Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 October 2011
Being an avid fan of the Jamie and Claire "Outlander" saga by Diana Gabaldon, I was thrilled to find Sara Donati's books about(The Last of the Mohicans) Hawkeye's son, Nathaniel Bonner, and his family. The historical background of the late 18th century in the United States was well researched, the characters fascinating - especially the American Indians - and the story skilfully draws the reader into every book.

This last book was equally interesting, and I was sorry to come to the end, knowing that it is the last one in the saga. I must admit I did not think it was quite as good as the first four volumes, but it must have been quite difficult to wind up the story in a believable way.

I shall be re-reading the whole saga very soon; this for me is high praise!
on 2 December 2011
At last! The concluding book in the Bonner family story. I was really looking forward to the next episode and this didn't let me down. A terrific read from start to finish, I didn't want to put this book down. Sara Donati also tied up all the loose ends in the epilogue and you weren't left with plots half finished or up in the air. I loved the whole series and if the author fancies writing more I for one would definitely buy them.
on 20 February 2010
Oh how lovely to be back in Paradise, I have read and re-read the other books in the series so many times and was so pleased to have a new instalment. I must admit I found the first few pages a bit confusing, although I had read the other books so many times it's been about a year since my last re-read and I got a little muddled with all the characters but that soon all fell into place. As I am writing this review I am only about half way through the book as I am pacing myself so as to not finish it too soon so I can't really comment on the storyline but as the other reviewer has said I can already see whats coming (I think!) but I don't mind that, for me the joy of this book is revisiting old friends and finding out whats happened to them since I last saw them.
I love Sara Donati's writing !
on 22 July 2014
I purchased the first two books in this series about two years ago. I read "Into the Wilderness" and enjoyed it but didn't read "Dawn on a Distant Shore" until last week and then decided I must re-read the first book before I tackled the complete series.

So, during the past week, I have completed the series and must say that some of the primary characters in these novels are great and you just want to keep reading because the people have become so real to you. Throughout the series, some questions are never completely answered - at least not to my satisfaction. There are often scenes that are simply looked back upon with very little detail about the happenings.

This book does answer a few of the questions, yet it was still quite a let-down. So much time was spent on Jemima Wilde and the concerns of the Bonner Family related to her evil nature that it came close to ruining the book for me. Couldn't the author have had Nathaniel push her over a cliff or something? I would have preferred learning a little bit about what made Ethan tick - the series never explored his character in depth, except for his penchant for building. Or, how about some details about Gabriel and his romance with Annie? Or even, some romantic interludes between Hannah and sexy Ben. Basically zilch, zero, nada! Even letting Lily up off her couch might have helped this book along.

Yes, some loose ends were tied up and it was great to have the joy of Daniel's and Martha's relationship detailed. Additionally, Birdie was a great little character and so much fun, she deserves a series all her own.

I agree with some other reviewers who thought the epilogue as it was written was a wrong move. I would have been happier thinking about all the Bonners (or, if you prefer - "Bonner's" as they were so often referred to when used in the plural sense - wrong! Someone needed additional assistance in editing through much of this series) as they were at the end of the book, without an epilogue that shows when and where many of the characters died. Suggestion: if you read the book, skip the epilogue.
on 11 October 2011
I appreciate the world and the characters created by Sara Donati, and that it was a pleasure to spend some time in their world. I came to love these fine people. Their joys were mine, and their heartbreaks inspired my tears. Technically speaking, I think the author has a great talent for pacing, for fine detail without being burdensome to the story, and for creating anticipation in her love stories. This serious was a joy to read, and it is one I'm sure that I will read again and again.
on 31 January 2010
Having read all the books in the series prior to this one (which are bril by the way) I pre-ordered endless forest, I couldn't wait to read it. Unfortunately it was such a disappointment. The book doesn't progress from its blurb at all, the revealed 'shocking secrets from the past' are obvious and if you've read the other books you will have guessed them anyway.

Having loved the character of Hannah for much of the series who has been a focal and main point in the books I was really gutted that she is hardly mentioned in this one. The relationship between Ben and Hannah which I was so looking forward to read progressing is hardly touched upon too. Also there is hardly any native-american reference which I really liked from the other books. There seems to be too many characters all trying to have their few minutes of narrative and consequently interesting characters which you'd like to delve into deeper are only given a brief write-in.

One redeeming factor is a relationship (I won't spoil it for you) which resonates nicely- however it is cemented in too early for my liking. It ties up all the loose ends but is a very weak ending. If you've read the others you'll want to buy it, but its nothing special which is a very big shame.
on 22 November 2010
I really enjoyed this as the last in the series but also sad to see it end. I felt quite satisfied in the reading as all the characters were brought up to date with good detail. I've really come to admire the characters and the family values they adhere to.
However, if like me you like to imagine the characters continuing their lives after you've finished, do not read all the newspaper articles the author includes at the end. I found this upsetting, disatisfying and unnecessary.
Well recommend the series as one to read over and over again. Really going to miss that family tho'!
on 15 February 2011
I have just finished reading The Endless Forest, the last book in the saga of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Bonner. It was a great story, well told and not too much descriptive narrative. It's nice to get an idea of the layout of the locations in a book but some authors can fill page after page when all the reader really wants is to get on with it. I think Sara Donati achieves this balance very well.I also liked the ending, although much of it brought tears to my eyes, with the obituaries and notices from the newspaper. A jolly good read.
on 24 March 2014
Following the long life of the main charater. Great story all of the characters are brought to life on the page.
on 7 March 2011
I have fallen in love with this series of books. These are the only novels I have wanted to tumble into and live with the characters. I have recommended them to everyone I know and even some people I don't know all that well. I dare you not to fall in love with the Bonner family.