5.0 out of 5 stars A heartrending insight of Saudi Women
Published on 23 April 2002 by Meg Blythe

3.0 out of 5 stars Real unbroken spirit
I only read this book as it kept appearing on my Recommendations list. I had a vague idea on how woman were seen in Saudi Arabia but, how little I knew.
Published on 29 Sep 2002 by ME

3.0 out of 5 stars Real unbroken spirit, 29 Sep 2002
Princess Sultana tells the story of her life - her luxurious prison sentence, just because she is a woman in a land where this means second class citizen. No rights, no choice, she is constantly told what will happen to her and her sisters.
She is a Princess yet no one, not even her father, thinks she is anything special - because she is a daughter and only sons are truly wanted. Her voice is defiant and strong, even in the face of danger. She refuses to accept her lot in life - to serve and obey - all the time knowing she could easily be murdered for being a 'difficult' woman. She risks death again and again to do what she thinks is right, to gain a little freedom and choice over her life. Her spirit is amazing - she has hope in the darkest times. It's astounding that this story is real and that she risked so much over and over - knowing that she too could be murdered like her friends and the police would help cover it up.
Some of her stories are truly sickening, I cannot see how she kept going, knowing she had no help in society - no police force, little parental support, should anything happen to her. Women are taught to get on with life no matter what. Men are always right and can do anything, ANYTHING they want.
The only glimmers of humour and lightness are her accounts on the triumphs over her vile brother Ali. I was delighted when she got away with some of them, though tiny moments of satisfaction and joy can never compensate her largely grim existence.
I wouldn't say this book was enjoyable or pleasant. It's shocking, heart wrenching and disgustingly real. By the end of the book I felt depressingly resigned to the fact that I couldn't do anything to help and Sultanas' story was just one of thousands. It is, however, essential to learn about how different life is in other parts of the world. As a Western woman I feel immensely grateful and humbled by Sultanas story. I hope she is happy wherever she is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartrending insight of Saudi Women, 23 April 2002
Meg Blythe (Wallsend on Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I really did not have a clue what i was going to read, but once I started reading this book of life behind the veil of Saudi women, I could not put it down. It is heart wrenching in parts; Has a touch of humour, despite the suffering; It is very defiant and is certainly eye opening in a way that we western women could not even imagine, the suffering and iniquities against these women of Saudi Arabia. I fully recommend the follow up book, Daughters of Arabia by Jean P Sasoon. Once you begin reading these books, you will not want to put them down or ever forget their contents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Sep 2006
M. Mukhtar "Moazma" (UK, Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Princess (Paperback)
Wether is true or a fiction it is still extremely intresting from the begining to the end. It was hard to put down and i managed to read it within 3 days. Its was interesting and gripping alltogether.

This book had the true Arab feel to it. It makes you want to learn or know more about the Saudia culture and the royal family. Some issues in the book were quite difficult to take in or except e.g. the princess drinking and so close to becoming an alcoholic. This is not accepted and to think the Saudi's of all people can fall to that degree-this is what money can bring you. money does not bring happiness and this is what the princess showed. She was missing something and you can't help but like her character-because she spoke out and discussed her life with everyone, even if the Saudi royal family didn't like it.

To learn the fate of some of the grils was distressing. Also to learn that girls got married to men old enough to be thier father-this is not accepted in the western muslim world. Their muslim cultures do vary from the western muslim culture and the asian muslim culture. This shows their own status, tradition are mixed with religion and changes do occur within each country and muslim area.

5.0 out of 5 stars A shocking insight into a priveleged world., 7 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This book is not for the faint-hearted. We get to see that in a world full of material priveleges, the Saudi princess lacks but one thing - Freedom. The freedom to work, the freedom to speak, the freedom to think... This book lifts the veil on Saudi Arabia revealing to the reader that in one of the wealthiest lands on Earth it is primitively still a man's world - a world of arrogance, domination, ego and ignorance.
This is the story of Sultana - a Saudi princess - living a life of extreme monetary wealth and yet experiencing poverty within the realm of equality and basic human rights. This is a story of her fight for basic rights for the women of Saudi Arabia. It reveals a land of perversion and untold horror - where females are truly seen as expendable. This is a book you are not likely to forget - it will enrage, sadden and numb you, but the small victories won by Princess Sultana will bring out the occasional smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and eye-opening, 1 Nov 2004
I. J. Mann (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a truly fabulous book, I was touched, shocked, saddened and enraged in turn. The bravery of 'Sultana' is inspiring. The writing is very good and I was really pleased with the amount I learnt about women in Saudi Arabia and their society in general. I thouroughly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly moving read, 2 April 2000
By A Customer
I am very interested in different cultures and traditions, particularly in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East where women are treated so differently to how they are here in the west. I was shocked to hear just how differently, and to learn about how much power Saudi men have over their women and the restrictions and expectations that are laid upon them. Reading this made me very shocked and angry, but also proud of 'Sultana's' determination to be herself. It also made me think how incredibaly lucky we western women are, and it made me more appreciative towards our freedom. I think Jean P Sasson took a risk when she decided to write this, as did 'Sultana', but it is a brilliant, moving and inspiring book that deserves the greatest respect.

4.0 out of 5 stars My review on "Princess", 13 Feb 2002
By A Customer
I found this book very interesting to read.
It is really easy to get in tune with the characters and my heart goes out to all the ladies of Saudi Arabia and thank myself lucky enough not to be in such a situation.
Although saying this there were a few things (like descriptions of our relegion) that I think maybe should not have been mentioned in the book or if they were the topic should have been approached in a different way.
If I were a non muslim I would have thought of Islam as a barbaric religion.
Personally I also feel that the cover of the book should not have had "An appallung indictment of the treatment of woman in Saudia Arabi" all over it as this sends stero typical ideas to narrow minded people.
Also the fact that "Sultana" wishes to hide her identity leads to thoughts such as; how much of "Sultana's" life had the author changed to make her book more enjoyable to the reader?!?!?
I would still recommend it as a good read and it is definatley an eye opener but I whoever advise that whoever reads this book should do with an open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELENT BOOK...SHOCKING TO KNOW ITS SO VERY TRUE., 5 July 2000
When i was first given this book to read i never realised that this was going to be a story which would never leave my mind...nor my heart. After reading it, I realised i never want to forget what reality is. Islam is a beautiful religion, but like everywhere else, there will be people who choose to abuse their power, trust and rights in order to get what they want. 'Princess' is a story which is so shocking that i was left stunned on so many occassions. I felt for the women and I cried for the women. I highly recommend this book to everyone...you'll know what i mean once you've read this powerful story.

3.0 out of 5 stars A gilded places, 6 Aug 2014
Mr. S. Walsh (kilkenny , ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Princess (Kindle Edition)
This book by a Princess of the Saudi Arabia born into wealth but because she is a women in Saudi Arabia she is a second class citizen , but if she a Princess the other people on the social scale were fare below here foreign works who are treated badly and pad badly even though the kingdom is so wealthy . In fact was on of the last countries to stop slavery only in the 1950s. Her life is lived in a gilded prison . But for other women life is mush different where even the slightest social mishap can leave them being stoned to death or put in prison . But one thing one really found in this book is that the author cant see that it’s the religion and its ideology that’s keeping the country back works. Yet any one that changes religion is put to death a fact that was not put in the book . While the sorry of the child taken form its family of foreign works and then given back after the Childs kidney was taken . Perhaps they were luck they got the child back with money. But the idea that every thing is up for sale if you have enough money is sad . Still that such a book is written and the publishers were not afraid to publish it is some thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener!, 9 April 2003
I was recommended this book by someone when I was considering taking a job contract in Saudi Arabia. It was a real awakening to how other people live their lives in different cultures.
The terrible stories recounted by one of the most priviliged women in Saudi leaves you struck-dumb as to how much worse it must be for those who have even less rights and privileges.
A must read to anyone who considers themselves a world citizen!

Princess
Princess by Jean Sasson (Paperback - 1 Oct 2004)