5.0 out of 5 stars The Science of Shamanism
At last! The mystery and mumbo-jumbo of "shamanism" is explained in terms of user-friendly Science. A must-read for anyone who has ever wondered just what shamanism is really about - and how we in the 21st century West can partake of its simple elegance without ingesting strange substances or travelling to obscure corners of the planet.
...Cerridwen...
Published on 3 Aug. 2001 by Cerridwen Connelly (themerlinp...

1.0 out of 5 stars another popular book
Published on 20 Dec. 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars The Science of Shamanism, 3 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Journey To You : A Shaman's Path To Empowerment (Paperback)
...Cerridwen Connelly, author of "The Cosmic Computer".

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS WONDERFUL BOOK CONTINUES TO INSPIRE, 15 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
Ross Heaven has written a masterpiece with this book. You are led out of the 'normal' world (which the author shows as not so normal after all) which is so tedious and unhealthy into a world of colour where anything may be possible. The author's style is so warm and enthusiastic that you just want to go along with him as he takes you on this journey, and the scientific and other evidence he offers is so compelling that you want to believe it is all possible too.
The stories and examples he offers are quite remarkable. You will laugh with recognition at some of them; others will amaze you.
Ross has just published a new book called Spirit In The City, which I am also reading and which is every bit as good but this first book will always be my favourite, I think, if for no other reason than that this was the first time I had ever come across such remarkable thinking.
A superb book which is a must-read for all serious spiritual seekers and for those who want to know what's wrong with the world today - and how to put it right!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely inspirational., 16 Jun. 2001
I picked this book up, because I wanted to find out what shamanism was about. But 'WOW' did I get a whole lot more! Ross Heaven writes in a very intelligent, modest, yet powerful way. The Journey to You brought together so much that I 'already knew' and taught me a lot more. For me, the explainations in the first few chapters are slowed by the feeling the author is so keen to prove that science upholds what he is telling us. However, this is not a crtisism, the chapters are well written and essential to the purpose of the book, and after the first few chapters, the book practically read itself to me. I haven't tried to do all the 'exercises' in it yet, but those I have used have been fascinating and extremely useful. I found reading this book was a real experience, not just what Ross Heaven has writen, but from the way he has written it. He has opened my mind and helped me to grow. I recommend this book to everyone.
Thank you Ross Heaven.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent first book by Ross Heaven, 12 Feb. 2002
A key theme throughout the book, which makes a welcome change from many 'self help manuals', is that only we know our own truth and our path is unique to us. The whole point of shamanism is to help us find our true self.
Techniques used by the indigenous peoples of Haiti, Ecuador, the Mayan . . . and many other traditions, can be readily applied to our modern urban societies to help us overcome our blocks - or 'misplaced energy' as the shaman would describe it. The book not only describes a number of techniques, such as the medicine wheel and life wheel, but includes easy to follow 'Explorations' on how to use them.
This book WILL help you on your journey . .. even if YOU don?t know where that journey is taking you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just to say!, 24 Aug. 2007
:) "Knows" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Superb, arguements are well dealt with, and facts are woven together with spiritual things very well. Has you seriously pondering life and reality very seriously. Well written and presented, an important book.

1.0 out of 5 stars another popular book, 20 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
It is a book on shamanism, an ancient spiritual teaching. The function of the shamanic practitioner is individual empowering, as personal power is perceived here as a substance of wellbeing. A regular shamanic course would start with an explanation of the model of creation, establishing connections with the latest discoveries of science, teach shamanic journeying to various planes for personal empowering, as well as explain ones states and emotions and give a variety of techniques and exercises to work through personal blocks.

This book starts with the author’s countless thanks to every being in shamanic field followed by a chapter long description of his favourite charity.
Following material, including an often used holographic model of the world, comes to the reader in a great number of rather short chapters with author’s enthusiastic presentation of somebody else’s point of view. I have been sincerely following the line, hoping for some revelation or a radical solution to a popular problem only to realise that I was on a wild goose chase. For example: an incident is described, when some open-minded psychiatrist undresses in front of amazed hospital staff to meet the nude and solitary patient on her level. I thought that this unconventional treatment was mentioned in order to report some radical break-through in psychiatry. Unfortunately this was not the case: the sufferer did not recover in response to the session, thus the story misfired. Being disappointed few times in a similar way, I have lost my confidence in the value of the book and looked through the pages more in a spirit of inquiry: is it worth reading it at all?

Despite its use of spectacular props, including scripts of Hollywood-like shamanic journeys, I stayed unmoved, but could not help thinking: “this will appeal to a lot of people”. Neither did exercises strike original, nor did the book offer me any abyss-deep insights I was repeatedly getting from my original shamanic study. I did not encounter any “wow” moments either, although the author seemed to use enormous amount of often stunning information discovered by other people, although this is a very useful popularisation technique, as the names of accepted authorities always sound comforting. Yet, what is offered by Mr Heaven of himself, apart from his studious research? Definitely, the flavour of author’s friendliness follows the reader all through the book.

Still, the point comes when even his friendliness does not pass the test of authenticity.
I could not understand to which purpose the author made public the deep secret his friend shared with him once in the sauna. The name of the friend as well as his key position in the field is mentioned, the secret being his fear of rituals. I did not perceive this brave announcement by the author as in any way empowering to his unfortunate friend.

Although furnished with descriptions of shamanic journeys and exercises, the book’s notion to enthuse the reader with the possibilities of this teaching does not strike deep, as the vast, poorly structured information, depleted of presence of a real authority, after a while turns into superficial chatter. Thus the book does not convey the underlying spiritual power of shamanic ethos as the author is not perceived as an enlightened master, but as another bewildered individual, struggling in pursuit of solutions to it all.

This book, however, has its place in a popularisation of the subject and is a case of an excellent market research by the author. For both of those points I am very happy to give it a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING!!!!!!!, 22 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
This book is to new age and shamanic titles what THE MATRIX and FIGHT CLUB were to film!!!
I always thought such things were true but it took Ross Heaven's book to put my thoughts and feelings into words!
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this a few yrs ago & agree with scathing Dec 05 reader BUT..., 9 Aug. 2006
RaRa (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Whilst reading this book the most freakish paranormal things kept happening to me...in my normal everyday life. I will not go into detail but let's just say it scared the daylights out of me as I wasn't really disposed to seeing appiritions and the like. So, 'tho I didn't really like the book the paranormal occurences directly related to it completely converted me into a believer of parallel existences.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 29 Feb. 2004
White Eagle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book is one of my favourite books of all time. If you are intersted in shamanism, read this! It is one of the best books I have read on shamanism & is full of fascinating facts & stories. My respects to the author.

Journey To You : A Shaman's Path To Empowerment
Journey To You : A Shaman's Path To Empowerment by Ross Heaven (Paperback - 1 Jan. 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01