is the wife of Seth Duncan and the Duncan family are running the town. People are afraid of them and what they'll do if they step out of line. Jack Reacher, of course, won't stand for this and sets about vengeance.

I expected the book to start with telling us how Jack seemingly survived the end of 61 Hours, but it didn't and I was a third of the way through the book before I found out. Was it worth it? No, not really. I don't know what I expected, but, for whatever reason, I found it a bit disappointing and not worth the suspense from the end of the previous book.

Furthermore, I became increasingly annoyed at Jack Reacher. While I'm aware that his life was in danger (well, it was after he stuck his nose in), I became increasingly annoyed at the increasing body count (whether injured or murdered). The man seems to come across as if he's the law and God forbid if you get in his way! Where's the justice in that? I like that he helps people, but I also believe that somebody who has done wrong should stand trial and take their punishment from the law, not from one man. He also seems to think that he'll get away with what he's done.

Also, Jack Reacher is quite obviously hurting from what happened at the end of the previous book, 61 Hours. This is made plainly obvious in the first half of the book, but then it's as it those injuries have been forgotten in the latter half of the book.

So while I enjoyed 61 Hours, I wasn't so thrilled with this book. It was far too violent and a bit far fetched for me. Will I be reading any other Jack Reacher books? Probably not.

5.0 out of 5 stars A latter day western, 30 Sep 2010
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

I can't fault the book. I doubt this will be anyone's first exposure to Jack Reacher therefore you will know what to expect. He gets into scrapes he could avoid but chooses not to and he knows just how much violence is required to get out of these scrapes. His knack of being always (well almost allways) right can be a tad annoying at times, perhaps he is just TOO infallible, but that's one of the joys of this series. He's not a superman but equally he's not an everyman. He's jack Reacher, he has his standards and he will stick to them.

Plot? Well 15 books into the series this is possibly the most believeable plot of them all. It is genuinely thrilling and as the book reaches its climax it becomes increasingly difficult to put down. In fact as you may guess from this review, I got this book this morning and have read it virually non-stop since getting home which by my reckoning means it took me just over 9 hours to read, which may suggest a "slight" read but believe me it really means it grips from page 1 and won't let go.

I've had my doubts about some previous volumes in this series, but 61 Hours and now this one have re-established my faith in Lee Child. One problem. Since I've read this one so soon after publication it will be ages till the next one comes out. I may have to return to some of the earlier books to pass the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reacher (continued), 5 Oct 2010
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
"To be continued" it said at the end of the last book, ending on a bit of a cliff-hanger. That kind of raised expectations that this would be a continuation of that book, but no this is a stand alone story although Reacher carries forward some injuries and there is a very brief explanation as to how he got them.

The iconic loner/drifter Reacher is in bleak Nebraska and gets caught up in a region ruled by the Duncan family who are waiting for a mysterious shipment and Reacher seems to be an obstacle. The last book "61 Hours" had a strong element of waiting for something to come in, and we have seen quite a bit of Reacher in bleak American towns, so there were elements that felt familiar. Reacher also discovers that a girl went missing many years ago and once his sense of justice kicks in, there is no way he can leave until he resolves things.

Typical Reacher then, a page turner with a great character. Perhaps too samey to other Reacher stories to be one of the author's best, but it is still sucks you in and makes you want to read just one more page.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth Dying For, 9 Nov 2010
A. Summers "Spooks addict" (Dubai UAE) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of Lee Child ever since I read his first book 12 years ago. I avidly await the next Jack Reacher instalment and have recommended his books to a number of friends who are equally hooked. I have to say that Worth Dying For is a bit of a disappointment. The book plodded through to the end with turgid writing, a poor plot, stated the obvious and with little wit in the dialogue, and bodies piling up. I get the impression that Mr Child's publishers were pressing him to rush out another novel within six months (readers usually wait a year between instalments). I am sure that he did his best but I am afraid the haste shows. Nevertheless I hope this is just a blip and that Jack Reacher will be back on form in the next novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars has JR reached his natural end?, 21 Mar 2011
I've read all the Jack Reacher novels and have for some time been suspicious of a change in his character. He seems to be getting more superhero less credible in each of the last 3 or so novels. I feel he has gained a touch of "celebrity" about him which doesn't make for comfortable reading. I'm sure he's wading into situations announcing himself and his past occupation far more readily than ever before. But... still a gripping read with a great plot. Similar plot line to 61Hours with an unknown hoard/cargo keeping us guessing.
i think JR's getting a bit tired. Time for a new character LC?

3.0 out of 5 stars Lee, you need to move on........., 13 Nov 2010
I have enjoyed most Child/Reacher novels and keep coming back despite growing concerns that Child has done Reacher to death.

And that's probably because this is again an exciting read, in many respects, and full of action. The cores of the story are the delivery of some mystery cargo (type only revealed towards the end of the book, so I won't give it away) and a 25 year old community mystery (again, I'll avoid more specific reference).

But for fans the concerns are also many.

For a start this book is stand-alone and not a sequel to '61 Hours', despite a passing reference to what happened in the earlier novel. Those hanging on for the continuation will feel as though they have been duped.

And the formula has becoming tiring - Reacher ends up in a small country town, is made to feel unwelcome and feels obliged to seek out and right some wrongs. (If I were American I wouldn't be too thrilled about how parts of rural America are portrayed). And our Reacher today is all about brute force, unlike the earlier days when a lot of sound thinking also helped him solve problems.

And the ingredients in this novel just went a little too far for me - not only do we have a dominant local family as the bad guys, but we also have Italians, Lebanese and Iranians in the picture with their only role being to provide more action as they go about killing each other.

Child and Reacher have been great together, but I think it's time to move on as the sameness has become boring and the extremes just too far-fetched. 7/10 (Kindle version)

4.0 out of 5 stars " Jacob Duncan said, 'Who the hell IS this guy?' ", 1 Oct 2010
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a very enjoyable, vintage Reacher adventure. It starts well, slows a bit in the middle, but then picks up with a high body count towards the end. The plot is pleasingly complex and all the strands are sewn up neatly and logically by the end.

It kicks off shortly after 61 Hours. Yes Reacher is alive, although you won't find out how he survived until about a third of the way through.

Reacher is in rural Nebraska. He's on his way to Virginia and only intends to stop for a night, when he is drawn into what initially looks like a domestic dispute but ends up being something much bigger. The town is under the control of a very unpleasant family called the Duncans, who own a transportation company. The local farmers are dependent on the company and therefore live in fear of them. The Duncans have an important shipment coming in, which has been delayed. This is causing problems for their customer and for the customers of their customer. Consequently a food chain of increasingly nasty villains gets involved, with lots of double crossing and mind games going on. Tied into all this somehow is the mystery of a local girl who disappeared 25 years ago and whose body has never been found.

The setting adds a lot to the tension. Reacher needs to hide in a flat and empty landscape where a man can be seen a mile away, with the locals unwilling to help a stranger.

There is one section in the middle that reminded me of Nothing To Lose, with its endless trudging around small town Colorado in the dark, but this lull was temporary and the momentum picked up quickly again. I also liked the way that Lee Child incorporates Reacher's physical limitations. Reacher is no genius this time around: his deductions are logical and he misses a couple of pretty obvious tricks. All in all, it's another nail biting installment in a terrific series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Diminishing returns setting in?, 12 Oct 2010
Torgo (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been a big fan of the Jack Reacher series for years, so it's sad to give this new novel a 2 star review. But this is probably the worst - or worst equal - book so far.

Child's best books have interesting, clever plot twists - KILLING FLOOR, THE VISITOR, ONE SHOT - or at the least, interesting settings or subject matter - the one on the militia base, say, or PERSUADER, or THE ENEMY. And another big plus was how varied his books are - Reacher remains the same, but the situations were all different. But now it seems that Child is repeating himself, because this feels like the third time we're doing ECHO BURNING.

ECHO BURNING was a pretty good one: Jack wanders in to a small rural town, gets involved with a woman trapped in an awful situation, and sorts it out with his usual satisfying blend of extreme violence and cleverness. Then we had NOTHING TO LOSE, which until now was the worst in the series, and it was essentially a pale retread of the same plot, except this time there were two small rural towns, and Jack spent about half the book driving back and forth between them.

You can tell when Child is spinning his wheels, because Jack does a lot of driving back and forth in this one.

Jack turns up in a little town whose name I have already forgotten, and I read this last week. This town is home to about ten people, who are extremely sketchily portrayed. There's Vince (or was it Vinnie?) who runs a hotel; a maid; a doctor and his wife; a Damsel in Distress; her sleazy abusive husband; and some bad guys related to said sleazebag.

The bad guys, the Duncans, are three brothers whom Child never bothers to differentiate or individualise. There's no reason we need three of them when they're all basically the same person. Equally, he never bothers giving the doctor or his wife names, even though they show up a lot and have important roles in the plot. The whole thing feels paper-thin.

When auxiliary bad guys are required, Child sends in multiple interchangeable Nebraskan football players (whom Reacher beats savagely but repetitively) and sundry Iranians, Syrians and Italians (who are part of the unconvincing organized crime plot and who basically cancel each other out entirely). Again, nothing feels like it has any real thought behind it. It feels like working to formula, and that's exactly the opposite of what makes this series enjoyable.

A word on the overarching plot: it all hinges on a mysterious cargo being smuggled in from Canada. Child seems to feel that the nature of this cargo is so intriguing that the reveal constitutes a surprise worth waiting for. But, unusually for a Jack Reacher plot, you may - like me - figure it out within fifty pages or so. And it isn't worth waiting for even if you didn't.

Perhaps two books in one year (this and the underwhelming, three-star 61 HOURS) was a mistake? Please, Jack, don't come back until you have something clever to do? I don't just stick around for the violence.

1.0 out of 5 stars Preposterous!, 5 Sep 2012
This review is from: Worth Dying For: (Jack Reacher 15) (Paperback)
What a load of nonsense!

The Hero kills or maims some 20 Baddies over the course of several days without attracting any police attention.

When the Baddies capture the Hero they keep him alive instead of killing him, so of course (as in so many books & films) he escapes and the carnage continues.

The innocent locals stick around to witness all this and become involved, instead of heading for the hills like rational people would.

Every time a Baddy gets out of his vehicle he leaves the keys in it so the Hero can steal it.

An American woman who speaks no Thai discusses plans with Thai refugees, who speak no English.

The Baddies leave their victims' remains lying around to be discovered, instead of destroying or burying them.

Etc etc etc.

Worth Dying For: (Jack Reacher 15)
Worth Dying For: (Jack Reacher 15) by Lee Child (Paperback - 4 Aug 2011)
3.50