4.0 out of 5 stars A rewarding read in many ways
This is the first book by Mo Hayder I have read since Birdman and I was not disappointed. I won't repeat the Amazon synopsis printed above as it captures the story very well. What should be added is that not only is the general story compelling, but the quality of Hayder's writing shines and carries the reader along effortlessly. My only gripes are as follows: having...
Published on 20 Nov. 2008 by Annabel B

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly appalling
Published 10 months ago by Mrs. R. Oxbury

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly appalling, 16 May 2014
This is the first Mo Hayder book I have read - picked it up for 10p - and will be the last (the other one I got for 10p is going straight in the bin... would hate to inflict this rubbish on anyone else!) I did get to the end of it by skim reading the last 200 pages, but now wonder why I bothered. The plot is ludicrous, the characters entirely unbelievable (and in no way likeable, although she tries to push their 'flawed nature' and vulnerability), and I don't find the writing style particularly good. It has some 'shocking' episodes which are not shocking but gratuitous - might appeal to a teenage slasher horror movie fan - and often lend nothing to the plot. Jack Caffery was, for me, a completely one-dimensional character. Hayder states at the back of the book that he is her creation of a perfect lover and compares his creation to P.D. James' of Adam Dalgleish - is she kidding!? - he comes across as a neanderthal thug with very little intellectual prowess. As for 'Flea'.... well, words cannot describe this pathetic creation.
This book is lazy, attention grabbing (for all the wrong reasons) and, in parts, extremely verbose.
If you want a flawed hero, like a good thriller with a plot that will grip you, give this a miss and read Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ritual, 8 July 2014
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Perhaps too realistic - because unpleasant - this story set in Bristol involves severed human parts and the primitive religion called muti, usually outlawed in African countries but often still practised.

If you want to know about people who think it's good luck to bury a hand under a shop, or drive around with shrunken heads hanging from car mirrors, this book will get you started.

The detective is not a pleasant sort either, with no graces or talents to recommend him, and he goes off to visit a prostitute rather than try to improve his social life.

I hadn't read any books by this author before and I'm not keen to now, as they seem to tend towards the horror and unpleasant end of the crime shelf. However, someone who wants that kind of read might well give it more stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars poor, 15 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Ritual: Jack Caffery series 3 (Paperback)
Having read birdman i was looking forward to another instalment of jack cafferty,but i am afraid i really had to push myself to finish this one.It was slow to start but i was sure it would get better as birdman was such a good read, sadly i struggled on and come the ending i had lost interest and was scanning through the pages. If you havent read any Mo Hayder books dont start with this one,it might put you off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, slow pace and pointless, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Ritual: Jack Caffery series 3 (Paperback)
I can't say I " enjoyed" Birdman or even more so The Treatment, but they were well written , focussed and meaningful. Mo Hayder had great plots and ideas and could express the lives and feelings of evil and disgusting people in a terrifying way.

This book, however, is pointless drivel.

After speedily reading 150 pages ( I reached ' The Walking Man' ) and being bored out of my skull, I decided to check a few reviews here, and am happy to find many who agree that this is not a worthwhile read.

One of the few books I will not finish. Really, do not bother with this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre!, 15 April 2009
J.Flood (Dublin,Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ritual: Jack Caffery series 3 (Paperback)
I was looking forward to reading this novel, as I had read the two other DI Jack Caffery novels, Birdman and The Treatment, and found them to be good reads.

However, I was disappointed with The Ritual. I found the storyline fairly strange to say the least, and it never really got my interest going. There were very few parts of the story, where I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. It all just plodded along.

Also, Jack Caffery's character seems a lot more one-dimensional, than from what I remember in the earlier novels.

2.0 out of 5 stars Far from the best by Mo Hayder., 5 Mar. 2013
Loved the first two books. Couldn't wait to read this one and what a disappointment. Plot thin. Raggy characters. Reluctant to read another Mo Hayder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright but not as good as the first two, 30 Dec. 2014
Having read a lot of negative reviews about this book I nearly decided not to bother reading it. However I did read it and have to agree with a lot of other reviewers that it is not the same standard as the first 2 Jack Caffrey books. The new character Flea is annoying - quite pathetic as a police officer. The fact she had a friendship with a convicted criminal ex drug addict is not believable and she is also friends with a suspect who just happens to be an expert on African magic (a central theme to the novel)- well what a coincidence! Hayder herself writes at the end of the novel that she wasn't going to originally going to include Caffrey and this really shows in the story- his inclusion feels forced and doesn't naturally lead on from the first 2 books. I did cringe sometimes at the plot and the coincidental links between characters. Jury is out on the walking man though - he has the potential to be interesting. I'm glad I read this and will read the rest in the series but the quality of the plot, characters and writing has deteriorated and I am hoping it will improve in the rest of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the others, 3 Mar. 2013
It was a good book, but I just felt like I needed more from the story. Time to try the next book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Manages to make the extraordinary rather boring, 11 July 2011
Apple-eater "Severn Boy" (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ritual: Jack Caffery series 3 (Paperback)
The subject matter - African superstition - could have been quite interesting, especially as it does seem to have involved murder in the UK.

Also, the idea of a female police diver is unusual, as is the Bristol setting.

So how did the book end up being this boring. I don't know why, really, but I suspect it's the fact that the central characters seemed like cardboard cut-outs. Flea and Caffrey had what might be deemed to be interesting back-stories, but there was nothing interesting about them in the book.

And there is a very fine line between 'interesting' and downright unbelievable; the backstories about Flea's dead parents and Caffrey's dead brother, and especially the one about the Walking Man really were horribly unconvincing, very obviously just decoration.

As for the African superstition - she seemed to handle that quite well, not shying away from being a bit politically incorrect for some people's tastes, no doubt.

But all in all, I can't imagine I would read another book about these people.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak effort from Hayder, 22 Feb. 2009
A. Pinckard "TCP" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ritual: Jack Caffery series 3 (Paperback)
I agree with a number of the other reviews. Very disappointing. Ive been a fan, have read her other books, and have been pleased to see when a new one is available. Weak and very limited plot in this one. This book is a struggle not a page turner. Such a surprise as previous books have been really good, engaging and genuinely scary in parts. In addition the 'Walking Man' description of a previous torture was gratuitous and poor writing. Gore may be ok if it enhances the plot or it is perhaps someone central to the plot who may be tortured, may escape at any moment, etc, but just decribing how to torture a third party not part of the plot was an ugly page filler. I like crime/mystery, if I just want gore I would look elsewhere. Not surprised this has lower scores than the other books. Such a change from the previous books........ did she really write this herself?

Ritual: Jack Caffery series 3
Ritual: Jack Caffery series 3 by Mo Hayder (Paperback - 20 Nov. 2008)