5.0 out of 5 stars The strength of female friendship
Published on 8 Nov. 2004 by Joanne Schofield

2.0 out of 5 stars Got quite bored
I really struggled with this, in fact woudlnt have read as much as I did if it weren't for my book group. Struggled with the characters.
Published 11 months ago by nm

5.0 out of 5 stars The strength of female friendship, 8 Nov. 2004
Joanne Schofield (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (Paperback)
This book charts the lives of five women, who form a reading group and call themselves, 'Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons'. Through this group solid, lasting friendships are formed which continue to grow stronger as their lives unravel through the decades. It's a book bursting with emotions; happiness and joy are juxtaposed with pain and tragedy but the characters in this book are strong, courageous women who are all survivors and I admired them greatly.
From the late 60's to the present day the reader observes their difficulties, desires and delights, all greatly enhanced by Landvik's wonderfully warm writing. Her unique style and vivid imagery burst from the pages, making this book a pleasure to read; (..."Autumn, beautiful rusty gold and maroon autumn was a matron in tweeds and sensible shoes who begged you to come outside and take a walk with her whilst listening to her recite Shakespeare and Byron and Shelley...")
Overall, this was a hugely enjoyable book about the powerful bond of friendship. Read it, identify and emphathise with the characters and I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrating friendship, 4 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and was hooked very early on. The underlying theme behind the book is very akin to the popular TV series Desperate Housewives, where a group of diverse women come together and find strength in their friendship. Unlike Desperate Housewives, these women come together to form a book group, and although they take the book-review process quite seriously it is clear that the "club" is mainly a way to ensure they all get together at regular intervals to share in eachother's lives and eat great home-made desserts! As a group they go through most life experiences, including serious illness, bereavement, domestic abuse, as well as lots of joy and happiness along the way. The author allows us to really feel like we know these characters extremely well, as their individual life stories gradually unfold.

4.0 out of 5 stars A gem of its type, 3 Oct. 2004
Michelle Scott (Wellington New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (Paperback)
It is unusual for me to rate a novel like this - pretty much in the "easy reading" category - so highly. So what's good about it? The historical context (follows the experience of a group of women friends who for over 30 years are members of a book group which they have named "AHEB" - hence the book's title) with a flavour of some of the issues of the different decades covered (1960s- 1998), the variety of life experiences (these are all middle-class women, so there is something in each of their experiences which an "average" reader like me can identify with), the appeal of the theme of women supporting women. Well written, appealing format, never too corny, never boring or difficult to pick back up again when you have had to put it down - and very much a novel full of the stuff of my life (past, present and future) and the lives of my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sugary sweet but ultimately rewarding, 3 Sept. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (Paperback)
This is American fiction in the feel-good, homespun, sugary sweet way. It took a while to get into it but it then became addictive. The lives of the women in a reading club that spans decades is captured in a lively and sometimes moving way.

5.0 out of 5 stars SIGN ME UP FOR THIS BOOK GROUP!!!!, 13 May 2003
TheReader23 (Pennsylvania (orig. NY)) - See all my reviews
Two years ago, while on vacation at the Jersey shore, I read a great book about the bonding and friendship of a group of women who had been friends for ten years. That book was The Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney and it's remained one of my favorites. Since then, I've read many books exploring these same relationships among women and the emotional links that tie us together but had not come upon anything that could measure up to Gaffney's book. I am happy to report that not only have I found something that measures up but I've also found something that might even surpass that book.
I think that part of the appeal for me of Angry Housevies is twofold. First of all, the women are part of a book group and the reader gets to go to many of their monthly book group meetings. Secondly, this book spans four decades starting with the 60's and ending with the 90's. Consequently, it's like taking a trip down memory lane as the reader is reminded of the politics, bestsellers, fashions, and mindset of each of these eras in the twentieth century. It's a nostalgic reading experience as they share their cigarettes in the 60's, protest the war in the 70's, conquer homophobia in the 80's and are there for each other in the 90's as some of them go through some very tough times.
Landvik introduces us to some wonderful characters....women you can relate to....women who remind you of some of your own friends....women who know HOW to be friends. They're all so very different, yet all so very alike because they're all women who not only want what friendship of other women can offer but need it as well. There's Kari, who wants nothing more than to be a mother; Audrey, the sexiest of the bunch but is she sexy enough for her husband; Faith, mother of twins yet plagued by secrets from her own childhood; Merit, beautiful and shy and the victim of an abusive husband and lastly Slip, the very petite political activist.
To say I enjoyed this book would be an understatement. I loved every chapter...every page...every word. Although I've heard many other readers rave about Lorna Landvik in the past, for some reason I had just never picked up one of her books. Why then did I start with Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons? No doubt it was the title...that was the first draw. But the deciding factor for me was the chance to read about an actual book group and think that I could be one of the angry housewives, if only in my fictional world. Of course, eating the bon bons is the "Piece de Resistance" because, let's face it, what's a few calories amongst friends...especially the friends you'll meet in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS BOOK - YOU WON'T REGRET IT!, 14 Sept. 2010
J. Smith-Stephens (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (Paperback)
While flipping through a note pad I came across my grandmothers writing in the middle of it - she passed away 3 years ago - on the page were a few books and authors names - one of which was Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons and House of Curl. I found House of Curl in her bookcase and promptly started reading - and kept reading - the characters and story the reader can relate to and you won't put it down. Before I'd even finished House of Curl I ordered Angry Housewives and again, an amazing story! I grew up in MN and now live in London - Lorna's stories transport me back to MN - places I recognize - the winter weather I miss - and the dear dear friends...all can be found in her stories and they captivate you! I'm online now to write this review and order 2 more of Lorna's amazing books! She is a very gifted author - you'll laugh and you'll cry and you'll want to start a book club asap!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book about an American Book Club, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (Paperback)
My friend in the USA recommended this book so straight onto Amazon I went. The book was fantastic value as a "used/near new" for a very small amout. In perfect condition. The story was very american to begin with but then as you got to know the characters and tried to guess how it would unfold I was quickly hooked. I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Got quite bored, 28 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional read for anyone with friends they will cherish forever, 12 Feb. 2014
Unputdownable!! This book is for every girl who could not manage without the support of her friends...and a good book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Fluff, 14 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (Paperback)
An easy undemanding read reflecting the life of a group of middle class US women who form a book group. Don't expect much depth : more about the food they eat at them eetings than the books; the five women are characterised as sex maniac/ liberal / widow who gets a daughter / woman ashamed of her past / and battered wife who finds love and don't go far outside this driving force, and the preoccupations of the decades the gorup passes through are mere shadows.

If you're a woman and into soaps this is for you. If not give it a miss

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik (Paperback - 1 May 2004)