4.0 out of 5 stars Different approach to the Malazan world
I like Esslemonts story telling and in my opinion this book is one of his better ones. The territory is relatively virginal with regards to what Erikson has written about, and I think this plays out in Esslemonts favor, or should have. Because fewer people would be dissapointed by how favorite oldtimers were used/written by Esslemont as opposed to Erikson. I think he is...
Published 10 months ago by J. Jensen

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit hit and miss
I suppose it's difficult to consistently write well. But this one is probably the weakest in the series ICE has done
Published 19 months ago by A. Robinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome as usual, 18 Dec 2012
I await anything by Esslemont and Erikson like the coming of xmas.... and so it is :)

You have to be up to speed with all things Malazan to appreciate any of these books as the story lines and characters are so complex and interwoven - often find myself having to re-read the previous books to fully appreciate them. But that's what I like about these authors as they don't pander to critics by oversimplifying, but stick to their style and that's what I personally want. Just gets better and better with each book and the unfolding story just gets more engrossing with every page. Love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love to be back in the realm of the Malazan, 12 Dec 2012
Usual interlocking storylines, you get interested in one and your on to the next. If you have read all the others you know more than the characters in the story.
Great read

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one to date, 15 Aug 2014
Ian has proved right from book 1 that he can take up the mantle provided by Steven Erikson. This is no exception, being the best book written by him to date.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'll just read Eriksons books now, 7 Mar 2013
I'm a Malazan addict,BUT!
Having read this book, Stoneweilder and Return of Crimson Guard, I am finally going to give up on ICE. He is simply not a storyteller. He lacks Eriksons prose, humour and plot building. One example is when Shadowthrone and cotillion put in an appearance. Erickson has made these two among my favorite characters, he writes them with pathos and great humour, whilst they are cardboard cutouts in this novel. I'm surprised that Erikson allows his close friend to ruin their joint project. ICE who undoubtably is a talented man however is not a novelist. So despite the fact it means I'll have to wait longer for my next dose of Malazan, I'd rather do that than suffer further disapointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Esslemonts best to date, 19 Nov 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've been a huge fan of the Malazan world since I was introduced to it by Stephen Erikson's epic Book of the Fallen series. But in addition to this the world was co-developed by Ian C Esslemont who has brought his own take on the events that shaped it with his own series. Whilst originally I wasn't as enamoured as I had been with Stephen's each subsequent tale has built upon the success and lessons learned from the former, so much so that for me, each book is superior to the last.

Here we have great prose, a wonderful sense of pace and when backed with a story that has a huge arc where nothing is what it seems or what the casts life expectancy is going to be. Wrap that all up with some magical sleight of hand and all in the reader is in for a treat.

4.0 out of 5 stars top class, 7 Jan 2013
Best malazan book in a long time, and I have read all of them. Can't help but like Kallor, he is the coolest megalamaniac in fiction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blood and bone, 17 Dec 2012
Average scenario, not enough story line. lurches back and forth expected more use of warrens etc. and elder gods etc

3.0 out of 5 stars Avid Malazan reader, 6 Dec 2012
not as good as previous books in the Malazan world. The action was quite lacking and soem of the story lines didn't really do it for me..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blood and Bone: A Novel of the Malazan Empire (Malazan Empire 5)
Blood and Bone: A Novel of the Malazan Empire (Malazan Empire 5) by Ian C Esslemont (Paperback - 10 Oct 2013)
6.29