5.0 out of 5 stars Tears and laughter
You can actually hear Paul dictating the words. There are heart tugging moments but there are also laugh out loud moments from a giggle to a hearty belly laugh. The characters who populated Paul's world are larger than life and twice as funny. This is a book that is, to coin a word, unputdownable and one I shall keep. I can't wait for the next one.
Published on 22 Oct 2008 by Mrs. Barbara Vaughan

3.0 out of 5 stars Paul O'Grady-At my mother's knee and other low joints
I bought this book with the expectation that I would discover not only the background and history of Paul, but also an insight in to how he worked his way towards the amazing personality and consumate entertainer that he is today. From this perpective I was personally disappointed in that the story only took me so far on the journey that I was expecting.

I...
Published on 6 April 2010 by Earthmover

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears and laughter, 22 Oct 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 29 Jan 2009
M. A. Smith "smartysmiffy" (Ilford, UK) - See all my reviews
I don't 'do' autobiographies as a rule. But I received this for Christmas as I am a huge fan of Paul O'Grady (and of course Lily Savage) and was intrigued by the book only covering Paul's childhood. All I can say is that if every biography is as well written and thought out as this, I would read nothing but. As other reviewers have stated, you can really hear Paul's voice as you read. I loved the flash forwards and flash backs that he drops in at points which keeps the book from following the usual plodding linear style and some of the stories make you chuckle (I don't do laugh) out loud. However, Paul is also superb at describing the more poignant, sadder moments that occur and the last chapter of the book really is quite moving.

I take umbrage with one review of this book who claims that Paul describes in graphic detail his tales of men and that you need a strong stomach to get through it. All I can say is that the reviewer must have been reading a completely different book to me, or painting it with personal opinion about homosexuality. There are no graphic descriptions, you get the gist of what would / did occur but no more. There are some near to the knuckle comments and remarks but not about Paul's sex life and they are really very tame compared to what Lily would have said!

Read this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars At Paul's hand, 2 Oct 2008
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is the story of Paul O'Grady, presenter TV Actor and the alter ego of the infamous Lily Savage.

If you pick up this book thinking you are getting sordid wild tales of Paul and his famous friends then you are going to be disappointed, there is not even a mention of Buster!

This is Paul from the beginning to him turning 18. Here he tells the story of his life, growing up in Birkenhead. That small fishing village near Liverpool!! Paul tells brilliantly all the tales of his family and the sorts of tricks that any little boy gets up to when they are 4 or 5, as well as the tricks they get up when they discover girls (and boys!). Experiences of school and work will make you laugh out loud, and his experience with the church and Catholicism is also so philosophical and funny at the same time. What is apparent throughout this book is how all the characters of his life, his mum and her sisters have influenced his later life not just personally but in his character of Lily Savage.

The stories you hear him tell on television, are true (if slightly exaggerated for effect) they are so beautifully told in the book, that you feel you are with Paul as he wrote this.

So many `famous' people try and tell their story in one book, but I feel Paul has only really touched the tip of the iceberg I hope there is a sequel.......please Paul write another.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars? Without question!, 5 Jan 2009
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I started reading this in trepidation, worrying that my expectations would be set too high. I needn't have worried. It's a wonderful book, very honest, very moving and very funny. So many of Paul's recollections of being brought up in a 60s council house without central heating rang true. I'd forgotten about how much of our lives in winter revolved round keeping warm- Paul hasn't!

I made the slight mistake of reading this in bed very late at night. A mistake, because stifling my laughter nearly choked me. Two particularly funny passages were 'fast-forwards' from the period not generally covered by the book, which bodes really well for the sequel. This memoir is on a par with Peter Kay's The Sound of Laughter - in fact, Paul's honesty makes it better, as he doesn't pull a single punch. Yet he manages to do this without offending - there are no sordid revelations that have you turning pages in haste, but thoughtful evocations of time and place.

This will make a fantastic audiobook - Paul writes as he speaks and you can hear his voice on every page. Wonderful, just wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Flame of Llandudno burns brightly, 30 Sep 2008
Paul de Lappe "Esquilo Secreto" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
What to say?? This book is intensely moving, ridiculously funny and, above all, is a very human tale of a working class, Northern family, complete with all the catholic guilt, scallywag shenanigans and rough love that can entail.

Its like a Birkenhead "Angela's Ashes" .....only with more sequins.

Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars The man from Birkenhead.....!, 27 Sep 2008
Mrs. Melonie Pickering (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was so worth waiting for. I laughed, fought back the tears and cheered when Paul won his battles. I would have loved to have met his Mum, cos this is one lovable rogue who probably gave her more than the odd grey hair. Now I wait to see whether there will be a 2nd book, cos it just can't end there! I salute you Mr O'Grady MBE, you bring laughter, love and sunshine into this life we lead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paul O'Grady-At my mother's knee and other low joints, 6 April 2010
This review is from: At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints (Paperback)

I presume that a further autobiography is waiting in the wings that will bring me up to date with his fascinating life. I do hope so as, apart from my disappointment on the scope of the story in this book, there is no denying that the book is amazingly honest, humerous and inciteful. Maybe it is down to clever planning as once I had finished reading it I Was desperate to to be able to read on and discover just how he achieved so much from such potentially disadvantageous beginnings.

The book is well written, difficult to put down and hugely rewarding as far as it goes. He does need to write another one, though!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Boy from Birkenhead....Roll on book 2, 12 Oct 2008
Ms. M. O'Brien "spookster!!" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
Well What Can I say.

I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and ordered my copy from here to arrive on the day it was released.

Once I started I couldn't put this book down, From his times as an Altar Boy, to working in London to the sad ending that leaves you wanting to know more it's a must have for any fan.

Paul has wrote this in a way that makes it sound like he is with you reading it. Almost like you're transported into his world watching the happenings he describes.

10 out of 10 and get cracking on book number 2 Paul! Can't wait to hear about the adventures of Miss Savage!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Wait For The Next One!!, 26 Sep 2008
This is a fantastic book for all of Paul's and Lily's fans - and anyone else! When you finish reading this book you will definitely be a fan if you weren't before. Written in Paul's 'down to earth', honest style this book is a must read. Get closer to the man himself and his family and friends - what a bunch, I thought my family/friends were 'colourful'!! This only goes up to his teenage years though - does this mean they'll be more - I hope so. Well done Paul, can't wait for the next one's :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 2 Feb 2009
This is a really easy read & just zips along. Definitely written in Paul's unique voice, I found this book really interesting. I enjoyed particularly hearing about Paul's father, who sounds like a truly lovely man. His Mum & Aunties are total 'characters' & salt of the earth types, it's no wonder Paul has no pretentions. Some parts of the book are a bit sad, but others are really humourous, so there is a good mix here. There are also amazing moments like meeting Deitrich - Blimey!
Overall a good read & I really would like to read the next one!

At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints
At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints by Paul O'Grady (Paperback - 4 Jun 2009)