4.0 out of 5 stars A clever play on words!
Yes - I was hooked by the title. "What is this about" I asked myself, "now", "a gift"...?
Well in a very clever way it's about both. The book is very short and written as a story within a story, the inner story being about the interactions between a young man (learning) and an old man (the teacher).
We find out in simple words about the potential of the...
Published on 23 Mar 2004 by Mike Eccles

1.0 out of 5 stars the gift that makes you anything but happy
Published 9 months ago by Mrs Joan Knight

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A clever play on words!, 23 Mar 2004
We find out in simple words about the potential of the present, the past and the future in a way that I found to be both helpful and enjoyable. I don't want to spoil the story by giving details here. If you feel the need to change the way you look at your life and respond to events around you, then I commend this to you.
(I have given only 4 stars because of the comparison between price and size - it's a bit pricy for 100 pages of rather large print! Nevertheless, a great read!)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Less than Effective Rewrite of "The Precious Present", 4 Jun 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The Precious Present by Dr. Johnson was a particularly effective book published in 1984 presenting a series of meditative thoughts to keep one appropriately focused on the moment. The only thing I didn't like about the book was the overuse of Capitals in the key meditations. That overuse made the meditations seem to scream at me rather than whisper ("Be In The Present" versus "Be in the present").
In The Present, Dr. Johnson has taken The Precious Present and packaged more of a story around the simple tale of an older man helping a younger one to recapture the joy of losing oneself in what one is doing . . . while keeping the choice of one's current perspective in focus. The gift wrapping around the earlier story is to see how one can tell this tale to someone else . . . and help them learn about how to share it with other people. I felt a little like I was reading instructions for how to create a network marketing company for Dr. Johnson's story.
Inexplicably, Dr. Johnson still uses CAPITALS too much for his meditations . . . and has added BOLDING to make the SHOUTING of his text even stronger. I graded the book down one star for moving away from its simple, quiet potential nature.
I recommend you read The Precious Present rather than The Present to learn these important lessons:
Be in the present; learn from the past to do things differently in the present; and envision a better future and act now to create it.
Like many of the fable books, this one has an enormous price per page. I suggest you read it at the library rather than purchasing the book. It won't take you long.
How can you do something you love now that will build a better future for you and those you love?

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet very effective, 15 Jan 2007
J. Bartlett (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Present: The Gift That Makes You Happy And Successful At Work And In Life (Paperback)
This is a must read for anyone who is finding life a little bit over whelming & wants to take control of their life again. A simple read that works on simple principles that just about everyone should be able to relate to and understand.

Read this book before you embark on anything else that's a bit heavier on the psychology side... you may save yourself a lot of time, energy & effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Present, 16 May 2011
I wanted to read this book at a time of change in my life, and having already read Who Moved My Cheese - which was excellant, I sought more from the same author. This book was a useful reminder of living in the present, stop worrying about the future (although plan for it) and learn from the past. It is about focusing on the NOW which was useful, but when reading it I did think that was fine when you were just concentrating on a few projects at a time - with many on the go it is much harder to practice. But still a good short read which wasn't too heavy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Less Effective Rewrite of "The Precious Present", 19 Jun 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

1.0 out of 5 stars the gift that makes you anything but happy, 4 Mar 2014
The more I read, the more, stressed, anxious and angry I became. I felt cheated by this oh so predictable, childishly written, condescending piece of dribble. What got me was the number of wasted words it used to get across its message, when quite honestly all that required to be written was that the best present you can give yourself is to live in the present. There are much better books out there, don't waste you time and money on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The present .WOW!, 17 Aug 2013
What a great little book, very interesting and . Makes you feel good all the way through. I feel so much better already with issues at work. Forget the horrible people,move on and do well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Re Think, 1 Feb 2009
Read It and then think about how we all over react and never realise how lucky we are

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
I really enjoyed this quick read. You get straight to the point and discover a lovely message.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply but very powerful, 2 May 2014
A simple, short and powerful book. Implement the idea and your half way there. Will be reading it a few more times.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›