4.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone intrigued by Islam!
This book was an excellent find! I'm so glad that someone has finally put across our side of the story as Muslim women and as reverts in such a concise and articulate way. The author tackles all of the meaty topics that the non-Muslims always ask about Islam and presents the Islamic faith as something rational and beautiful but also as something challenging.
In...
Published on 3 Jun 2005 by Miss syed

2.0 out of 5 stars Good writing but I wouldn't read it again.
I was really excited when I started reading this book. I love reading stories of peoples journey's in Islam. Parts of it really interested me. However what spoiled it for me was so much talk about the niqab in particular. As this is a cultural thing rather than a necessity in Islam I suppose I found this part a little (dare I say it) boring. I have many friends who wear...
Published 10 months ago by booboolina

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone intrigued by Islam!, 3 Jun 2005
Miss syed (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
In defense of the author (in reference to the above review), she has taken on an enormous challenge in writing a book about Muslim women and a book can only be so long. I found the book extremely comprehensive and I don't think it would do justice to subjects such as FGM to give it a couple of pages, rather those issues need a separate book altogether. She also mentions at the beginning that these stories only represent a slice of the Muslim woman experience.It cannot be expected of one author to represent every type of Muslim woman out there.
In summary a brilliant effort. For anyone who knows someone interested in Islam and in women's issues in particular then this is a great place to start. The author knows where the Western reader is coming from and the style of this book caters fully for that readership.

4.0 out of 5 stars At long last, the day is breaking, 13 Aug 2005
Jessi - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
'From My Sisters' Lips' may seem like an unusual choice of book for a practising Christian who hopes to become a vicar to read, but the fact that I am firmly rooted in one faith doesn't mean that I fail to appreciate the wisdom of another. Na'ima has shattered every misunderstanding and every uncomfortable stereotype that seem to stick like burrs to the abaayat [gown-like coverings] of Muslim women. In a lively, informal style, she describes how she discovered Islam and made a conscious, educated choice to live as a Muslim. Her own story is interwoven with anecdotes and insights provided by other Muslim women (most of them converts) who hail from a bewildering myriad of cultures and countries.

They candidly talk about all kinds of topics, ranging from arranged marriage to covering their faces to Islamic education. But the sad thing is, will people listen to them? I once read an article by one Saraji Umm Zaid, who wryly commented, "Because people assume that Muslim men long ago robbed us of a voice, they don't trouble themselves by listening for one." I know several Englishwomen who will happily fill their Amazon baskets with Jean Sasson's books (which are speckled liberally with cultural and theological errors) because they are promisingly gory and lurid and shocking - and, ultimately, deeply satisfying. But although they claim to be 'interested' in Islam, they would never read 'From My Sisters' Lips' because it doesn't tell them exactly what they want to hear.

All the same, I wish Na'ima Robert and her friends the best of luck as they delve deeper into their chosen faith. They have chosen a tough path to walk. I pray that anyone who reads their book will appreciate the depths of their courage and devotion.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Sisters' Lips, 28 Aug 2005
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
Ms. Roberts does a very good job of showing her own transition from an outsider to a revert's point of view. She marks considerable changes in her thinking. She notes how Islam has impacted her thinking wherein she used to place a huge amount of weight on what others think. Islam allowed her to correct her thought processes and now the importance of what she thinks is magnified as opposed to what society thinks. I applaude her for her writing. It is an inspiration for young women to read everywhere and for them to know that it is more important what they think rather than for them to listen to the ill thoughts of society where 'sexy' rules the majority and 'smart' is the minority.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative & enlightening, 9 Jun 2005
Alison (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
Muslim women have long been misunderstood in the west while Islam has all too often been mis-interpretated by the false notions, myths and sterotypes regarding Muslim women and Islam. Instead of listening to the voices of those who are unqualified to speak on behalf of Islam and Muslim women, it is refreshing to finally hear the personal accounts of women who have chosen to liberate themselves from the chains of repressive societal norms and values and embraced a way of life that offers them dignity, honour and respect (values which have sadly been eroded over the last couple of decades). The author has made distinct references to the many prevailing cultural perceptions of women and addresses the issues that are poignant to both the Muslim woman and the non Muslim woman. The oppression of women takes on many different forms and exists in every society. However what one woman experiences as a form of oppression may be a source of liberation for another woman. The author clearly demonstrates this idea by contrasting the different socio-cultural attitudes and expectations of women in non Muslim and Muslim societies, both of which can be oppressive in their own ways. And as she points out - women will continue to be subjugated if they let cultural norms prevail over their God-given rights. Only through knowledge of these rights will women be able to free themselves from man made social constraints. This is what many of the Muslim women in the book have tried to do on a personal, individual level. As a revert to Islam I can identitfy with some of the experiences mentioned in the book but I cannot relate to them all. But the author does not expect you to. She is merely providing an insight into a few women's experiences upon embracing Islam and how they have grown spiritually through the knowledge they have gained of the true Islamic faith. You do not have to relate or necessarily agree with their views to gain a better understanding of where these Muslim women are coming from. Enlightenment and a better understanding are the keys to this book which does not necessarily require affiliation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 22 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
As a born Muslim, it was refreshing to the read the personal experiences of Muslim reverts from first-hand accounts. I have to disagree with the the review that states that there was a mistake where the the author write that a woman is allowed to show her hands and face, but the reviewer said that "some scholars say the face has to be covered". Everything is open to interpretation, there are scholars who say face covering is unnecessary. I feel its wrong to read a book such as this and to find faults with writer, since she has only tried to give her own account, her own experiences, her own personal viewpoints, some which others will share and some which others may disagree with.
Overall, I felt that this book was amazingly warm and drew to to the writers love for her deen, beliefs. I would definitely not only recommend this for revert muslim women, but all women should give it a read, if only to understand muslim women better and dispell prejudices and ignorance that are held by so many.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing read...., 9 Aug 2007
Dr. Babus Ahmed "Ajooba Cats" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
This book takes you on a spiritual journey of discovery. I think most muslims born into the faith and non-muslims would benefit from reading this cover to cover.

The book explains about the 5 pillars of Islam and 6 pillars of faith, about the declaration of faith and the deen in terms that are practical and inspiring. Every aspect of Islamic life seems to be covered, and it ends on a note that inspires you to read and learn more as well as to become a better human being to your fellow men, and a more conscientious worshipper of God.

I hope Ms. Robert continues to write as she has the gift to inform and inspire. I'll be keeping this one for reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written and interesting and informative too, 14 Sep 2006
E. Wilkins - See all my reviews
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and didnt want it to end ! As a convert to Islam myself I could identify with many of the topics covered. Its a very infomative book without being to ' technical ' its easy to read and would be a great read to have in school for older pupils as I think it would give an understanding of a very much misunderstood faith. It would also be a good book to pass on to family members if you are a convert and want to explain what Islam means to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book., 3 April 2013
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
Every woman should read it be it muslim or non muslim. It's a journey towards Islam through the stories of women from different backgrounds and starting points. Written in a beautiful and unique way. My copy will always remain with me. Although I have bought a number of copies and have gifted to my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars After a second read, 10 Jun 2005
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
After reading the book another time I realised my review may have been a bit harsh; while the book is by no means perfect it is definetely ground breaking and should be applauded

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 27 July 2006
This review is from: From My Sisters' Lips (Paperback)
This is a great book for people who want to gain knowledge about islam. from a womans perspective. it is based on womens experience of islam, and also gives new converts and sisters who have accepted islam to tell their story of how and why they converted.

the author talks about the struggles of being a muslim, and wearing her hijaab(head scarf).

it is an excellent read for anyone, but more for women i think. however i read it and thought it was good too. :) im buying it for my friends who are girls. i think they will like it because my sister loved it and speaks very highly of it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

From My Sisters' Lips
From My Sisters' Lips by Na'ima B Robert (Paperback - 3 May 2006)
6.29