4.0 out of 5 stars French Spirits
Published on 11 Feb 2004 by MR BARRY KEMP

1.0 out of 5 stars Americans did it better again!
Published on 29 Sep 2003 by T R GRANT

1.0 out of 5 stars Americans did it better again!, 29 Sep 2003
T R GRANT (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: French Spirits (Paperback)
I chose this book as I own a property in France and have read several books about purchases abroad. I found this book tiring to read, and the author spends the first 3 chapters telling us all about his childhood in America and his relatives twice removed! Eventually he starts to tell about his purchase of a property in France - Rogny - But unfortunately he fails to do no more than droll on and on about himself and his mother! The village drunk had the best interest, and I wonder whether he was a drunk before the Author got there. The only reason I finished the book was the cost!

4.0 out of 5 stars French Spirits, 11 Feb 2004
MR BARRY KEMP (Gillingham, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: French Spirits (Paperback)
I found this a very gentle book to read. It meanders through the authors trials and tribulations in restoring an old presbytery, liberally interspersed with information on his background and 'other' life as an academic. I felt that the final chapter did not have the same tranquility as the others, perhaps he needed to complete swiftly. What shines through the whole book is his love for his wife, the strength of his friendship with various characters in the village, the love of his old presbytery and his contentment with his lot. A lovely read

3.0 out of 5 stars review, 4 May 2014
This review is from: French Spirits (Paperback)
Did not know wether or not i would enjoy this book and to be truthful i was not overly impressed.If anything i found it rather boring in parts.Not one of my favorite reads.

1.0 out of 5 stars It went in the bin, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: French Spirits (Paperback)
I did not like the way it was written, I found it difficult to stay interested. I have read many books on buying houses and living in France, as I have done so myself. This book however was terrible (for me) I'm not sure what it was about the book, style of writting, Americanisms! I don't know, I got frustrated and put it in the bin. I then took it out and tried again, I tried skipping bits about quotes and books by others that had nothing to do with the subjuct of buying/living in France ........ Then BINNED it for good. Sorry but not a good read for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Portrayal of Life in Burgundy!, 17 Jan 2008
This review is from: French Spirits (Paperback)
I read this book whilst on holiday at my parents' house in Burgundy and found it very atmospheric and relaxing.

His descriptions of Burgundy in winter are beautifully and poetically written as well as authentic. I also like the way he talks about his family and its history as they give the book another element in addition to the story about building a life in France.

I highly recommend this if you want a gentle but also interesting read.

French Spirits
French Spirits by Jeffrey Greene (Paperback - 3 Mar 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01