5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read
Published on 10 July 2008 by Ceinwenn

3.0 out of 5 stars A place to suffer!
Published on 30 Jun 2010 by contenta

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read, 10 July 2008
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read this book over 8 years ago & was so hooked by it I had to read it in one go! I couldn't put it down! It's rare that a book has made me laugh, cry, angry & frustrated & this one did all of that. The relationship between Claire & Roan was sweet, innocent & romantic all in one. I love Claire's spirit & Roan's determination to prove he's good. I read this book over & over - so much so that I wore it out & tried for years to find a new copy but was told it was out of print. Boy am I glad to find it on here!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 25 Aug 1999
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Mass Market Paperback)
The bond that developed between Claire and Roan was so strong that I didn't want to put the book down until I found out what happened at the end. Great Work Deborah Smith!!! I look forward to reading more of your work.

5.0 out of 5 stars The characters come alive - a book you will not want to end., 23 Aug 1999
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Mass Market Paperback)
As an avid reader of many different types of books (including romance), I am pretty picky about the quality of writing. Deborah Smith enchants the reader with her knowledge of children's reactions and expressions. In this book she makes you want to live in the Georgia Mountains. You will love Claire and Roanie as children and as adults. A lot of romance fiction writers rely on sex to make the novel a good read. This has a rare blend of true, touching romance that reminds me of Lvyrle Spencer. Rarely has a book come alive from the pages for me. I highly recommend this one and I warn you - you will be tired for work in the morning, because you can't put this book down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely keeping this one..., 4 April 2012
K. Macgregor "KMac" (Scotland,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Mass Market Paperback)
The most recent reviewer "Ana Maria (AM)- 2010" gave this book only 3 stars because the Hero and Heroine met up again after a 20 year gap. Lots can happen in 20 years and people do change. As I got to the second part of this book, like AM, I did feel scepticm about them picking up where they left off after 20 years, but then I thought Roan probably realistically needed that amount of time to amass such a fortune because let's face it, there was no way he would go back to Dunderry just on the marginal side of financial success. The story had to be the same kind of formula as Paradise - Judith McNaught, Sugar Daddy - Lisa Kleypas etc... There has to be a drastic change in circumstance. I think I would be disappointed had Roan not gone back as a wealthy property developer. In these romantic stories, the writer has to merge the reality with the romance and well, there has to be some artistic licence. At the end of the day, I love this kind of story where the Hero is the underdog and has to fight his way up. Anyway, I thought it was well written, much much better than a lot of the contemporary writers promoted on the book market and Deborah Smith is a star. If I had been a writer, I would have liked to write like her!! I'll want to get this story on my Kindle!

3.0 out of 5 stars A place to suffer!, 30 Jun 2010
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first book that I've read from this author. I find her writing style very catching. At the beginning I couldn't put it down because I want to reach the romantic history between the hero and the heroin. The story is too dramatic. And it's not very realizable that they resume a couple's love twenty years later. On the one hand, there was such a love when there were so young for obvious reason. On the other hand, they make love at the first chance without knowing each other well. People change in so many years. It's not possible this naive mutual acceptance.
Founded in what? How long is going to last?
I don't find this book romantic at all, just a drama with some love's scenes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, 20 July 1999
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Mass Market Paperback)
A wonderful first half outlining the special bond between the hero and heroine as they grew up. I couldn't wait for them to be reunited. But as adults they didn't have the same chemistry and the plot becomes very contrived. Ultimately I had to force myself to finish this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 25 Jun 1999
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of the best books that I have ever read! The characters are friends, then they become closer. They don't just start "doing it" right away! (I would hope not, Claire is only five years old when the book begins!)
These characters show what "True Love" really is. They care about each other and they help each other out. When you read some of the letters that Roan writes to Claire, you will wish that Roan would move to wherever you live and sweep you off your feet! There's also a surprise in the book that will melt your heart!
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Just Read It Again!, 23 Jun 1999
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Mass Market Paperback)
Just finished reading this wonderful book AGAIN! It only gets sweeter the second time. Read this book--you will love the characters--and never be sorry!

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible insight...great summer reading, 17 Jun 1999
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first Deborah Smith book I have read. I was enthralled by her wonderful use of dialougue, characters, and descriptions. This is wonderful story about lifes changes, the human spirit, the meaning of family, and true love that lasts through tides of time. The only thing that threw me just a bit was towards the end, when the main character became just a tad irritating, but it turns out great.

5.0 out of 5 stars i loved this book!!!, 13 Jun 1999
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Mass Market Paperback)
This was one of the all time best books i have read it was one of those you can't put down... i just loved it.. i would recommend this book to anyone...Thank you deborah smith....Your charectors came to life for me.. i did not want it to end...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Place to Call Home
A Place to Call Home by Deborah Smith (Mass Market Paperback - Jun 1998)
4.78