5.0 out of 5 stars life changing.
Published on 24 July 2003 by kathryn

2.0 out of 5 stars Please exercise caution when reading this book
This book is well written and a good read. The title is seductive for all those who either have suffered or feel they've suffered abuse as a child. I don't wish to question the author's integrity, but I think this is a book which must be approached with some caution. The key chapter is #13. It encourages controlled confrontation with the perpetrators of the abuse. My word...
Published 12 months ago by Mr. M. J. Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing., 24 July 2003
This review is from: Toxic Parents; Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life (Paperback)
If you had bullying or controlling or abusive parents this is a MUST!!! It will help you understand the root of every issue or problem or personality trait which has eluded you. YOU MUST BE PREPARED to get angry, cry out loud. Try to give yourself time to read and come to terms with what you learn. I read it on holiday! It will force you to address issues with your parents in order to move on and be a real whole person. Reading this book has been the best and most life changing thing I have ever done-also the most painful.(therapy with someone familiar with the text is to be recommended post read!!!!) All I can say is thankyou Susan !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely helpful book, a real eye opener., 21 Jan 2002
S. Morley (Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toxic Parents (Paperback)
I found this book very easy to read - no technical jargon to wade through, very helpful and informative. A number of case studies of those who have been suffering because of the way their parents treated them. Also practical help on how to deal with feelings of anger, resentment and bitterness resulting from ill treatment of a variety of natures, if and when to confront and how best to do it. A must for anyone in the counselling business or anyone just needing guidance in this area.

5.0 out of 5 stars desperate to get control of my life, 17 Jun 2008
I ordered this book when i reached breaking point. Unlike other self-help books it wasn't too Americanized and gave plenty of examples of men and women who couldn't cope due to family disputes and manipulation.
This book gave me the courage to face up to my difficult mother and deal with other painful memories. I also saw a therapist so the two things meant i could move on and start living MY life. Hurrah. A great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book may really help you..., 24 Aug 1999
This review is from: Toxic Parents (Paperback)
Mine was not a tale of incest or alcoholism, but just about every other "toxic" thing parents could do happened in my family. This book has already made a difference to me by clearly affirming what I feel is true about the "toxic" behavior (and that's very reassuring when denial is a big factor.) I realize what I have been seeking all these years is the parental approval and love I missed but that I should stop looking for what will never be there. The book offers great suggestions on how to disengage from a destructive parental relationship by NOT REACTING to the "toxic" behavior. I'm writing this review in the hope that others may find this book helpful, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read for anyone who thinks they may have "difficult" parents, 16 Jan 2011
A marvellous straight talking book - some people may think that it's a little cold but I found that it was exactly what I needed, providing clear and sound reasoning of why I feel the way I do without any hint of pity, being patronised or the requirement to take the moral high ground by forgiving and forgetting the behaviour of my truly toxic parents. I have never spoken about my family life because I always thought I had made up the events of my childhood, that it was me that was sick, it was all my fault anyway and it really wasn't that bad! I bought this book to shame myself out of the feelings of having had a bad childhood. This book made me realise that I really did have a terrible childhood and my feelings towards my past and my parents were perfectly normal (although, far from healthy). This book provides strategies for dealing with controlling, demanding, manipulative parents that doesn't necessarily involve confrontation. It also deals with parents that deny all wrong doings, transfer blame, or are now absent. I cant recommend this book enough to anyone who thinks they might have had a bad time as a kid, or think that it wasn't that bad, or that their parents only do/did their best and they acted out of love for their kids..... etc

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible life-changing read, 21 May 2006
This book is just incredible. For the first time I felt valued and acknowledged. I have read this book twice now and the impact was greater the second time because I finally got really honest about things that had happened. What is great is the hope it offers, the continual reminder that you can unmesh yourself from the hurt of your childhood and your parents and claim a life of your own. Susan Forward uses real life examples to back up her professional advice. Some of the things you are led to think of are painful but it is very accessible and you are taken on your journey step by step. Be brave and rediscover the the real you. I thoroughly recommend it. This is not just another self-help book..

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sraight talking advice I've had outside therapy, 31 July 2003
By A Customer
Susan takes you through the process of accepting and trusting what you feel and remember about your childhood to be real, accepting the incredible impact your parents still have on your actions and decision making capabilities, and also urges you to let go of the fantasy that your parents will change and make you all better again. Instead, she shows you specific ways of gaining control of your life and choosing how far your parents will remain the dictating influence in your thought process. I read it cover to cover in 48 hours - just to make sure there were no 'traps' or things I am too afraid to do. There aren't. You are in control, you set the pace, and you don't need to move on to the next stage until you are ready. A must for anyone who feels like they don't know how to be themselves, or even just "be". I'm about to go through it again and sort my life out. No more burying my head, now I'm in control!

5.0 out of 5 stars Toxic Parents, Susan Forward - Just brilliant., 26 Aug 2004
D. Ellis "OnlyOneMe" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is just a superb book, which is separated in to two parts. Every chapter is brilliantly written, dealing with a range of issues (physical, emotional and sexual abuse) and the wealth of emotions - and questions - that accompany them. The second part of the book is about reclaiming your life; the chapter on 'forgiveness' is one not to be missed. Susan Forward asks why SHOULD someone forgive parents that have abused, who fail to acknowledge that abuse and even continue to abuse; she argues that self-healing starts by working through the feelings of anger and grief and placing the responsibility for those feelings at the Toxic Parents' door. She also tackles the subject of confronting Toxic Parents, how to do this and what to expect as an outcome. As well as a book for those who feel they have Toxic Parents, this book is ideal for someone thinking about a career in Counselling/Psychotherapy - in this book, Susan Forward outlines scenarios where abuse has been prevalent, giving an idea of the thought processes clients may have.

5.0 out of 5 stars RIGHT ON!!!!!!!, 14 Aug 1999
This review is from: Toxic Parents (Paperback)
This book has changed my life. It gave me the courage to face my darkest fears and to confront my mother in a clear,well thought out,respectful,and even loving way. She, my mother, was surprised to hear me speak in authoritatively and finnaly take charge of my life. I particularly like the step by step instructions which help to untangle alot of mixed up feelings and emotions. But what amazed me most was how the author hit it right on the nail for the reactions of the confronted parent. Thank you for giving us the insight to know what to espect and how to react

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver, 18 May 2009
If the title says it to you - then you know why you should read it.
This book hits the nail on the head. Sometimes it feels too plain, and like a heavy hammer - but that is exactly what it is, it hits right home. We spend so much time trying to find answers, struggling emotionally, blaming ourselves and still hoping that our parents will change. We feel if we could just get things just right, just the way they want them, they'll become that loving parent our inner child longs for. But they won't. And we're not children anymore. We need to raise ourselves up, so we can live our lives and not crumble - in fact, do what they failed to do as parents, and then move on. And here is how.

Toxic Parents; Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life