4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping The Dead
This is the 7th in Tess Gerritsen Rizzoli and Isles series. For this book the latest serial killer prowling the streets of Boston has been named The Archeologist due to the fact that he is mummifying his victims, enter detectives Rizzoli and Frost and, briefly; Maura Isles. I have to agree with a previous reviewer on the fact that Maura Isles was really quite un necessary...
Published on 8 Feb. 2009 by molko

1.0 out of 5 stars SAME BOOK??!!
IF YOU ARE A TESS GERRITSEN FAN, AS I AM, BUT HAVE READ "KEEPING THE DEAD" DO NOT BOTHER BUYING THE "KEEPSAKE" AS IT IS THE SAME BOOK !!??

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE OR NOT, BUT I RECENTLY FINISHED READING "KEEPING THE DEAD", SAFE TO SAY HOWEVER I DID NOT ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS SOME OF HER OTHER TITLES - ANYWAY I DECIDED TO HAVE A BREAK FROM TESS AND...
Published on 18 Oct. 2009 by MARYW1634

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic ''Who Dunnit'', 27 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Keeping the Dead: (Rizzoli & Isles series 7) (Paperback)
Oh I loved every minute of this book and constantly switched my mind with the classic 'Who Dunnit'. One minute thinking it was one person, and the next it was no no, it's him. A fantastic book as always from Tess Gerritsen. A+++++

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Keeping the Dead (Paperback)
This is my first Tess Gerritsen novel. I grabbed it from shelves of my local library in a hurry before going on holiday and I could not put it down. This is really rare for me. It has been so long since I have found a novel I enjoyed as much as this. It grabbed me from the beginning and held my attention right through to the end. I have two young kids and am very easily distracted so this is unusual! I am fairly stunned to read some reviews below that criticise it - obviously I have not read any other books in the series but I certainly am going to now. The reasons it has been criticised seem to be lack of characterisation. I have just been explaining to my husband the reason I loved it so much was because of the pace of the narrative and the fact it doesn't get bogged down in the personal life of the characters. It just deals with the crime and gets on with it. I really don't want to know much about the personal lives of the central characters!! I find that detracts from the plot development and pace. For me it has been a perfect read and I can't wait to read more of the same. My husband is off to read it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping the Dead aka The Keepsake, 4 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Keeping the Dead: (Rizzoli & Isles series 7) (Paperback)
I found the "The Keepsake" -or "Keeping the Dead" as the UK title is, a great read! If you like medical thrillers, I'd definitely recommend this one! I couldn't put it down, read it in three days. It kept me hooked.

It was the second of Tess Gerritsen's books I read (first one was "The Bone Garden"). So in this sense, I had never heard of the Maura Isles and Jane Rizzoli duo. So the story dropped a few bombs on me (Oh, she has a husband and a daughter, oh, she's seeing a priest.) This of course was completely my own fault, for not reading the rest of Tess' books! Nevertheless, it wasn't annoying in any way, just asked for a slight adjustment of my reader's mind. In fact, it only made me want to read all the other books as well as this one was so great!
So, if you haven't read any of Tess' other Maura Isles and Jane Rizzoli books, this book can still be read, though I might suggest you start at the beginning of the Maura and Jane series (The Surgeon, The Apprentice, Body Double, Vanish etc, all of which I still have to read.)

Nevertheless, I very much enjoyed "The Keepsake"! I loved the historical and medical aspects, the "behind the scenes"-look of the ME profession. The writing is awesome and the characters very lovable, believable (and creepy!). There wasn't a dull moment in the whole book. After each chapter I would look at the clock and though it was time to go to bed, I kept thinking "oh, one more chapter, I wanna know what happens next!!!" That's what makes a good book.

Tess Gerritsen is definitely on my list of favorite writers now and I'm going to read ALL of her books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read., 24 Aug. 2009
Dean Kellham - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeping the Dead: (Rizzoli & Isles series 7) (Paperback)
As far as a crime thriller goes it's not bad. At some points it's a little predictable, and can seem to all be a little coincidental, but then it does follow suite for Gerritsen. As a standalone novel it's a good read. You could pick it up having never heard of Gerritsen before, which is all well and good.

I have however read all the previous books from the Rizzoli/Isles series and I will agree that the characters aren't as developed in this story as in the previous books. Daniel Brophy and Gabriel Dean scarcely make an appearance, and as for Maura, she's not exactly integral to the plot; a generic ME would have served her purpose.

As with Gerritsen, her stories include a lot of knowledge from areas that interest her personally, with aspects of archeology coming into that, which does make a nice change from the over-used Medical jargon used in previous books.

As for the storyline itself, it does provide the usual aspects of Gerritsen's thrillers, providing intertwined life-lines of characters along with subtle character development regarding Frost.

If you've read this far along the series then it's a fair follow-on which almost goes back to the style of the surgeon and apprentice, focusing more on the case at hand than the character's personal lives (allbeit with a couple of chapters splashed in to mention the characters at home). If you've not read the others and are after a book you can pick up and read without any prior knowledge of the characters this will serve you fairly well, althout there are a couple of referrences to previous cases that aren't explained, but virtually all referrences to former characters or storylines are explained. If you haven't read the others in the series however, and are interested, I'd greatly recommend you go for it, as it's not a bad series to read at all. Begins with the Surgeon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 April 2010
K. Starling "bookworm" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeping the Dead: (Rizzoli & Isles series 7) (Paperback)
I have loved all the rizzoli Tess Gerritson books so was really pleased to read this one too. Once again I could not put it down and have now passed it on to my father who is also hooked. Brilliant read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 21 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Keeping the Dead: (Rizzoli & Isles series 7) (Paperback)
Interesting, pulse quickening book with good gorey sections and a good twist at the end. Had me interested right till the end and was great to read about Jane and Maura again. Look forward to reading the next installment of the series if Tess plans one that is.

Loved the section at the end: Tess Gerritsen reveals the haunting truth behind why she became a crime writer - chinese whispers - especially the quote at the end (so true)

'Janet's death also taught me that we can never truly know the heart of another human

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for Tess Gerritsen, 9 July 2009
This review is from: Keeping the Dead (Hardcover)
Keeping the Dead

Another amazing book by Tess Gerritsen.

I loved all the twists and turns in the book and especially the characters although I would have liked there to have been some more background on Rizzoli's husband and more stories with Maura Isles because there wasn't much on it.

My only other comment was that there wasn't as much detail in this book compared to her others but still a really good read and I couldn't put it down so that must be a good sign.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea., 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Keeping the Dead: (Rizzoli & Isles series 7) (Paperback)
I bought this as it was the nominated book for my Book Club. Not my usual kind of book at all but approached it with an open mind. (I have loved other books I never normally would have read). Sadly, I didn't like this one at all. The initial plot hook was interesting but after that, it didn't engage me or make me care what happened to any of the characters. I found the characterisation thin and sketchy and the writing style lacking in substance. Not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping the dead, 11 Sept. 2009
This book is a truly enjoyable read, It is the american 'Keeping the Dead', only the titles differ. Please be aware of that fact when looking to purchase this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars more gripping Gerritsen, 2 Aug. 2011
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Keeping the Dead (Hardcover)
Keeping The Dead is the 7th in Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli/Isles series. Maura Isles is invited to be present for the CT scan on a mummy recently found in the basement of the Crispin museum. When the scan first shows a dental filling, and then a bullet lodged in the calf, a historical find becomes a murder investigation, and Jane Rizzoli takes the case. As more bodies, or parts of bodies, are uncovered, an association with archaeology becomes apparent. The target seems to be Josephine Pulcillo, an Egyptologist working at the Crispin. Frost thinks she's a victim, but Rizzoli has a gut feeling that Josephine is not all she seems, and this leads to tension between the partners. Gerritsen once again gives us a pacy plot with twists right up to the last chapter, plausible characters and credible dialogue. And a laugh-out-loud moment about hospital bureaucracy. Once again, we are treated to a wealth of interesting facts in easily-digestible morsels, this time about mummification, the process of making a shrunken head and preservation of bodies in bogs. Gerritsen explores lies and truth, how far a parent will go for a child, changing one's identity and spending a life on the run. Another gripping Gerritsen read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Keeping the Dead: (Rizzoli & Isles series 7)
Keeping the Dead: (Rizzoli & Isles series 7) by Tess Gerritsen (Paperback - 17 Aug. 2009)