5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!
Published on 13 Mar 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable light read
Good light reading, Scanlan is always a good read, nothing deep but enjoyable.
Not much more to say about it really
Published 6 months ago by Hafren

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!, 13 Mar 2002
This review is from: Promises, Promises (Paperback)
This is a two part story so it's really a must to read Mirror,Mirror also. I had not heard of Patricia Scanlan before and really bought the set of two books because they were on special offer but this author should be at the top of the bestseller lists because I was really pleasantly surprised at the quality of her writing. It's a family story where a girl falls for a rotter and, for a time, things seem to go his way and he comes up smelling of roses every time. In the second book his run of luck runs out and everything seems to go wrong for him at the same time. This is a wonderfully healing read if you have gone through a bad relationship and/or divorce and many things said and done in the book were uncannily similar to my own experience! The charaters are so lifelike, for example, the mother-in-law who is a big noise at the Townswomen's Guild who wonders how she will show her face there again after all the scandal that has befallen her family. It is such a heart-warming story with a few comic episodes,it really does make you look back at your own divorce/split and makes it easier to get through, the revenge episodes made me think YES! This story is so life-like and so enjoyable, I couldn't put it down, it's perfect holiday reading. Patricia Scanlan's writing is so clever because she does different scenes from different characters' point of view, for example one moment she would have me thinking, poor Ellen, Chris is such a rotter then in the following interlude she would write from Chris' point of view and describe his confusion about his feelings so next thing I would feel sympathy for Chris and be able to understand why he had been acting as he had. One of my all time great reads, a brilliant saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, fantastic writer, 27 Oct 2000
This review is from: Promises, Promises (Paperback)
I read almost all of Patricia's books, apart from Finishing Touches. When I read Mirror Mirror I didn't know there was a first part. Promises, Promises is even better. I already knew the characters in the book and I thought it would be boring to read all about them again. How could I be so wrong. This is one of her best, you can't stop reading. Very addictive. I just finished the book this morning and I'm going to buy Finishing Touches tomorrow morning. I love all of Patricia's books because she writes about "real life" people. You can recognise yourself or friends in the characters she describes. You'd wish the book would never end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 April 2003
This review is from: Promises, Promises (Paperback)
This book is fantastic! This is the best Scanlan book I have read, although I hvaen't read them all, I've got that to look forward to! I would recommend this book to any one who has read a Scanlan book or one of that genre.
It follows the story of Ellen and her family in Glenree and we follow her journey of her romance with Chris. Fantastic narration which makes you consider other character's view not just Ellen's. It is indeed perfect for all those who have loved a rotter ,as the blurb on the back of book says.
It is perfect for all romantics and I actually found myself sympathising with Chris and wanting them to get back together, but I have not read Mirror Mirror yet so I don't know how the story ends, I will scout round tomorrow for it, I cannot wait to read it!
All in all an excellent read, I thoroughly enjoyed it, I could not put it down and when I did I couldn't wait to get back to it, so I recommend it to anybody!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 18 Dec 2001
This review is from: Promises, Promises (Paperback)
I have already read City Girls when i decided to order Promises, Promises and it was absolutly brilliant, definately worth reading. I think that Maeve Binchy has got touch competition with Patricia Scanlan writing such good books!

5.0 out of 5 stars A curl up and can't put down book, 29 July 2000
This review is from: Promises, Promises (Paperback)
This book is really hard to put down when you start to read it.You get a real feel for the characters and the small irish village they live in.It's the emotions and lives of all four women and how a familys love and friendship survive.I'm so pleased that there is a sequel to this and can't wait to see how ellen's life is turning out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 25 Feb 2004
R. Hausler - See all my reviews
This review is from: Promises, Promises (Paperback)
A warming story filled with romance and heart break, it definitely kept me awake on the train into work! a must read

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good read!, 14 Sep 2000
This review is from: Promises, Promises (Paperback)
The sort of book that is difficult to put down once you have started. I really felt I could identify in part with all of the characters in the plot, which made it all the more interesting. Keep it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book, 3 July 2000
This review is from: Promises, Promises (Paperback)
Absolutely stunning book. I loved it. This is more about the way the story is told than the story itself, which is also excellent. I never wanted it to end, which is why I read Mirror Mirror straight afterwards. I'm sure I will enjoy reading this book over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 15 July 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Promises, Promises (Hardcover)
I loved the city girls books and went on to read this. And it certainly lived up to their fantastic storylines. I couldn't put it down! As soon as I'd finished it i went straight out and bought the sequel Mirror Mirror! If you buy this book you must buy Mirror Mirror and what a fantastic ending! Patricia Scanlan is a wonderful author!

4.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want to enjoy this as much as I did!!, 2 Sep 2005
This review is from: Promises, Promises (Paperback)
I've only just discovered PS. Before I had children I used to read 'worthier' books, but I enjoyed this so much I went out and PAID for Mirror Mirror (half way through it already). It's rare for me to be able to face another book by the same author straight away.
Patricia is like an edgier Maeve Binchy. Obviously because the book was set in 1961, story lines like a character getting pregnant without being married can be milked for maximum emotional effect. I cried for Ellen. You really felt her pain, and I was so cross with her Mother for caring more about gossip than whether or not her daughter was miserable.
The only thing that annoyed me was the references to 'creme de societé etc.. She managed to make the characters who were supposed to be middle class sound very lower class but with money. Like Gillian and Frank. But that's a minor thing. Pamela did seem like a lady, in that she never said anything nasty about Ellen.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Promises, Promises
Promises, Promises by Patricia Scanlan (Paperback - 2 Sep 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01