Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

on 5 August 2013
I downloaded this book by error for my daughter's kindle. She is pony mad and has exhausted most of the pony stories out there. But what I wanted really was Katy's Pony Surprise (Katy's Ponies) by Victoria Eveleigh (excellent reviews) - which I also bought.

I did not want to return this one for a refund, I thought we will try them, and I think this book is quite good due to the lovely illustrations. They reminded me a little of the books Rainbow Fairies. They quite attractive for girls aged 8-12.

I have only two criticisms: The writing feels at times little bit too ''cool'' and superficial, how many times can you have ''babe'' and ''sweetheart'' and ''they legged it over'' (what is wrong with plain walking?''). Do all children speak like this nowadays? And, as the mother of a (beautiful) ten year old, I think the author put too much an emphasis on the prettiness of the girls when she describe them. Nothing wrong in describing them as pretty, but maybe not as stressed. But this is me, from my grown up's point of view. Maybe my daughter will feel differently.

The book particularly tackles sensitive subject like when a divorced parent meets someone else, how the girls react to this change. I thought it was done in quite a sensitive and sensible manner that many girls will be able to relate to.
Compared to other pony books from more known or popular authors, or just books for children, they are quite reasonably priced.
Would I buy more books in the series? If my daughter wants, yes, definitely.

*****************************

edited : September 2013 - No way I will buy another book in this series and from this author:

No, definitely not. I have changed my mind, and I let my daughter buying a few more, but in one of them, the girls called another one ''a cow'' (I think it is in the Katie's perfect ponies: Fancy dress ponies).
I told my daughter, no more Katie's perfect ponies, until the author become word perfect and does not want to make girls becoming judgemental, critical of others, bite biting mini adults, etc... What is this kind of role model the author want to give?
I made allowance for the ''cool'' language as described above, but I will not make allowance for this, in a book for young girls .

Even in the The Worst Witch (Puffin Modern Classics), where most of the girls cannot stand Ethel, they do not call her a 'cow'. I am actually very, very disappointed. I think they are better children authors out there who deserve my hard earned money.

Sissy's Mum.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 July 2014
the reason being, I haven't read it. It was bought for my 9 year old daughter - who will gladly read anything that contains a sniff of something horsey.

Now, she says it was "a good book and she enjoyed it". When I tried to draw her on the characters, the plot and description...she said it was "a good book and she enjoyed it - and what did I mean by those other things".

So...i'm going to give this an I-like-it four stars on the basis that a) she read it from cover to cover and b) it kept her quiet for approximately 4 hours. I'm of the opinion that any reading at her age is good and she's going through all of these with gusto.

On the face of it - me telling you it's a good book based on her feedback is just as subjective as me telling you it's a good book based on my feedback....so you're always going to be taking a bit of a risk!
on 14 October 2011
If that's what your child wants - then this is fine and who am I to argue. Actually it does seem quite good and I'm sure my daughter will love it!