5.0 out of 5 stars Bryant and May are back!!
Published on 9 July 2009 by Samuel

3.0 out of 5 stars Book 7 maybe not the place to start
Review of the unabridged reading by Tim Goodman.

Published on 6 April 2012 by catsatcastle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryant and May are back!!, 9 July 2009
Samuel "Samuel" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This, the seventh in Christopher Fowler's excellent Bryant and May detective series, finds the elderly pair on as fine form as ever. Following the disbandment of the Peculiar Crimes Unit at the end of the previous in the series, The Victoria Vanishes, it seemed like the end. However, when headless corpses start being discovered, and a mysterious stag-like figure is seen, Bryant and May again swing into action.

The story, as ever, is set in and around a part of London that millions of people pass through each year, but don't really see. In this instance it is King's Cross, set against the backdrop of the current regeneration of the area following the Eurostar terminal being opened at St Pancras. The plot moves forward at a good pace, with the two detectives' differing views on the crimes (supernatural vs mundane) used to good effect.

One of the most interesting facets of the book is seeing how the various members of the Peculiar Crimes Unit have adapted (or in some cases failed to adapt) to life outside of the police force. Some have handled it well, some badly, and it's interesting to see just how much the team meant to most of the former members.

As always with the Bryant and May series, it is a cracking read, and one to be enjoyed by existing fans of the series - especially with the promise of an eighth book next year. However, this would also be a good starting point for those who haven't yet discovered the delights of Christopher Fowler's work, so hopefully this book will earn him more fans. It's a lot more inventive and a lot more fun than most other crime fiction, so if you want a whodunnit (or indeed a whatdunnit) with style, humour, tension, and, at the end of a day, a good old-fashioned story, then give it a go. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars BRYANT & MAY ON THE LOOSE., 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Bryant and May On The Loose: (Bryant & May Book 7) (Paperback)
Given that this is the seventh book in the series it worked extremely well as a novel in its own right but then mysteries often do as they are generally self-contained stories. More than that though, just as the first six books in the series were written as a set so the next lot of novels (starting with this one) form a fresh set thus providing a good starting point for those who are new to the books but don't necessarily want to start reading the series from the beginning.

What I'd describe as a cosy mystery as despite its headless corpses it seemed too genteel to be anything other. Bryant & May on The Loose saw the return of the PCU (Peculiar Crimes Unit).

Original, quirky AND provides the three 'E's' - entertainment, escapism and (informal and fun) education - all of them necessary if a book is to be a good read. With a mythological figure, a mysterious stag-like creature, at its heart there was also a nod towards the supernatural.

Great story telling but more than an intelligent and humorous plot there is the wonderfully curmudgeonly Bryant who has to be one of my favourite characters of 2013.

Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper.
Bryant and May On The Loose: (Bryant & May Book 7)

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Bryant and May book - and certainly not my last, 19 Feb. 2014
This is the first book I have read by Christopher Fowler and so (obviously) the only book I have read in the Bryant & May series. It is the seventh of the ten (so far) books and, if this book is indicative of the quality, then it is an excellent series.

The story is an enjoyable tale of a ritualistic killer who appears to be evoking pagan rites in the Kings Cross area of London whilst the area is going through an important period of major redevelopment. Modern day London is brilliantly evoked, and there is plenty of historical detail along with old myths and legends. The Peculiar Crimes Unit (or PCU) for whom Bryant and May work, was disbanded shortly before this story starts so there is also a sub-plot around getting the old team back together.

There are some great twists and turns and a surprisingly dark ending too. An entertaining, intriguing, wry, well written detective novel that made me feel very keen to read more of the Bryant and May books.

4/5

4.0 out of 5 stars What a good read, 1 Oct. 2010
One good thing about this book is that it was given to me.
The bad thing is, I'm now going to have to buy the other 6 as I'm hooked.

Nice to find something within the thriller genre that's a bit more quirky than average. I thoroughly enjoyed this and, as a Londoner myself, it was a real education as well.
I would definitely recommend this to Crime Novel readers and am now off to add the others to my Amazon Wishlist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryant and May "On the Loose", 16 Feb. 2012
I have bought nearly all this range for my Father who is blind and without doubt these are among some of the very best audio books I have bought . They are made all the more brilliant by the narrator ,Tim Goodman, who is a wonderful story teller and a joy to listen to .The plots are intelligent and funny at the same time .I would urge anyone who enjoys murder mystery to try this author out .I am always on the look out for the next one .

4.0 out of 5 stars Romance for Janice, 30 Oct. 2013
D. M. Dickson (Dordogne France and Solihull UK) - See all my reviews
Another success for Mr Fowler I think.

Poor old Bryant is becoming more and more disreputable and it seems that John May is heading in the completely opposite direction becoming more and more dapper as the series proceeds. Yet again the books are an education in the hidden stories behind the nation's capital and I am impressed by the way that, though the two ancient detectives do, understandably, harp back to the past the stories themselves are rooted well and truly in the present day.

This was quite a complicated plot and very well designed I thought. The characters were as always fascinating and believable. A lovely little romantic interest for Janice Longbright - and oh such a sad, sad ending. I shed a tear I have to say.

Yes, thoroughly enjoyed this. Have already started the next one. The only problem I have is that I am up to number 8 and there are only 10. Oh dear I do hope the next Rebus comes out on time!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars clever and funny, 26 Aug. 2013
Clever and funny at the same time. Once again London is the third part of the partnership and I love that it is so up to date with the changes at Kings cross.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun, factual and a fabulous read, 16 Oct. 2014
Book 7, fun, factual and a fabulous read, I am so hooked on this series! The elements of mythology and the supernatural are well researched, very informative and told in a way to want the reader to go and find out more about the subject, especially the Celtic history of the Green Man. I love the quirkiness of the characters, Maggie Armitage is an inspiration and the way they bounce off each other within each story. I have been looking for another crime series to get my teeth into since I finished Louise Penny's excellent novels with Armande Gamashe and am so pleased to discover these. Of course the bank balance has been seriously dented as I had to buy the whole lot but in the interests of literature and a damn good read, I just don't care! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have tried to read slowly to prolong the pleasures of Christopher Fowler's wonderful stories, with their surprising plot twist, 13 Oct. 2014
I have jumped about with these books and have only two left to read. I can't bear it; I have tried to read slowly to prolong the pleasures of Christopher Fowler's wonderful stories, with their surprising plot twists and characters who feel like people I know well and have grown to love. I have stocked up with several of his other books, but really can't imagine life without Bryant and May, so I really hope there will be more of their books. I have learned such a lot about London, and it is impossible not to want to read on and find out who or what is responsible for the bizarre crimes. The stories are beautifully written in evocative prose and I can't recommend them highly enough to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book 7 maybe not the place to start, 6 April 2012
Review of the unabridged reading by Tim Goodman.

I had real difficulties with this and had to force my way through it. Some of my difficulty was with the reading itself. The narrator has a pleasant reading voice and the phrasing was good. However, the style of delivery was flat throughout and I suspect these books are supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek but that didn't come across to me. Worse though were the accents. The Antiguan lady who shares a house with Bryant would have a Caribbean accent but it strayed into Welsh. The accent of the young Asian man who found a body also strayed into Welsh. Worst of all though was Mengeshka - I have not read the earlier books but she was specifically described as third-generation so I would expect her to speak with a British accent but she also had an Asian accent which also came out Welsh. Now, I love the Welsh accent but it did not seem right for any of these characters so it annoyed me.

The premise of the book is that Bryant and May are two police officers who are still serving having been working in the 1939-45 war. They are in something called the Peculiar Crimes Unit. We are obviously in fantasy territory here. I can see how this appeals to many readers and I very much liked the idea but it just didn't work for me. I wonder whether I would be more attached to the format if I had been with it from the earlier books but I am afraid on the basis of this one I am not tempted to find out.

The Unit has been disbanded before the start of this book so the former officers have dispersed and have no offices. They are brought back together by this case but, for reasons that seemed to me to be just too artificial, are forced to work without access to present-day forensic techniques. This gives an opportunity to rely on older investigative techniques in what I am guessing is a way to reference the fact that Bryant and May are back to the 50 year old ways of working.

The books seems to be determinedly set in the present day but would also have me believe that it is also set in some unreal territory and I simply couldn't suspend disbelief to the extent apparently required.

I realise these books have many devoted followers but I am afraid they are not for me on the showing of this one book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Bryant and May On The Loose: (Bryant & May Book 7)
Bryant and May On The Loose: (Bryant & May Book 7) by Christopher Fowler (Paperback - 24 Jun. 2010)