4.0 out of 5 stars Give It A Try
Published on 9 April 2007 by C. Knowles

2.0 out of 5 stars Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle
I wanted to give this book a one star review but as I didn't finish it I thought it was unfair to do so.

I wanted to enjoy this book, I know nothing about Boudica and wanted to learn about her, and I enjoy epic tales of fantasy and historical fiction. So, I'm not sure what went wrong with this book.

I found that she spent too long describing things...
Published on 18 Jun. 2013 by Jaycey

4.0 out of 5 stars Give It A Try, 9 April 2007
C. Knowles (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1 (Paperback)
I would normally run a mile from this type of book, it's about as far from my tastes in fiction as could be imagined. I bought it purely out of curiosity as I had enjoyed Scott's crime novels and thought I'd give this a go, though I feared I would find it a slog, full of (to me) not very interesting historical detail. But I have to say I found it, on the whole, a revelation. It did take quite a while to get going and for a time I feared the worst, but then suddenly, without me even realising when, it had me hooked. I think this is partly due to Scott's exquisite writing: her descriptive powers are thrilling and beautiful. Even the battle scenes, which in books of any genre I would usually find boring and tedious beyond measure, had me enthralled. I couldn't say that every page had me gripped right to the end - as the book went on there were an increasing number of scenes where I was desperate to get away from Ban and back to Breaca, but I do realise that these scenes are necessary to present a full picture, so I don't make this a criticism. So on the whole I was mightily impressed, and yes, I've just bought 'Bull'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good mix of fact and fiction, 8 Oct. 2003
PV WEBB-LLANO (Un lugar en Espana) - See all my reviews
I first heard about this book when the author, Manda Scott, was interviewed on Radio 5live with Simon Mayo's book review. The 'hard to please' panel all reviewed it as a 'remarkable piece of work' and I would stand by that. Dreaming The Eagle is a mixture of fact and fiction as it has to be, and the author gets the mix just right.
This book is the first in a trilogy that will be well worth reading. Whether Hollywood will be able to do it justice...I doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover the original traditions of English tribes before the decimation ..., 10 Dec. 2014
Miss L. Milward (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1 (Paperback)
Discover the original traditions of English tribes before the decimation of our true heritage by the Romans who almost eradicated our vibrant, honourable history. An eloquent, enchanting read rich with insights into our noble history. Our once natural, spiritual roots , where our forebears excelled in their skills of metal-work, unmatched skills in horsemanship & canines, arts & thriving in balance with nature with an advanced spiritual consciousness. We have lost much, but thanks to Manda Scott, we can gain a valuable glimpse into our noble past which deserves to be read by all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most uniquely special fiction works. Ever., 9 May 2009
This review is from: Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1 (Paperback)
Unfamiliar with Scott's previous work, I went into this story expecting nothing and came out transformed. Honestly, it's historical fiction at its best, but more than this, it's one of a kind. Not only is Scott a gifted author, describing life in Celtic Britain so richly you feel as if you're actually there, feeling what the characters feel, but she writes from her soul. She also did her homework on the subject, so can not only describe Celtic and Roman buildings, practices etc. but can also fill in the blanks in the pages of history, coming up with plausible theories to make a whole story.
Now, some may say it's 'airy fairy' etc. but it's really not (and I feel a lot who would describe it this way prefer Roman fiction simply because our society is similar - urbanised and pragmatic and, in my view, less honourable). It doesn't take the path of romance and magic, it takes the path of dealing with adversity and holding onto hope - fundamental human traits. You have to remember also that this was a society living 2, 000 years ago, supplanted by other civilisations, so their culture is unfamiliar to us, yet that doesn't make it any less important than Roman and others. And more than that, these people are our ancestors who deserve our respect. So why not enjoy a story about them when books such as these are few and far between?
It will definitely appeal to those who love Celtic culture or simply those who are interested in tribal societies. It will also appeal to those who are modern day pagans. And those who want to read something epic, but off the beaten track. Believe me, it's up there with Lord of the Rings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great historical fiction. A must for all lovers of the genre, 16 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1 (Paperback)
Dreaming the Eagle gives a fantastic account that is heavily felt of the oppression Britain was subjected to under the Roman Empire. I think it is easy to just look at what the Romans did for Britain on terms of road networks and trade, and then forget the brutality they subjected native Britons to, particularly in the early years under Suetonius Paulinus.
This book does not leave that aspect of Roman rule untouched and actually highlights the situation. If historical fiction is your thing I would also recommend Ascent of an Eagle by Gaius Demetrius. This book is wonderfully crafted and compels the reader into the realities of a very grim political situation, set against deep personal struggles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faction? A really good read, 31 Jan. 2007
Stan (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1 (Paperback)
I got this for Christmas and, having finished it, am out to get the next one. It is really well written, building a world which, although based on limited historical evidence, is totally believable. Did the British tribes have dreamers who could see visions and conjure up mists? Were women equal to men as warriors? Did they have such great affinity to horses and dogs? Were the inhabitants of Mona blood-lusting druids or mystics? We will never know but Scott makes it real.

The closest parallel I can think of is Jean Auel's Earth Children, also extrapolated from scant archaeological evidence but, in my opinion, not as well drawn.

Lets hope the continuations keep up the same standard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Story, 17 Aug. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1 (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book but I would not call it historical fiction, rather, as another reader wrote, fictional history. It can't be any other way, as the scattering of facts an author has to work with need a lot of fleshing-out before a novel can be made of them.
With that in mind, it is a fantastically colourful read. The entire island is lit up and brought to life in a way that historical documentation could never have done, which is why I read this book.
Manda Scott's veterinary background shows, subtly, and the animals in the story have a depth of character and a prominence that I haven't experienced before, which I really enjoyed.
The British culture at the time as protrayed in the book is staggeringly contemporary and idealistic. I would question this: again, it's fiction, but it does excessively villify the Romans with the contrast... if so many people were migrating into Rome rather than out, could it have been that bad?

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and beautifully imagined "history", 31 Mar. 2007
Mark Shackelford "mark shackelford" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1 (Paperback)
This delightful series of books (I have only read the first but have already purchased the second in anticipation) retells the story of Boudicca (or Boadicea as she was known when I were a lad ... no NOT that long ago!). The book presents a powerful vision of the peoples of that time and their ideas, feelings and lives.

It is on a par with Marion Bradley's "Mists of Avalon" - another book with strong (and believable) female lead characters, as well as Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars What sets this particular series apart from others is how beautifully our ancestor's way of life is portrayed, 3 Sept. 2014
Mr. Francis S. Beadle "Fateh" (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1 (Paperback)
This series of books is one of the most enjoyable historical novels I have ever read. What sets this particular series apart from others is how beautifully our ancestor's way of life is portrayed. it feels natural and authentic and at times mystical. I have no idea how accurate it is but it feels very real. The characterisation is brilliant. The storyline is great and has plenty of excitement. Yet the great achievement of the book is that you enjoy soaking up the atmosphere of life of ancient Britain as much if not more than anything else. It's captivating and sensitively done. Not afraid to be painful or cruel. Neither shy of its own beauty or love.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extrordinary charity shop find!, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1 (Paperback)
I pounced on this in a charity shop and have now sadly come to the end of the fourth and final book (bought on Amazon) in this series. I am a fast reader and tried to read as slowly as possible to postpone the ending!!!!
A great fan of Rosemary Sutcliffe's novels since a teenager, I would say Manda Scott has out-Sutcliffed Miss Sutcliffe in creating a detailed and totally believable 1st century Britain (praise indeed from me!) . Not only that, her writing is wonderful, poetic in parts with characters portrayed in depth and with great attention to detail .

Thank goodness I have discovered her! (books)

Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1
Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1 by Manda Scott (Paperback - 2 Feb. 2004)