Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2004
I started on this diet 18 months ago and boy, what a difference.
I am sharper, brighter, more alive, better at my work, more energetic, can eat as much as I like, suffer no ill health or pain and discomfort...I could go on all day but I think you get the idea. This book is not a diet fad, it is a life changer.
You may think that a book talking about fresh fruit and vegetables, air, water, sunshine and exercise is just common sense. Well you would be right, it is. Unfortunately with all the different opinions we receive from health advisers and food companies it is easy to get confused about what we should eat.
I would suggest trying this diet for 10 days and see how you feel. I suspect you will notice an improvement in well being very quickly and any way the money you spend on the book will be paid back by a lower grocery bill (fresh produce is cheaper than cooked or processed). What have you got to lose?
Well done Harvey and Marilyn Diamond for speaking the truth, and thank you.
on 6 October 2001
If you can get over the breathless, cheesy, evangelical style of this book, and just try the eating plan -you'll be amazed. It really works. In just 3 weeks I have lost 14 pounds, whilst enjoying every meal, and even going to several dinner parties. Most miraculous of all - I have had no cravings and have been able to resist all temptations. On this plan you need never go hungry - yet there is no desire to overeat. For the first time ever, I have found a plan I feel I could follow for life. I have already converted my husband and two friends, who have all had similar success. Best of all - you feel great. I cannot recommend this highly enough.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2012
Hubertus Busse tells his story: For me "Fit for life" is THE operating manual of how to feed my body. I apply the book now for more than 40 years succesfully which mesns I stiil hold my weight. "Fit for life" is a good prescription of how to get your body fit, regulate your weight and get rid of all deposits of bad food which cause your body to get sick. It says the body goes along with the sun. When the sun is rising the body starts itself a purifying process of the residues of any waste from the day before. The body wants to get rid of ALL waste from yesterday. You can help it with profoundly chewing apples all morning and nothing else in the morning till high noon. After some weeks you do not want to eat anything else. I lost weight from 94 kilos down to 76 kilos after having been months in the US. The body machine adapts quickly to your new healthy lifestyle. I had to use the Italian restaurant's toilette opposite my flat as my toilette could not cope with the smell of what came out of my bowels during these days. All waste of the last 35 years seemed being removed. I lost 16 kg and had many detoxifying and cleansing indications like the skin showed nasty pimles, I smelled a bit strange for some days. Seemed as if my body had stored all rubbish and decayed food all my life. From sunrise to high noon is the excreton time of the body. No acid means no coffee, no bread, no jam etc. means no food besides watery fruit like apples (no banana) to help the body to cleanse itself. My father got rid of his rheumatism, arthitis and arthrosis he had suffered with for over 30 years. He got . And was not sick until he died with 95 1/2 years. My mother had suffered from gout and her hands looked like claws. After six weeks of eating apples profoundly and patiently chewed she could play piano like a 17-years old girl again which she hadn't been able for nearly 20 years. And the book tells you more. It is well worth to study it at least five times. Not just "read" than to "study" this book. It makes you fit for life. You have to read only half of the book as the last half of the book are recipes. Hubertus Busse
on 21 September 2001
The principles you will read in this book just make so much sense it is frightening! I have been sticking loosely to what is suggested for a week and already I can sense a real difference in the way my body feels and the amount of toxins in my system. It is very "American" in style, but the content is very difficult to dispute. I'm a convert.
on 22 January 2007
People please note, this book is unlike the other diet fad books-the atkins, the GI and all the other nonesense. It begins at the very beginning by stating that in life there are very few failures like "the diet" and as such they distance themselves from this terminolgy.

This is NOT a diet book, the authors do not endorse the "eat badly, diet later scheme". Theirs is simple: incorporate a creative healthy eating and EXERCISING rregime into your life where you will be comfortable eating food, and knowing what you take in is actually good for you. They endorse this by saying, its WHAT you eat, WHEN you eat, and under what COMBINATIONS you eat. I cannot stress how clear this book is. Its unbelievable! Its like biology for dummies, yet it makes it clear that in this day and age our bodies are taking in so much crap we are unclear about what we should be eating, when and how.

The authors cite credible sources so you can even check them out; yet this does not mean that their word is perfectly correct. No. Yet because the authors recognise different lifestyles and constraints they try and incorporate for all, even with a cook book in the end-a detailed cook book on examples one can eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Id say for the skeptical readers, read it first. Read it all (thank God it is a good read too, so it shouldnt take long). I guarantee after you are done you will feel energized and in control because for once you will know what your body needs, you will learn to recognise tell-tales of indigestion or just wrong combination eating and you will work towards creating a healthy lifestyle suitable for you.

A mental note, exercise exercise exercise. It doesnt work any other way-this book is about creating a new start and a new lifestyle. Best of luck!
on 18 July 2001
This book may be gushy in parts but the principles are excellent. Using only a few of the recipes offered I am eating satisfying healthy meals and haven't felt hungry in two weeks. Before changing to this lifestyle I was sluggish, constipated, tired, had dark shadows under my eyes and always wanting something sweet to eat. Now I can walk into a sweet shop without craving anything. No longer constipated, with much improved energy levels I am looking forward to losing the next 14lbs. I hope I can always eat to this plan and wish I had started years ago...
on 26 February 2004
I've been on this diet for over 15 years now, and what can I say? It works. Whether the explanations they offer for WHY it works are right or not, I simply don't know. All I do know is that since being on the diet, I lost over a stone - and it's stayed off. I haven't been ill once in that time - not even a cold. I have bags more energy than I used to have - and more than almost anyone else I know. And the best thing about it is that I can - in effect - eat as much as I want. Yes, the combinations I can eat at any one meal are restricted, but to me, that's a small price to pay for all the benefits.

As for the book, well, it has a rather verbose, Californian style, but stick with it. You won't regret it.

Oh, and the Avocado dressing recipe at the very end is brilliant as a dip..
on 22 April 2014
This was so the right choice for me to make. My digestive system, and how food can either make or break my skin, mood and energy levels throughout the day, has always been a mystery to me. That is, until I found this book.

Did you know your digestive system goes through three main cycles a day? I didn't! It turns out I was eating too late in the day, and starting off with foods that were too heavy for that cycle, which meant I was stressing my system out and making it do things at a time when it should have been doing something else.

Now that I'm following the natural cycle of my system I'm seeing a big improvement in my PMSD (hormones - yuck!), my skin, weight, vitality, and energy. I feel more positive and in control of food, and when I eat.

Thanks to this book, I know to begin my day with melon, then lots of fruit and veggies up until noon when my system begins the next cycle. When I do this, my body enjoys a natural cycle and I never suffer with constipation! If I don't follow it (and I didn't for a few days because of an extended family celebration), it hits me like a ton of bricks - I feel sluggish, constipated, moody, and tearful.

Life is too short for that!

If you want to understand how food and eating times can enhance your body's cycle, buy this book. You can get a used copy for next to nothing.
on 25 January 2000
I am a diabetic and suffered from high blood pressure, after reading this book and applying its ideas I lost 28 lbs in weight, my sugar level stabilised and my blood pressure reduced, I didn't stick to it initially but the weight I lost did not return. its a must for overweight people.
on 11 July 2000
Ever felt that you have no control over your body weight? Ever felt less than healthy? Perhaps you suffer from ailments such as tiredness, skin complaints or constipation? If any of these apply to you then you haven't read Fit for Life!
Yes! believe me, when you have finished this book and consequently followed the main principles you will not recognise yourself for your visible health and natural side effects of vitality and weight loss.
I first read this book in November 1996 and re-read it every year to refresh my mind of all the principles. If I am feeling a bit low, I can link it to my failure to follow the main principles for a couple of weeks, but when I get back on track again, within 24 hours I can feel the results again.
When I first read this book, something felt wrong about the way I felt physically and emotionally and I felt I had no control over my weight. This book asks you to use common sense and reason with the ideas and principles raised. Everything The Diamonds write continues to work and I am now confident with my figure, health and wellbeing.
This book is not a diet but a plan for life to feel great, look great and enhance all aspects of your life!
I cannot stress how important the main principles are. Everyone needs to read this! I am naturally positive about this book as it transformed my life and will transform yours if you read it!