4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not her best.
I've been a fan of Kelley Armstrong's books for years but I'm sad to say that this book is not her best. It's a good book and I passed an enjoyable evening curled up on the sofa reading this but it doesn't come up to the extremely high standards which she has set in so many of her previous books.

In 'Living with the Dead' Hope Adams (and her boyfriend Karl...
Published on 8 Nov 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near the usual standard
With the exception of Haunted, I have rated every Kelley Armstrong book 5 stars. It always saddens me when I can't do that, and unfortuanately this is the case with Living with the dead.

Published on 1 Dec 2008 by A. Christie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near the usual standard, 1 Dec 2008

LWTD carries on from Hope's story Personal Demon, don't let the dust jacket fool you into thinking this is Robyn's book, she hardly gets any page time. It supposedly attempts to answer the question, what happens when a human gets thrown into the dark side of the Otherworld?

This is the first time Armstrong uses the third person narrative and we have five different view points to contend with. This means that we are really actually dealing with five different stories as whilst the plots do relate to each other, the different characters all have very separate issues to contend with. This gave the plot a very disjointed feel and it was easy to miss clues relating to the story outlined on the jacket.

This also means that none of the characters are especially developed. The chapters are tiny (usually 2-3 pages) which means that we are jumping around all over the place. It was the first time when reading Armstrong that I had no concept of time passing. I also couldn't remember what had happened to each character by the next instalment of their narrative. This made for a confusing, frustrating read. I couldn't get gripped on the story line, which was sad.

It doesn't help that none of the characters are particularly redeeming either. I'm sure this is because they don't get developed properly, but for example Robyn bored me to tears and seemed to be there just as a plot device, her acceptance of her situation seemed to me unrealistic. This is a shame when you consider that their individual situations are actually interesting. A character like Finn could have a fascinating book as he becomes aware of his own place in the Otherworld. Sadly such things are passed by. Theoretically established characters like Hope were also disappointing, she bore no resemblance to her sparky character in Personal Demon and is so bogged down in relationship issues she is somewhat emotionally unstable, her grasp over her demon also appears to have slipped leaving her irrational at times.

After reading LWTD, I am left confused and unsure what I gained from the book, if anything. Not something Armstrong intended I'm sure. Dedicated fans will gain something from this book as I have done (Karl was real high point) but newcomers will be overwhelmed. Start with Bitten, and hope that in Frostbitten, the next instalment we see a return to form.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not her best., 8 Nov 2008

In 'Living with the Dead' Hope Adams (and her boyfriend Karl Marsten) is in L.A. temporarily on assignment for work, but she also there to check up on her friend Robyn Peltier who's husband was killed a few months previously. When one of Robyn's clients is murdered and Robyn becomes the prime suspect after fleeing the scene of the murder, Hope and Karl try to clear her name. Also trying to find Robyn is homicide detective John Findlay (Finn) who happens to be a necromancer. Finn is being helped track Robyn down and solve the murder by the ghost of Robyn's dead husband Damon. (I love this idea - a necromancer solving crimes with the help of a ghost sidekick!)

Robyn, Finn and Damon are interesting characters and good additions to this series, but with so many other characters center stage you never get to know any of them very well. This leads on to my first problem with this book, which is the number of point of views that are used to tell the story (Hope, Robyn, Finn, Adele, Colm). I felt that this made the story a bit too disjointed hopping from one person to another every other chapter. In her earlier books the story is told far more from one or two characters perspectives and you get to know the characters in far more depth. I've not been able to warm to Hope as much as to previous characters and I think it's partially because of the constant switching perspectives that have been used in the books which feature her.

My other problem with this book is the villain of the piece, yes she comes across as ruthless and manipulative and generally nasty but not terribly scary all things considered, and not really big and bad enough to be the major villain in a supernatural story. Maybe this was a conscious decision - that because the main character Robyn is human the supernatural baddies actions have to be scaled down more appropriately to something potentially just an everyday human criminal.

Despite the faults i've mentioned this is a good book and if you're a fan of the series already like me then you will probably enjoy it too. If you haven't read anything by Kelley Armstrong before I'd recommend that you start with Bitten and work your way through the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just too many points of view., 1 Oct 2009
Gina Robbo (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
I'm glad I read this book, but I equally glad that I waited for the paperback and not splashed out on the hardback. I agree with other reviewers that there is just too many points of view. Who is suppossed to be the hero here? Why not just write the book in the third person, rather than from 4 points of view?
The reason I'm glad I read the book is that I think it is the start of a larger story line. Its not a bad book, but not on par with the rest of the OtherWorld series.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Change is as Good as a Rest? (No Spoilers!), 21 Mar 2010
C. Frost "Charlie Frost" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
When I found out that this book would again be featuring Hope I was disappointed, as I found Personal Demon to be the worst book of the series so far. I feel her powers are pretty boring and am not really interested in the character at all. However, this book alternates the perspective to a different character for each chapter; something which has been criticised by other reviewers for preventing real character development. My view though was that it was a good way of making a more interesting story from characters who wouldn't have carried a book by themselves.

Whilst this is not a glowing endorsement so far - and I cetainly felt the book was nowhere near as good as any of the werewolf novels - I can empathise that Armstrong probably can't keep the series going with those books alone. This new format provided a better plot than some of the others that have gone before, but I did feel it dragged a bit for the middle section of the story. If you are a fan though, it is definitely worth reading this book, and I'm sure you will enjoy it even if its not one of her best.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent read, but heading nowhere once again, 19 Jan 2009
I still have faith in Kelley Armstrong and her Otherworld series but, after the weak No Humans Allowed and the anemic Personal Demon, this book has me up to two-and-a-half strikes now...

The somewhat perplexing trend of depowering heroines has been followed to it's natural conclusion at this point ; from barely-powered Jaime, to anti-powered Hope, to completely powerless Robyn.
I'm all for more men of the Otherworld action in books, but for a series called "Women Of The Otherworld" I just don't get what is going on here ?
I became enamored with the series back when Elena was damsel, investigator & (gory) heroine all rolled into one ; if I were just looking for 300 pages of damsel in distress followed by a shoot-out or Muscular Older Man Saves The Day! (TM) then there are whole other genres of the stuff to read from.

I don't want to keep harping on about how little Hope brings to the table, but honestly I don't know what Mrs. Armstrong is thinking with her.
She features prominently in this novel also, and is cast even more solidly as an action hero... but EVERY time she is near violence or villainy, she is paralyzed by indecision and crazy mojo juice.
Hope manages to sustain her 100% record of losing EVERY single brawl she engages in too, to further deepen the mystery of what exactly the point of her is.
Is she intended to be ironic ? A parody of post-Buffy heroines ?
Pah.

In summary :
Well written, interestingly - and originally - paced, yarn.
As ever, Kelley Armstrong writes a despicable & compelling villain to loathe.
As previously, let down by making the main character too weak by half then marginalizing her to supporting cast halfway through - only this time the substitute is no better equipped for stardom either.

Readable of course, but - for the first time - eminently missable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Living With The Dead, 10 Nov 2008
I agree with the first review. A good read but certainly not the best in the series. I'm not a fan of Hope as a main character and would have preferred Karl to have a larger role than he did. In saying that, I did like her character better in this book than I did in the last. She doesn't come across as quite as helpless as previous.
If you are looking for a quick and easy read then I do recommend this. It's entertaining but as I've already mentioned certainly not the best. Won't stop me from looking forward to future publications from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving Living with the Dead!, 14 Aug 2014
Living with the Dead is about Robyn, who's a human thrust into the supernatural world. Personally, I loved this book as it had an interesting plot, great characters and some humour.
Kelley Armstrong keeps up the good work continuing the stories of characters old and new. She keeps you reading on by feeding you major details little by little, thus keeping you in suspense until the big reveal at the end.
Although, not the best book in the series, I thought it was much better than Personal Demon (book 8) and has rekindled my love for the Otherworld. Definitely another great instalment in this series!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointing, 22 April 2009
I was so looking forward to reading this, I have really enjoyed all of Kelley's books. But this one I found hard to get into, the plot not that interesting and the charactor boring. I think it is time to get back to the werewolves and witches! Or maybe some vampires? I am glad I read it to keep up with the series. But if you haven't read them all, I wouldn't recommend. Sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars living with the dead, 15 April 2014
I had been enjoying these books, but I feel this one like the last one had lost some of the intrigue, the characters are bland and feel you don't get to know them like the earlier characters, the story was good but not gripping, I did finish the book and enjoyed it but felt let down a little as KA books are usually full of excitement and loveable characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 2 Jun 2013
After reading bad reviews on this book, I started reading it, expecting to be confused and disappointed with it.
Well, I was gripped, I did not find it confusing, in fact this is one of the authors best stories.
I enjoyed the introduction of new people into the series and found it thoroughly spellbinding, I especially love the way Kelly keeps in touch with all the favourite characters, just a mention of of them all but enough to let you know they are all linked.
Loved this book, loved the new characters, and thought the way it jumps from character narration to character narration was brilliant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Living with the Dead (Women of the Otherworld)
Living with the Dead (Women of the Otherworld) by Kelley Armstrong (Hardcover - 28 Oct 2008)
Used & New from: 1.25