Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 March 2016
As a big fan of the Malazan univers, I would recommend this book, but make sure you have read the entire series by Steven Erikson first. The book is a lot more fun when you understand the references. What I love about both Esslemont and Erikson is that they trust their readers enough to avoid the standard 'summaries' in every book. I'm giving Blood and Bone four stars only - mainly in comparison to other, more engaging books in the series. Still some great moments and some, by now, classic Erikson/Esslemont convergences. The use of language is brilliant as always.
on 13 October 2014
Hmm, I am a bit in two minds about the Malazan empire. Loved the early books and even managed to slog through to the final book. Thought the last couple of books where hard to finish. Actually just started to re-read it and i have picked up alot i missed before.

The Ian C books get a bit of bad press, So for I have really enjoyed them. Particularly the Crimson Guard. However I found this and the last book really hard to finish. They are very disjointed and hard to follow. And this one in particular was a little bit predictable.
on 7 March 2013
I'm a Malazan addict,BUT!
Having read this book, Stoneweilder and Return of Crimson Guard, I am finally going to give up on ICE. He is simply not a storyteller. He lacks Eriksons prose, humour and plot building. One example is when Shadowthrone and cotillion put in an appearance. Erickson has made these two among my favorite characters, he writes them with pathos and great humour, whilst they are cardboard cutouts in this novel. I'm surprised that Erikson allows his close friend to ruin their joint project. ICE who undoubtably is a talented man however is not a novelist. So despite the fact it means I'll have to wait longer for my next dose of Malazan, I'd rather do that than suffer further disapointment.
on 12 December 2012
Usual interlocking storylines, you get interested in one and your on to the next. If you have read all the others you know more than the characters in the story.
Great read
on 6 January 2013
a thoroughly enjoyable read well up to the standard of Mr esslemonts previous efforts.good plotlines well developed characters and a quite frankly I could not put it down
on 19 December 2014
This was superb. I didn't think Steven Erikson's contributions could be matched, but these are just as good and fill in gaps as well. What a great collaboration!
on 15 August 2014
Ian has proved right from book 1 that he can take up the mantle provided by Steven Erikson. This is no exception, being the best book written by him to date.
I've been a huge fan of the Malazan world since I was introduced to it by Stephen Erikson's epic Book of the Fallen series. But in addition to this the world was co-developed by Ian C Esslemont who has brought his own take on the events that shaped it with his own series. Whilst originally I wasn't as enamoured as I had been with Stephen's each subsequent tale has built upon the success and lessons learned from the former, so much so that for me, each book is superior to the last.

Here we have great prose, a wonderful sense of pace and when backed with a story that has a huge arc where nothing is what it seems or what the casts life expectancy is going to be. Wrap that all up with some magical sleight of hand and all in the reader is in for a treat.
on 20 February 2014
with so many sub plots it is difficuct to keep all the balls in the air and you might need to keep a chart to follow the progress of all the characters
on 19 April 2014
good very writer, has great very good plots, great series many different personalties covers a large number of areas, all well worth following