on 4 February 2009
While female narrators have generally dominated Kelley Armstrong's addictive Women of the Otherworld series, long time readers have often wished/clamored/begged for an opportunity to hear tales told from the perspective of the Otherworld's strong cast of leading men. Never one to deny her readers, Armstrong obliged, offering up a series of free online novellas narrated by some of her most intriguing male characters.

'Men of the Otherworld' is a beautifully bound collection of these stories. Two novellas, 'Savage' and 'Ascension' chronicle Jeremy Danvers' perilous rise to the Alpha throne seen through the eyes of his adopted son, Clayton. Clay, a misanthrope whose wit, and delightful moral ambiguity have made him a popular fan favorite since his first appearance in 'Bitten', provides readers with a unique insider's look at Pack life. It's interesting to hear his narrative voice change as he matures from a feral bitten child into an intelligent young man eager to embrace his role as Jeremy's best and most feared enforcer.

Two short stories bookend the novellas. 'Infusion' teases readers with its hints at Jeremy's true parentage, while 'Kitsunegari' actually reveals who, or more appropriately what, Jeremy's mother was before she met her violent and untimely end.

These stories are a real treat, and since all the proceeds from the sale of this book benefit the World Literacy of Canada, it is truly a guiltless pleasure.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is top-notch fantasy fiction, based around the development of a young, male, feral werewolf. This book is an offshoot of the Bitten series, but you don't need to have read any of the others to dive in and enjoy it.
If you are a fan of Kelley Armstrong then this collection of short stories should really hit the right note: it's the back story for one of her most charistmatic characters, Clay, the aggressive warrior wolf who protects the north American pack. It also explains the 'secret origin' of the pack Alpha, Jeremy, and just why he is so unusual as a werewolf.

Armstrong's writing is really mature and well paced these days. The stories in this book flew past; I was racing through the pages and feeling thoroughly entertained. Unlike some of the witchy books (which have gotten a little girly at times for my tastes) this is a warts n all view of life as a young wolf -- yes, he'd love a kitten, but not really as a pet... more as a snack!
There's violence, drama, tension and a satifying pay-off. The story isn't weighed down by tiresome adolescent sex scenes or unecessary foul language. Instead you are given a window into a carefully crafted world in which werewolves might really run at night, and if they did, how their day to day life might be different to ours.
Loved it. Would be happy to let a pre-teen daughter read it.
Delighted to see it published in print, too. The Net is great, but some stories work better on paper than they do on screen.
9/10
on 16 March 2010
I was unsure as to whether to buy this book as I wasn't sure I'd like to hear things from the guys point of view. I found this book absolutely riveting and had finished it by the evening after it had be delivered in the morning. It's a set of stories which are very much related to the books and to bits which have been mentioned in the Eleana centric books of the Women of the Underworld series. The first three stories in this book are set well before 'Bitten' but the last story is set almost in the present.

I would now love to hear more from the mens side even having a full novel from say Clays point of view. I seriously recommend this book if you like the Women of the Underworld series. Your missing out on lots of information about the pack before Eleana and why its the way it is now if you don't read it!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'd read all the online fiction but was so happy to be able to have it all in one place and finally in paperback. It's a must have for fan's collections of Armstrong.

I love Clay and Jeremy and learning more about them pre-Bitten. However, I was a little disappointed in the new Jeremy story that was included. It was great reading something new (and giving more incentive to buy the book) but it wasn't her best work. The other stories are amazing, however.

I am looking forward to her next collection that will include all the online stories that didn't make it in this one. If you are trying her for the first time this would be a good place to start as it includes the prequels to her first full length novel, Bitten. You'll enjoy her if you like Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs.
on 23 May 2010
this book is wonderful its very short but it gives you the back story explaining Jeremy's dad Malcolm and Clay's beginnings from being bitten as a child to his teens and his respect and love of Jeremy.
The last story is a story that follows Jeremy after No Humans Involved that explains his own origins and why he is the way he is.
on 5 November 2009
This is a brilliant addition to the Women of the Otherworld series. It gives a great insight into some of the male characters including some who usually appear on the fringes of the the other books. I think it can be read at any point without giving the plot away and is split into stories which slot effortlessly into the reader's understanding of the bigger picture. It's fantastic to get to look back and see how certain characters have developed the way they have and parts of the narrative take place before the other books are set like in flashbacks.
A superb read and a must have for any Kelley Armstrong fans, highly recommended!
on 9 January 2011
I have been a MASSIVE fan of KA for about three yeas now, and discovered my love for her finding a dog eared copy of Bitten in my school library. It is a toss up between this and Tales of the Otherworld (specifically the tale of Clay and Elena) but this book just tops it. Clayton has always been my favourite character, and I absolutely love the way every snippet of past memories that the men have mentioned in the Women of the Otherworld series has been brought to life in great detail. As many have mentioned, I would advise to read all of the Otherworld books if you are not sure of the characters, though as a stand alone story there is no background needed at all, which is a must have for new readers! My favourite book- the short stories originally made weave together so brilliantly well that anyone would assume the tales had been written in tow as a sequence originally. I can't stress how fantastic this book is, and I definitely advise readers to indulge themselves- I am obessed and read this book more than four times a year, as I do all of the Otherworld books. PRAISE FOR THE GODDAMNED AMAZING WRITER THAT IS KELLEY ARMSTRONG!
VINE VOICEon 6 June 2009
I'm so pleased Armstrong had these 'short stories' published. They honestly don't feel like short stories but one novel and the chapters within. Clay is my favourite character and i've missed him as the other characters in Armstrong's series have moved to the foreground. The dynamic between him and his gaurdian Jeremy (whom i also adore) is powerful and portrayed realistically in these stories. The character background given really fills in gaps and small mysteries the novels Bitten, Broken and Stolen left us with; the reasoning behind the complete lack of feeling Jeremy has toward his father, why Jeremy is different to other werewolves, how Clay was found, the dynamic between and the divides within the younger members of the pack. It's all given flesh here and it's such a wonderful feeling to have the guys finally giving their own point of view!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love Kelly Armstrongs books. I fell into her with 'Industrial Magic', and loved it so much i ordered the whole series, and now feel part of the otherworld.

This book was well worth my wait. I'd read the other online short novella Kelly does, but had missed these, being a late comer. If you are curious about Jeremy, this book gives you loads of background on him, and shapes him as a person not just the Alpha. Of course Clays story is just as gripping, and who doesnt love Clay. This book gives all the background that you wondered about whilst reading the series.

Leave the housework, forget the gardening, and grab a cuppa and some dunkers and settle down to read.
on 19 April 2009
Although an ardent Armstrong fan I have to admit I wasn't sure about this collection initially so instead of staging my usual all night reading session I left this offering for over a fortnight.
What a waste of a fortnight! As soon as I took the plunge I was totally hooked and yes you guessed it stayed up all night to finish it.
Although presented as a series of short stories the text reads as chapters in a novel as opposed to totally distinct and separate stories.
Totally absorbing and thoroughly enthralling. I'm now re-reading the underworld series. I can't wait until the next Elena/Clayton adventure !