5.0 out of 5 stars If you like serial killer thrillers, here's a goodie
Published on 31 July 2006 by O E J

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly average crime fiction
This is one of those books that I just can't make my mind up over. I think I thought it was only OK. It kept me turning the pages and I was keen to find out how it ended, but I didn't feel particularly struck with shock by the ending (although I never guessed whodunnit either) and there were no real 'twists' to speak of. I wasn't expecting this to be as gruesome as it is...
Published on 23 Aug. 2012 by Marie

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like serial killer thrillers, here's a goodie, 31 July 2006
O E J - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This was my introduction to Tess Gerritsen and it has left a very positive impression, such that I have quickly ordered half-a-dozen more from her portfolio to add to the three I already own. As a background, I enjoy the works of Val Mcdermid, Karin Slaughter, Mark Billingham, PJ Tracy, Jeffrey Deaver, Simon Kernick and Jilliane Hoffman, all of whom have produced their own particular take on serial murder and who have at times also developed stories whose central theme is sexual assault, as is the case in The Surgeon.

There is never any doubt as to the authenticity and credibility of the events in and around the operating room, for this is a thriller with heavy emphasis on the anatomical aspects of assault and murder rather than a display of violence for its own sake. In this way the imagery created is altogether more convincing because the impression is always that the author is completely confident in describing the medical, physical and forensic details of events leading up to, and all police investigations after, a horrific sexually oriented murder.

In this, the first of what has become a series involving Boston-based homicide detective Jane Rizzoli and her partner in crime Detective Thomas Moore, three women have been assaulted (two fatally) and in a particularly gruesome fashion. It emerges that the very attractive surgeon Catherine Cordell is being hunted down by the killer, for she was once assaulted by a friend of his two years earlier when she lived further south in Savannah, Georgia. It seems that the killer has followed her to Boston and has a uniquely intimate understanding and knowledge of her body and movements, even though she has no recollection of ever having met him. Love blooms between Catherine and Moore, much to the disgust and possible jealousy of the less than stunning Rizzoli. Suspects in the form of red herrings are dangled here and there, and in fairness this is a thriller that could be said to thrill right to the very end - it could not be accused of being clichéd or formulaic, and the conclusion was, for a pleasant change, constructed and executed with skill and finesse. This is a story which cried out for a good ending and did not disappoint in this regard.

Welcome to the serial killer club, Tess - I hope the follow-ups to this introduction to the series are at least as good as this one. Definitely recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars absorbing, 4 Dec. 2006
Andy Edwards "staxasoul" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Tess Gerritsen certainly likes to dwell on the gory details of the stories she creates, so this is not for the faint hearted, nor for those who do not want to be reminded of the depths of human depravity.

The story of a copycat serial killer and the increasingly frantic attempts to find him will involve you, and the ways he avoids detection, while continuing his gruesome quest, stay on the right side of believable. The characters are sufficiently well drawn to make you care about their fate and easily the most interesting of these is the female cop - there is much more material to come from this direction

This story continues the rise of Tess Gerritsen as an author worth reading and also the great tradition of "serial killer thrillers" a la Thomas Harris. If you are a fan of the genre then this will be right up your street, it's well written, the plot unfolds in a satisfying way without the "end of chapter cliffhanger" approach and there is plenty to keep you turning the page - recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Bone-Chilling!, 5 Sept. 2006
Tess Gerritsen is fast becoming one of my favourite crime writers. Not only for her good character development, and not only for the depth of the storyline itself, but mainly due to the bone-chilling suspense she's able to conjure.

In 'The Surgeon' we follow Detectives Thomas Moore and Jane Rizzoli who are on the track of someone who is seemingly copying a previous murderer. The only woman who survived the previous killer is once again a target, but this time is being targeted by the copycat killer. And 'The Surgeon' is torturing and killing his victims exactly as is predecessor did. But what is the link between the two? And what has Dr. Catherine Cordell, the survivor from the first killer, have to do with it?

The story is fascinating, and the suspense is thick. The imagery that Gerritsen is able to muster up in her description of the crime scenes makes you feel as if you can see it yourself...which is chilling, disturbing and intriguing all at the same time. It certainly makes for a great read, so this book is highly recommended to all seeking a thrilling read. But beware...easy sleep after a night of reading this is not guaranteed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily a Cover to Cover Read, 24 April 2003
Wendie Maria (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Surgeon (Paperback)
This book was absolutely brilliant - I am a fan of Patricia Cornwall , but she has not had anything out lately and I was missing that type of novel. Tried some other authors, but came across nothing sensational, then picked up The Surgeon - could not put it down and the last few chapters I actually had to stay up half the night until early hours of the morning to finish it, I honestly could not put it down even though my eyes were begging me to sleep.........
Now, I have to start The Apprentice......

4.0 out of 5 stars chilling to the core, 11 Mar. 2006
RD - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A killer is on the loose in Boston and there are chilling similarities to cases in a different city two years previously. It looks like a killer has come out of hiding but there's just one problem - he was killed by his last victim. She survived and is now a Dr in Boston...As you can expect the cops get her involved and suddenly the case seems to revolve around her with the killer tightening the noose....
I'll leave you to find out the rest.
The only reasons i gave it 4 stars is the use of a lot of technical medical and scientific terms when they arent really necessary. I'm a medical student and even i found reading some bits somewhat tedious as i tried to make sense of it all(maybe that was the problem?!?). Im not sure how others would react to all the jargon....
Secondly, i just have to admit that the beginning of the book didnt hold my attention and i was doing about 4pages at a time. At some point i hit gold...and stayed up till 4am cos i just couldnt get enough! 3hrs of sleep before ward rounds was unbelievably worth it...what a read!
i am now reading my second Gerritsen book (as it turns out The Surgeon is the first book of a series....) and i've only stopped cos i desperately needed to buy something off amazon and felt i had to spread the word!! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Medically Mesmerising, Captivating Crime., 22 Jan. 2012
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have come rather late to the party in terms of Tess Gerritsen and the Rizzoli and Isles books. I wanted to see what I was missing and I can see I was missing something good and also that I was entering a new reading genre for me by these books.

Jane Rizzoli is the only female cop in the Homicide department of the Boston Police Department. (I waited to see where Isles would come in, but I realise now that it is in subsequent books - no matter). She comes across as hard, the only female with something to prove not just to her male colleagues but her family as well. One colleague Thomas Moore is different and he can see that Rizzoli is a good cop although very wary of her, and her partner Barry Frost is the only one who can cope with patience her own personality.

All of the department are brought together when three women are assaulted in rather a gruesome tortuous manner with some sort of message in the mind of the perpetrator. One of them for whatever reason survives - Catherine Cordell who two years later is still suffering when a copycat killer suddenly appears in Boston.

It is up to the homicide department to try and piece together unrelated links and information and see if they can catch the criminal before anymore women die. The perpetrator has one thing in their sights - Catherine Cordell and she is pivotal to the whole investigation.

This is page turner of a book and I was hooked pretty much straight away. This is not a genre I would have chosen and the attention to detail is paramount to making this believable and genuine. That kept me going throughout the book, I did feel lost at points with some of the technical jargon both medical and police procedural but I think that was because these are set in America and I had to skew my brain to accommodate it but actually I think by keeping going all of the loose ends literally tied into place and I could see what a fast paced thriller this was and I cannot wait to devour the next.

If you like a dose of both medicine and crime then I feel this series of books is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Surgeon got me hooked on Gerritsen novels!, 2 Aug. 2011
I actually came across this book at a WH Smith in the Airport this summer, I personally hadn't come across Gerritsen before, but on looking at the brief overview of the book it appeared interesting so I purchased it for a holiday read.

The Surgeon proved to be a hugely sucessful buy, from the first page I was hooked! Gerritsen really does know how to keep you interested, involved in the novel and uses her fantastic writing skills to keep you guessing until the very end. The Surgeon in itself would make for a great film - it's THAT gripping.

I particuarly find the characters, Rizzoli and Isles, very relateable and I like the use of their somewhat opposite personalities, although this book mainly focuses on Jane Rizzoli, Maura Isles still remains interesting, mysterious.

The book itself, I shall reveal nothing about. What I will say is since buying this one book I have now bought the complete Rizzoli and Isles series. There are 9 in total, and I am currently on number 6: The Mephisto Club.
I do suggest that those wanting to read the Rizzoli and Isles series should do so in order as following:

The Surgeon
The Mephisto Club
Keeping the Dead
The Killing Place
The Silent Girl

None of these books (1-6) have disappointed me so far, they each are all unique in their storylines yet each as gripping as the next. The Silent Girl is the latest in the series and I have no doubt in my mind that it will be as brilliant as the rest. For an author to not lose her touch after several books is a skill and a gift. Gerritsen IS THE author to read for those interested in crime, mystery and other tabo subjects relating to crime that other authors of this genre may tend to avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Medical Thriller, 26 Sept. 2003
Veronica (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Surgeon (Paperback)
The Surgeon introduces us to Jane Rizzoli and Thomas Moore, detectives investigating the brutal murder of a woman which links to other murders in the past – and the survivor of one of the attacks, Dr Catherine Cordell, a surgeon.
The characters are strong and interesting. The growing romantic relationship between Thomas Moore and Catherine Cordell may be predictable, but is believable. However the character that really stood out for me was Jane Rizzoli. This is a woman who is BITTER; about her family relationships (her mum and dad are much more interested in her brothers), about her status as the much put upon only female homicide detective for Boston PD, and about Thomas Moore’s attraction to Cordell which she deems as inappropriate and unfair. In many ways Jane and Catherine are polar opposites, Catherine is cold, icy and attractive, whilst Jane is fiery and blunt, and described as intense rather than pretty. I loved her character although she was often rude and belligerent, simply because she was so intriguing. It made a nice change for a woman to take centre stage in fiction who is complex, not classically beautiful, and rather controversial.
Overall The Surgeon accomplishes much. It is a smooth, thoughtful novel and I much admire Tess Gerritsen’s stylish writing. The plot is clever and pacy, and the insights into the murderer are chilling. The only complaint I have is when Catherine Cordell and Thomas Moore fall out for a long time when a simple phone call would have set everything straight, however, I suppose the nature of fiction requires some conflict to drive the plot along so I can forgive that! I’d recommend this to people who like competent thrillers, absorbing characters and are also looking for a bit of romance thrown into the mix as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Cutting' edge fiction, 31 Oct. 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Excuse the pun, I couldn't resist.

I've just started watching the television adaptation `Rizzoli and Isles' on Alibi and wanted to see if the books were as gripping as the series, starting with book one of the set. Though there are some vague similarities, I think this book explored the characters with greater depth and much less humour than the show and it was a really absorbing story. This is also the first time I've read a Tess Gerritsen novel and now I'm looking forward to trying the rest. Her writing is brilliant and had me hooked from the first sentence.

The theme of the novel itself is actually very dark- a serial killer is on the loose in Boston, one who takes pleasure in torturing women and then finishing them off in a very gruesome way. Homicide Detectives Thomas Moore and Jane Rizzoli begin work on the case and realise it mirrors a very similar attack on a woman in Savannah, Georgia, two years previously, only in that case the woman survived, shooting her attacker dead. The similarities in the two cases cannot merely be coincidence, can they?

With excellent character development and a fast-paced plot, I would recommend this if you like quick moving thrillers that lean just a little bit towards the dark side. I would caution however that this book is certainly not for the feint-hearted. It is not shy in holding back on particularly grim details of both sexual assaults and aspects of surgery, which did leave me feeling a bit queasy in places. However, it does make the story all the more believable and really pulled me into the plot. Because I have also been to Boston before it was all too easy to imagine someone sinister lurking in the city- and I was of course envisioning settings from the TV show as well.

Though this is indeed different from the TV show (Rizzoli isn't the most likeable of characters here and Isles has yet to make an appearance), I certainly wasn't disappointed in any way and Rizzoli really intrigues me- so I will be curious to read `the book' version of Isles. I think this is definitely a book you can read in one setting and then hurry onto the rest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could.not.put.this.down!, 8 April 2011
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
One of my favourite things about reading is when I discover a new author and realise that they have written a ton of books that I now have sprawling in front of me! Good times! Being a massive crime fiction fan I am honestly unsure what has kept me from Tess Gerritsen until now. She is BRILLIANT!!! Rarely do I read a book and then have to move straight on to the next in the series (which is exactly what I have done) because I just can't get enough.

The Surgeon is the name that has been given to a serial killer on the loose in Boston one stiflingly hot summer. He is targeting young women and his calling card is surgery so precise that the investigatig team can only assume that he is a trained professional. The thing that puzzles Detectives Jane Rizzoli and Thomas Moore the most though is that the attacks are identical to ones that took place in Georgia two years ago but ended when one of the intended victims, Dr Catherine Cordell shot the perpetrator dead. Either he has come back to life or there is a copycat at work who knows details of the case that nobody else could know. And even worse, the new attacks are taking place in Boston which is exactly where Catherine Cordell moved to to start a new life...

What I enjoyed about this book as well as the fact that it was so gripping was the fact that there is a lot of forensic science involved - I love being privvy to what the postmortem tells us about the victims last hours, or the fibres and hairs that can tell us more about a perpetrator that you would ever imagine. I found it really interesting as well as being a gripping read.

The Surgeon
The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01