5.0 out of 5 stars If you like serial killer thrillers, here's a goodie
Published on 31 July 2006 by OEJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Not like the tv show
Good book with a good story but unfortunately I am a huge fan of the tv show Rizzoli & Isles so was disappointed that the book was quite different to the show. Don't expect a book like the programme if that's why you are purchasing the book.
Published 14 months ago by KAREN VOGAN

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like serial killer thrillers, here's a goodie, 31 July 2006
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This was my introduction to Tess Gerritsen and it has left a very positive impression, such that I have quickly ordered half-a-dozen more from her portfolio to add to the three I already own. As a background, I enjoy the works of Val Mcdermid, Karin Slaughter, Mark Billingham, PJ Tracy, Jeffrey Deaver, Simon Kernick and Jilliane Hoffman, all of whom have produced their own particular take on serial murder and who have at times also developed stories whose central theme is sexual assault, as is the case in The Surgeon.

There is never any doubt as to the authenticity and credibility of the events in and around the operating room, for this is a thriller with heavy emphasis on the anatomical aspects of assault and murder rather than a display of violence for its own sake. In this way the imagery created is altogether more convincing because the impression is always that the author is completely confident in describing the medical, physical and forensic details of events leading up to, and all police investigations after, a horrific sexually oriented murder.

In this, the first of what has become a series involving Boston-based homicide detective Jane Rizzoli and her partner in crime Detective Thomas Moore, three women have been assaulted (two fatally) and in a particularly gruesome fashion. It emerges that the very attractive surgeon Catherine Cordell is being hunted down by the killer, for she was once assaulted by a friend of his two years earlier when she lived further south in Savannah, Georgia. It seems that the killer has followed her to Boston and has a uniquely intimate understanding and knowledge of her body and movements, even though she has no recollection of ever having met him. Love blooms between Catherine and Moore, much to the disgust and possible jealousy of the less than stunning Rizzoli. Suspects in the form of red herrings are dangled here and there, and in fairness this is a thriller that could be said to thrill right to the very end - it could not be accused of being clichéd or formulaic, and the conclusion was, for a pleasant change, constructed and executed with skill and finesse. This is a story which cried out for a good ending and did not disappoint in this regard.

Welcome to the serial killer club, Tess - I hope the follow-ups to this introduction to the series are at least as good as this one. Definitely recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars absorbing, 4 Dec 2006
Andy Edwards "staxasoul" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Tess Gerritsen certainly likes to dwell on the gory details of the stories she creates, so this is not for the faint hearted, nor for those who do not want to be reminded of the depths of human depravity.

The story of a copycat serial killer and the increasingly frantic attempts to find him will involve you, and the ways he avoids detection, while continuing his gruesome quest, stay on the right side of believable. The characters are sufficiently well drawn to make you care about their fate and easily the most interesting of these is the female cop - there is much more material to come from this direction

This story continues the rise of Tess Gerritsen as an author worth reading and also the great tradition of "serial killer thrillers" a la Thomas Harris. If you are a fan of the genre then this will be right up your street, it's well written, the plot unfolds in a satisfying way without the "end of chapter cliffhanger" approach and there is plenty to keep you turning the page - recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily a Cover to Cover Read, 24 April 2003
Wendie Maria (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Surgeon (Paperback)
This book was absolutely brilliant - I am a fan of Patricia Cornwall , but she has not had anything out lately and I was missing that type of novel. Tried some other authors, but came across nothing sensational, then picked up The Surgeon - could not put it down and the last few chapters I actually had to stay up half the night until early hours of the morning to finish it, I honestly could not put it down even though my eyes were begging me to sleep.........
Now, I have to start The Apprentice......

5.0 out of 5 stars Bone-Chilling!, 5 Sep 2006
Tess Gerritsen is fast becoming one of my favourite crime writers. Not only for her good character development, and not only for the depth of the storyline itself, but mainly due to the bone-chilling suspense she's able to conjure.

In 'The Surgeon' we follow Detectives Thomas Moore and Jane Rizzoli who are on the track of someone who is seemingly copying a previous murderer. The only woman who survived the previous killer is once again a target, but this time is being targeted by the copycat killer. And 'The Surgeon' is torturing and killing his victims exactly as is predecessor did. But what is the link between the two? And what has Dr. Catherine Cordell, the survivor from the first killer, have to do with it?

The story is fascinating, and the suspense is thick. The imagery that Gerritsen is able to muster up in her description of the crime scenes makes you feel as if you can see it yourself...which is chilling, disturbing and intriguing all at the same time. It certainly makes for a great read, so this book is highly recommended to all seeking a thrilling read. But beware...easy sleep after a night of reading this is not guaranteed!

4.0 out of 5 stars chilling to the core, 11 Mar 2006
RD - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A killer is on the loose in Boston and there are chilling similarities to cases in a different city two years previously. It looks like a killer has come out of hiding but there's just one problem - he was killed by his last victim. She survived and is now a Dr in Boston...As you can expect the cops get her involved and suddenly the case seems to revolve around her with the killer tightening the noose....
I'll leave you to find out the rest.
The only reasons i gave it 4 stars is the use of a lot of technical medical and scientific terms when they arent really necessary. I'm a medical student and even i found reading some bits somewhat tedious as i tried to make sense of it all(maybe that was the problem?!?). Im not sure how others would react to all the jargon....
Secondly, i just have to admit that the beginning of the book didnt hold my attention and i was doing about 4pages at a time. At some point i hit gold...and stayed up till 4am cos i just couldnt get enough! 3hrs of sleep before ward rounds was unbelievably worth it...what a read!
i am now reading my second Gerritsen book (as it turns out The Surgeon is the first book of a series....) and i've only stopped cos i desperately needed to buy something off amazon and felt i had to spread the word!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Medical Thriller, 26 Sep 2003
Veronica (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Surgeon (Paperback)
The Surgeon introduces us to Jane Rizzoli and Thomas Moore, detectives investigating the brutal murder of a woman which links to other murders in the past – and the survivor of one of the attacks, Dr Catherine Cordell, a surgeon.
The characters are strong and interesting. The growing romantic relationship between Thomas Moore and Catherine Cordell may be predictable, but is believable. However the character that really stood out for me was Jane Rizzoli. This is a woman who is BITTER; about her family relationships (her mum and dad are much more interested in her brothers), about her status as the much put upon only female homicide detective for Boston PD, and about Thomas Moore’s attraction to Cordell which she deems as inappropriate and unfair. In many ways Jane and Catherine are polar opposites, Catherine is cold, icy and attractive, whilst Jane is fiery and blunt, and described as intense rather than pretty. I loved her character although she was often rude and belligerent, simply because she was so intriguing. It made a nice change for a woman to take centre stage in fiction who is complex, not classically beautiful, and rather controversial.
Overall The Surgeon accomplishes much. It is a smooth, thoughtful novel and I much admire Tess Gerritsen’s stylish writing. The plot is clever and pacy, and the insights into the murderer are chilling. The only complaint I have is when Catherine Cordell and Thomas Moore fall out for a long time when a simple phone call would have set everything straight, however, I suppose the nature of fiction requires some conflict to drive the plot along so I can forgive that! I’d recommend this to people who like competent thrillers, absorbing characters and are also looking for a bit of romance thrown into the mix as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 23 April 2008
Lisa (Leeds, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This book was passed to me by a friend as she knew i loved reading thrillers i.e. Relentless 'Simon Kernick'and i found it to be a fantastic read with which i couldn't put down. There were parts that made my heart pound and parts where i had to put the book down because i was scared to read anymore. I passed the book onto my mum and she was ringing me up and we found we ended up discussing it. My single friend would like to read it but i advised her not to i felt nervous reading it even with my husband sat at the side of me i'm never sleeping with my window open again!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoaster ride, 28 Nov 2003
ratscat13 "ratscat13" (North East Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Surgeon (Paperback)
This is the best serial killer book I have read for a long time if not ever. I love the fact that Jane Rizzoli, the lead homicide investigator, is not glamourous, does not get the guy, and doesn't always get it right. What a refreshing change.
This is one scary novel tracking through the heart of a medical facility in the heart of Boston.
Once you start this book you cannot put it down. If you are of a nervous disposition I would not recommend reading this alone. All in all fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 20 Mar 2012
Avid reader "Janet" (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This novel is the first book in the series that introduces homicide detective Jane Rizzoli (no sign of medical examiner Isles yet!) and her colleague Thomas Moore. If you are going to read a few of these books, its a good idea to read the novels in order, as the plot does develop the characters and storyline in subsequent books. The novels are so much better than the current TV series, in which the characters are very shallow and somewhat altered from the personalities of the novel. Don't watch TV, read the books!

I won't go into the plot in detail, as this has been done by other reviewers. What I will say is that I read the novel in 2 days, as once I had started, I couldn't put it down. I'm so looking forward to the next book in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 25 April 2007
Al (Farnborough, UK) - See all my reviews
I found this a highly absorbing read, dificult to put down. It's the first in a series of books about characters Rizzoli & Isles, so start here if you are thinking ro reading any of the others (The Apprentice, The Sinner, Body Double follow this one).

I used to enjoy Patricia Cornwell books, but they become more and more incredulous, samey and the characters got more and more unbelievable. Tess Gerritsens' books remind me in some ways of the good points of Cornwell's books. They are similar in that one of the central characters is a cheif medical examiner, but Tess Gerittsen lets some other characters take some of the glory, and the whole story and charcters are much more credible.

A word of warning - don't read the outline of The Apprentice before reading this book, as the Apprentice is a sequel to this one, and the description on the back of The Apprentice (repeated elsewhere) starts by saying how The Surgeon ends, because that's where the story picks up.

The Surgeon: Rizzoli & Isles series 1
The Surgeon: Rizzoli & Isles series 1 by Tess Gerritsen (Paperback - 1 Jan 2010)
5.59