5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Frey look like he needs something to do.
Published on 29 Jan 2007 by L. Coleman

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
Copy arrived promptly but was perhaps a bit shabbier and grubbier than I would have expected and compared with other second-hand books that I've ordered from other sellers. Cheap alternative to a new copy for a book that I'm reading for a book club, don't have any great expectations for and that isn't available on Kindle or from my local library.
Published 4 months ago by Gertie

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Frey look like he needs something to do., 29 Jan 2007
L. Coleman (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
I was floored by this book! Most of us have read "A Million Little Pieces", and like other reviewers, I must admit that I am also addicted to these kinds of stories. However, this book is a strong departure from many of the other books I have read in this genre. First, Cupcake has an amazing voice throughout the novel. The dialogue, however "street" it may be, is accurate and on point! I can tell you coming from the streets of NYC/America, that the speech and dialects are nothing less than flawless. Secondly, this author has much less of a tendency to victimize herself than other authors in the memoir game. Perhaps one would say that this is simply the effect of her AA meetings, etc., but I continually felt the genuity and humility of her story. She admits her anger at she was treated, but impressively continues to muster resolve to get through it. Fantastic read, impossible to put down--and equally impossible to forget!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in determination..., 16 Oct 2006
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
I finished this book in a couple of days. I think 'enjoyable' would probably be the wrong word to use, as at times, it made me cry. Cup's story is a rollercoaster of emotions but ultimately one of survival & determination. I've never felt so proud of someone that I don't know. You go girl!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 22 Feb 2007
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
This review isn't to tell people about this book but to simply tell people that it is a MUST READ. When I first looked at it I thought that it was way too dense and that I probably wouldn't get through the whole thing; to look at it it's quite intimidating. However, once I got over the size of the book I just got lost in it. I often missed my stop on the tube or bus as I was so into it that I forgot where I was. I enjoy these kinds of books and I often find myself welling up with tears as I read one, from the horrendous ordeals people go through. But with this book Cupcake Brown added so much humour that I felt for her but I couldn't help myself from laughing at the things she'd written. She has a unique writing style that just captured me. For anyone that enjoys this genre then I would definitely recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 20 Mar 2007
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
I'm not a super reader and it takes a special book to keep me hooked. There are not many books I have read in full since leaving school. "A boy called it" was 1 and this 1. Everyone must read this because it is incredible. Cupecake Brown is an amazing person. It has made me want to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars shocking, 11 Mar 2007
sonia418 (essex england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
I have never read a story like this before and although i'm only half way through it i am hooked and can't put it down cos I want to know what happens to her and i can't believe her body could take so much abuse.I'm looking for other books of a similar type to read now. This book has changed my reading intersets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking and so sad., 20 Feb 2007
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
At first when reading this book I thought that the author was going into a little too much detail. But as I read on, I could see exactly why she had. This is one of the most descriptive books that I've ever read. All through it, I could vision this authors life.

This is definitely one that should be turned into a movie.

Well done to Cupcake for being so bravely honest! After such a devastating life, you have shown the world that it is possible to turn from victim to survivor!

Like many of us authors that have written about this subject know, its not easy to be so honest sometimes. Yet to be honest is the only way of giving others an understanding of child abuse and the after effects.

Cupcake has done this brilliantly. Well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars A real insight into another world, 7 Jan 2007
Rachel Arnold "Rachel Arnold" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
I don't particularly enjoy this type of novel but I picked it up cheap when I was looking for a book to read on holiday. I took it away and brought it home and finally was left with nothing else to read.

It was a fascinating read and a real insight into the drug and gang world. It gave me a understanding of why this world is attractive to people and how they can be drawn into such disastrous and dangerous lives.

Cupcake's one day at a time recovery was truly inspiring and I have thought recently about small trials in my own life - if Cupcake can do this then I can apply her lessons to my own life.

A true surprise of a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic, laugh/ cry account of a young woman's struggle, 1 Oct 2006
Ms. A. Baker "Book Ang" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
As my title suggests, this book moved me from laughter to tears and back again and again. It was intense in places but easily readable and I couldn't put it down. I would recommend it to anyone who thinks it is too hard to turn their life around on their own. All you need is a little courage and a voice.

Cup, you're an inspiration!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read, 31 Oct 2006
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
I just finished this book and I thought it was an awesome read. The only part I found slightly tiresome was the gangsta part however I persevered and what an amazing story was told. From the age of 11 after Cupcake lost her beloved mother she suffered the worst kind of hell in foster care encountering physical and sexual abuse and after years of alcohol and drug use she turned her life around and came through the other end shining. Cupcake is an amazing woman and I'd like to congratulate her on her sobriety and wish her all the best for the future. This is an inspirational read and I would highly recommend to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable and Inspiring, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
I like to think of myself as quite hardcore when it comes to reading such novels and this is the first one to have made me physically close my eyes to stop me reading the horrors Cupcake went through. The honesty and openness shown throughout this book is unique and fantastic. There were parts that I felt were slightly cheesy American, but all in all you can only admire and respect Cupcake. It is incredibly cleverly written because at no point do you feel she is preaching and there is complete humility throughout. This is a must read - but beware it is nowhere near a light read!

A Piece Of Cake
A Piece Of Cake by Cupcake Brown (Paperback - 2 Oct 2006)
6.29