Format: PaperbackChange

on 6 October 2001
If you can get over the breathless, cheesy, evangelical style of this book, and just try the eating plan -you'll be amazed. It really works. In just 3 weeks I have lost 14 pounds, whilst enjoying every meal, and even going to several dinner parties. Most miraculous of all - I have had no cravings and have been able to resist all temptations. On this plan you need never go hungry - yet there is no desire to overeat. For the first time ever, I have found a plan I feel I could follow for life. I have already converted my husband and two friends, who have all had similar success. Best of all - you feel great. I cannot recommend this highly enough.
0Comment84 of 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2004
I started on this diet 18 months ago and boy, what a difference.
I am sharper, brighter, more alive, better at my work, more energetic, can eat as much as I like, suffer no ill health or pain and discomfort...I could go on all day but I think you get the idea. This book is not a diet fad, it is a life changer.
You may think that a book talking about fresh fruit and vegetables, air, water, sunshine and exercise is just common sense. Well you would be right, it is. Unfortunately with all the different opinions we receive from health advisers and food companies it is easy to get confused about what we should eat.
I would suggest trying this diet for 10 days and see how you feel. I suspect you will notice an improvement in well being very quickly and any way the money you spend on the book will be paid back by a lower grocery bill (fresh produce is cheaper than cooked or processed). What have you got to lose?
Well done Harvey and Marilyn Diamond for speaking the truth, and thank you.
0Comment48 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 January 2000
I am a diabetic and suffered from high blood pressure, after reading this book and applying its ideas I lost 28 lbs in weight, my sugar level stabilised and my blood pressure reduced, I didn't stick to it initially but the weight I lost did not return. its a must for overweight people.
0Comment30 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2004
I've been on this diet for over 15 years now, and what can I say? It works. Whether the explanations they offer for WHY it works are right or not, I simply don't know. All I do know is that since being on the diet, I lost over a stone - and it's stayed off. I haven't been ill once in that time - not even a cold. I have bags more energy than I used to have - and more than almost anyone else I know. And the best thing about it is that I can - in effect - eat as much as I want. Yes, the combinations I can eat at any one meal are restricted, but to me, that's a small price to pay for all the benefits.

As for the book, well, it has a rather verbose, Californian style, but stick with it. You won't regret it.

Oh, and the Avocado dressing recipe at the very end is brilliant as a dip..
0Comment34 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2001
This book may be gushy in parts but the principles are excellent. Using only a few of the recipes offered I am eating satisfying healthy meals and haven't felt hungry in two weeks. Before changing to this lifestyle I was sluggish, constipated, tired, had dark shadows under my eyes and always wanting something sweet to eat. Now I can walk into a sweet shop without craving anything. No longer constipated, with much improved energy levels I am looking forward to losing the next 14lbs. I hope I can always eat to this plan and wish I had started years ago...
0Comment50 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2012
"Fit for life" is a very logic prescription of how to get your body "fit for life". It says the body goes along with the sun. When the sun is rising the body starts its cleaning of the residues of the waste from the day before. The body wants to get rid of ALL waste from yesterday. You can help it with profoundly chewing for example apples all morning and nothing else. After some weeks you do not want to eat anything else. The body machine has adapted to your new healthy lifestyle. I had to use the Italian restaurant's toilette opposite my flat as my toilette could not cope with the smell of what came out of my bowels. All waste of the last 35 years seemed to being removed. I lost 16 kg and had many detoxifying and cleansing indications like the skin showed for some day different than usual, the smell of the body got strange a bit for some days. Seemed as if my body had stored all rubbish and residues from food all my life. And had not been able to get rid of the excreted matter because I never obeyed to the rule: The time from sunrise to high noon is the excreton time of the body. No acid means no coffee, no food besides watery fruit like apples (no banana)to help the body to cleanse itself. My father got rid of his rheumatism, arthitis and arthrosis he had suffered with for over 30 years. He got 95 1/2 years old. And not sick until he died. My mother had suffered from gout in her hands being like claws. After six weeks of eating apples profoundly and patiently chewed she could play piano again which she hadn't been able for nearly 20 years. And the book tells you more. It is well worth to study it at least five times. Not just "read" than to "study" this book. It makes you fit for life.
on 17 January 2011
The concept of the book is great. A balance of eating( fruit fasting almost) with fruit (2- 4 pieces)/fruit juice ( up to 14 oz.) for breakfast and snacking on fruit when hungry between 8a.m. and noon. Vegetables (salad)/vegetable juice for lunch, and then more veggies/salad/meat for dinner. You can snack on fruit 3 hrs. after a lunch/dinner without meat and 4 hrs. with meat. Dinner may be a ton of veggies, but only one cooked component, so no meat and potatoes or pasta with meatballs, just meat and steamed veggies and salad...but you may have a large and filling portion of salad/veggies. The most difficult part for myself was to refrain from having coffee/caffeine until after noon; still, at least I can still have it.
I gave 4 stars because of the lay out of the books material. I would like for the book to have a quick start guide/quick reference of the basic concepts of this eating plan. It has the eating guidelines and tips interwoven throughout the chapters. I read the book and tagged the pages that were pertaining to the concept of the diet.
on 21 September 2001
The principles you will read in this book just make so much sense it is frightening! I have been sticking loosely to what is suggested for a week and already I can sense a real difference in the way my body feels and the amount of toxins in my system. It is very "American" in style, but the content is very difficult to dispute. I'm a convert.
0Comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2009
I loved this book. I originally read 'Easyweigh to Lose Weight' by Allen Carr (also available on Amazon.co.uk and on which I have given an almost identical review. ) 'Easyweigh' is based on the principles of this book 'Fit for Life'. All my life, every time I ate the wrong things, I felt sluggish, was constipated, and just instinctively knew my diet (meat and dairy for instance) was not doing me any good. Morally, I have no problem with the thought of killing and eating animals for food. I was brought up in a meat and two veg environment; a main meal did not feel like a meal unless it had these things...meat, potatoes, veg, and maybe fruit, or something dairy for pudding. I never questioned the order in which I ate my food, or the rightful place of meat or milk in my diet. We just eat sensibly from the four food groups in order to remain healthy - or so our belief systems tell us. However, an hour into this book, I knew I would never eat meat personally again. It was like a light going on in my head. Without actually describing it in so many words, I could see what I was doing to my body through my diet...how I was dried up and dehydrated, with up to three months worth of rotting dead animal backed up inside my colon. Yummy. No wonder I had had bad breath, a swollen tummy and constipation. I did not for one moment think this book would stop me eating meat. Yes, if you read this book you will definitely change your eating habits, and definitely lose weight. You will also probably convert to become a vegan, or at least a vegetarian. But why does that have to sound like an apology? Why should it be a bad thing? Veggies, fruit and other plants are natural foods for humans to eat. Every time there is a great discovery of a compound that helps cancer or other human maladies, it comes from the plant kingdom. You'll never find an 'amazing discovery' that has been isolated in a pork chop. Harvey also blows apart the myths of brainwashing and learned belief systems. I don't feel like I am missing out by stopping eating meat; I don't feel deprived. I don't feel miserable at the thought of a meat free life. Instead, I feel like I am on the edge of a jump into a new life... I feel excited by the changes that are happening in my body. I feel as if I have been set free.
on 22 January 2007
People please note, this book is unlike the other diet fad books-the atkins, the GI and all the other nonesense. It begins at the very beginning by stating that in life there are very few failures like "the diet" and as such they distance themselves from this terminolgy.

This is NOT a diet book, the authors do not endorse the "eat badly, diet later scheme". Theirs is simple: incorporate a creative healthy eating and EXERCISING rregime into your life where you will be comfortable eating food, and knowing what you take in is actually good for you. They endorse this by saying, its WHAT you eat, WHEN you eat, and under what COMBINATIONS you eat. I cannot stress how clear this book is. Its unbelievable! Its like biology for dummies, yet it makes it clear that in this day and age our bodies are taking in so much crap we are unclear about what we should be eating, when and how.

The authors cite credible sources so you can even check them out; yet this does not mean that their word is perfectly correct. No. Yet because the authors recognise different lifestyles and constraints they try and incorporate for all, even with a cook book in the end-a detailed cook book on examples one can eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Id say for the skeptical readers, read it first. Read it all (thank God it is a good read too, so it shouldnt take long). I guarantee after you are done you will feel energized and in control because for once you will know what your body needs, you will learn to recognise tell-tales of indigestion or just wrong combination eating and you will work towards creating a healthy lifestyle suitable for you.

A mental note, exercise exercise exercise. It doesnt work any other way-this book is about creating a new start and a new lifestyle. Best of luck!