4.0 out of 5 stars A good addon for the Malazan series
I've read all Erikson's Malazans book's so far, and find them to be among the best fantasy books out there at the moment.
The only drawback is keeping up with the complexity and scope of it all. Keeping places,time and people(especially people) apart is a chore if it's a long time between reading the book's, and that's a problem in this book aswell.
Although...
Published on 13 May 2008 by L. W. Gulbrandsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but
The good news is that this is definitely a book of the Malaz. Esslemont and Erikson are doing a good job of sharing their world. And we do get new pieces in the puzzle :)

The bad news is that Esslemont, while close to Erikson in style and narrative, does not have the same touch with his characters. Wry humour, witty exchanges or character motivation are...
Published on 12 Dec 2006 by R. Amundsen

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great!, 30 Oct 2006
Captures the spirit of Erikson's world and writing, this isn't a long epic like his books but a very worthwhile addition to the collection all the same. It's definitly not some piece of fan fiction junk by someone who's never met the author, he contributed to the building of the Malaz world so I can't wait for the next one to come along!

5.0 out of 5 stars Malazan World, 3 Dec 2013
Mike (Bristol, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Of Knives: A Novel Of The Malazan Empire (Malazan Empire 1) (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read all of the Steven Erikson books about the Malazan Book of the Fallen I was interested to see that another author was writing about this shared world. As I enjoyed all of Erikson's books it was fairly obvious I should try these additional books. I wanted more!

Knight of Knives has been an excellent read and I have just ordered the second book in the series. Esselmont has given an extra dimension to the Malazan Empire for me. Night of Knives took no time at all to read and was utterly absorbing. Anyone who might be unsure should not hold back. If you enjoy Steven Erikson's books you will enjoy Ian C Esselmonts as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 28 Nov 2013
I didn't think another writer could capture the Malazan world quite like Eriksson. Seriously impressed! It's great to see favourite characters fleshed out and peripheral ones brought to the fore. Seamless...

5.0 out of 5 stars as good as ever, 22 July 2013
The book further extends the in depth world of the Malazan empire. Fast paced and a compelling read, I,ve already purchased the second book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 1 April 2013
I read the Malazan book of the fallen series first. But this did not detract from the enjoyment of the first in the books that preceded. Good storyline with plenty of characters that you really want to know more about. I found myself reading for longer than I intended on more than one occasion. My only complaint is that it can be quite difficult identifying the chronological order of the books using my kindle and read some out of sequence.

4.0 out of 5 stars decent start to ICE's Malazan adventure, 7 Feb 2013
The Malazan novels by Steven Erikson are without doubt the greatest fantasy series to date, the pure scope and intricate storylines are unparalleled. Ian C. Esslemont carries on the tradition with an excellent story featuring some of the biggest characters from the series. The story centres around emperor Kellanved and Dancer ascending to the shadow throne, although this is a small part of the book. What I found interesting was the story of the first sword Dassem Ultor and one of his body guards Temper who is a central character of the novel. There is also Surly (Laseem), the high mage Tayschrenn and the claw assassins - making for an easy to read and a highly recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Erikson, but is that a bad thing?, 10 Oct 2012
Adam Saunders (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this book for about a year, finally got round to reading it, having read the whole of Erikson's Malazan decalogy first. Is it the same? No, it's not - but I've got to be honest, I don't think that's a bad thing. There are so many plot lines and characters in Erikson's books that by the time I got to The Crippled God it was making my brain hurt to try and keep track of all the different threads.

The big difference in Night of Knives is that it follows a small group of characters through a very tightly bound scenario. I found this much easier to read and frankly a lot more enjoyable. If you want something as complicated as Erikson then the Otherland series by Tad Williams should hit the spot. If you're after a lighter read set in the Malazan world then Esslemont delivers very impressively.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good first Novel with a great sequel, 30 Jun 2012
In the beginning I was a bit baffled at the number of the main characters because although I was used to the dozends of main characters from Steven Erikson, Erikson introduced them over several thousand pages and here they are just thrown at the reader in the first 50 pages, so the beginning was a bit tedious especially because no figures already known from Erikson appear as main characters.
But later parts of the book, when the reader gets used to the different characters, the story becomes quit good, especially when known persons from Erikson start to appear (like Surly)

4.0 out of 5 stars Having never read Erikson...., 28 Jun 2012
Well...I'd claim to be a prolific fantasy book reader...yet I am one who, for some reason, has never read Steven Erikson. In my defence I do have the series on a shelf but just never quite got round to reading them.
So...a reviewer who has not read anything of the Mazalan Empire starting with Canadian author, Ian C Esselemont. Given all the reviews I have read on the web about this series I know, inevitably, my view cannot take in Erikson's literary achievement. Perhaps no bad thing for Mr Esslemont.
OK, I found this single night novel to be somewhat of a rollercoaster. It became evident fairly early on that I was in a world that almost needs a reader to have prior knowledge of Mazalan, giving an unsettling feeling that was allayed as I got to the section flashing back to Temper's previous incarnation in that elite bodyguard, The Sword. I had read several reviews that somewhat accurately point out this is a companion novel to the Mazalan series; that a "fair amount of knowledge of the Mazalan series [is needed] in order to place characters and events in context." (A review on sffworld.com)
Yet, I have to say, this stood alone in its own right. I didn't leave the adventure of Kiska, Temper and the assortment of otherworldly, powerful mages, warriors, and kings or read about the Shadow realm with its Warren inhabitants such as Edgewalker, Storm Riders, et al. with anything other than pure satisfaction in fantasy well done. In a curious manner it reminded me - stylistically - of Feist's earliest series, mixed perhaps with macabre of Robert Newcombe. I liked Temper, understood the youthful impetuousness of Kiska, was equally infuriated with the cryptic utterances of her aunt/mentor, was keen to understand more about the Claws, Surly and all the other shadowy figures that silently fought in a town that was the focus for a titanic magical battle on one single night.
By the end, I wish to read more, will move onto books two, three, four swiftly.
And...for now...I'll leave Erikson on my shelves. Perhaps once I have given Esselemont the reading time he deserves I may then turn to Erikson's Mazalan, and read what, for me, may well be just the companion novels to Esslemont.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Second Malazan Voice, 11 Aug 2011
David Ford "Genre junkie" (Cheltenham) - See all my reviews
It's been a long time coming, but we finally get a look at the world seen in the Malazan Book of the Fallen from another angle; that of the world's cocreator, Ian Esslemont.

He chooses to begin with a look at what really happened the night the old emperor disappeared, and does a damn fine job of it.

Taking place largely in one place and over one night, this is certainly a more streamlined piece than Erikson's sprawling tomes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The two main characters, Kiska and Temper, are both engaging and well written, and the plot zips along with enough sorcery and skullduggery to satisfy even the most ardent fan of the sister series.

More importantly for them, the book delves in detail into the backstory of Kellanved and also Dassem Ultor, making explicit what has previously only been hinted at.

Esslemont's writing is not quite as polished or multilayered as his colleague's, but based on this first effort, he is sure to become a major writing voie in his own right.

Night Of Knives: A Novel Of The Malazan Empire (Malazan Empire 1)
Night Of Knives: A Novel Of The Malazan Empire (Malazan Empire 1) by Ian C Esslemont (Mass Market Paperback - 5 May 2008)
5.86