Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 13 September 2008
Well. That was pretty depressing. 'The Silver Metal Lover' - the story this book ostensibly follows - was a lyrical, heartbreaking love story which ended on a note of hope. I have no idea what caused Ms Lee to decide so grimly to metaphorically shred the concepts and hope in the earlier book into tiny metaphorical pieces and then jump up and down on them in further metaphoric glee - but shred she did. It's pretty much ruined the earlier story for me, which I can only believe to have been the author's full intent. It's not badly written, and in fact the protagonist states at the start that you won't like her. It's determinedly miserable, systematically destroying all the wonder of the previous story. Avoid, if you have read 'The Silver Metal Lover' and liked it. Sadly, the narrator is correct. I didn't like any part of it.
on 16 April 2008
While this book was good enough in its own right and entertaining, it is most certainly the pale cousin of its fore-runner The Silver Metal Lover which was such a good book that you only have to read the reviews for that to see how many people loved it. These books are meant to be read one after the other and so you cannot help but conpair them. Where as The Silver Metal lover will move you deeply this one will only give you a nudge. The story has interesting points to make but sadly looses the original thread that ran so bright and strong through the first novel. Worth reading, but try to read it on its own merits and not on the merits of the first book.
on 15 July 2009
I was a bit reluctant to read this book having read some of the reviews. I was definitely expecting to be disappointed, but to my surprise I wasn't. I really like this one as well, though The Silver Metal Lover is still my favourite.

I can understand why some didn't like it, and to be honest at one point I almost decided not to finish it, because I thought it had ruined the first book for me. I won't go into any details as to why, since I don't want to spoil it for other readers, but I'm glad I didn't give up. First impressions aren't always correct. Loren and Verlis aren't Jane and Silver and that's how it should be. Their story is over and done with, however much one wishes they could have had a happy ending. To me at least this book explains why that wouldn't have been possible.