5.0 out of 5 stars The best book yet in the series!
A great book, but I only highly recommend it to those of you who have read and loved all of the previous Mrs. Murphy novels. You should appreciate the long way Harry's come. The plot, the animals, and Crozet were all pleasing. This is quite possibly the best book in the series. My only question: Will Blair ever admit his hidden love for Harry??
Published on 16 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As the Rest
I don't have much new to add to the previous reviews, except to say that I, too, have read all of the previous Mrs. Murphy books as well as Riding Shotgun and Rita Will. For some reason this story was strangely lacking. Maybe because she went a little over the top at the end and I couldn't suspend my disbelief as willingly as usual.
If this book had been the...
Published on 5 Aug 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book yet in the series!, 16 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As the Rest, 5 Aug 1999
This review is from: Cat on the Scent (Hardcover)
If this book had been the first one I read, I'm not sure I would come back for more. I also think the new illustrations are jarring after the previously wonderful ones. Growing up, Marguerite Henry was my favorite author (because she wrote about horses), but the books would have not been complete without Wesley Dennis' illustrations. I feel the same way about Mrs. Murphy, Pewter, Tucker without Wendy Wray.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, but not the best Mrs. Murphy mystery!, 26 May 1999
This review is from: Cat on the Scent (Hardcover)
I bought this the day it came out and read it immediately, as I do with all of Rita Mae Brown's books -- and of course I loved it because of Mrs. Murphy, Pewter (who reminds me of my kitty Jasper), Tucker, Harry and the whole gang, and of course the comfort and homey feeling of Crozet that always comes through in these books. I withheld 1 star because one of the things I have always loved about RMB's writing, and which is missing in this book, is the assumption that her audience is intelligent enough to figure out the subtleties and nuances without her having to spell them out. I was bothered by the few instances in this one where the reader is TOLD something rather than being allowed to have our imaginations figure it out. Is RMB aiming for a different audience in this book ... ? This new style doesn't appeal to me as much. I also thought Blair lost a lot of his appeal as just another womanizer with testosterone poisoning ... I hope Harry doesn't fall for him, he's too materialistic and he'd break her heart just like Fair! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another feline winner from a series with more than 9 lives, 10 Jan 1999
This review is from: Cat on the Scent (Hardcover)
Normally nothing exciting occurs in Crozet, Virginia. However, when something happens, usually Harry Harristeen ends up in the middle of the action due to the activities of her three pets. Crozet is a unique hamlet where the pets, unbeknownst to their human counterparts, are as intelligent, if not more so, than their Homo Sapiens "owners".
Harry's trio include the ingenious Mrs. Murphy, who must have been Machiavelli in a previous life, Pewter, and Tucker. The trio shares a curiosity beyond that of a typical and happy pet.. Thus, when someone is actually shot during a Civil War reenactment, the trio of feline detectives begins to investigate. Meanwhile, another person is murdered and a business is burned to the ground. Harry's roommates feel the three incidents are related. They place their owner in protective custody as they go try to ferret out the identity of the culprit.
CAT ON THE SCENT is a whimsical cozy filled with an amusing Dr. Doolittle aura within a well-designed who-done-it. Readers will believe that animals can talk, relate, and do cognitive thinking and inductive reasoning as well an any amateur sleuth. Like their previous "Cat" tales, Rita Mae Brown and her feline consultant Sneaky Pie Brown craft an entertaining novel that meets the high standard of excellence expected from this dynamic duo.

Harriet Klausner

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't measure up., 22 July 1999
This review is from: Cat on the Scent (Hardcover)
I enjoy Rita Mae Brown's books very much and I actually bought one from Amazon.com using a gift certifcate just last week. This, however, didn't measure up. I enjoyed the book and, as always, I thought the animals were a delightlful touch. However, I agree with a previous customer. I don't believe that the author should spell out EVERY single detail down to its threadbare minimum, but I like for the author to come right out and say who did it just to confirm my suspicions. The author did this in a way. The murderers confesssed to each other in a dilly-dallying, round-about way. My father is a police officer and just not having ANY justice served was another low point in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read, 8 July 1999
This review is from: Cat on the Scent (Hardcover)
Enjoyed this latest entry in the series, but after the climatic rescue at the end, I have one question......does this make Mrs Murphy and Pewter eligible for MENSA membership?? :-) Despite all the silliness, I still enjoy the stories very much. One major complaint though.... THE NEW ILLUSTRATOR!!!!!! The drawings of the animals are very crude compared to the previous exquisite work of Wendy Wray. I have always looked forward to the wonderful illustrations and was horribly disappointed. Mrs Murphy is striped like a barber pole....and is that supposed to be Simon on p.205?? Try looking a possum some time, that is NOT one. Looks like an armadillo head to me. Bring back Wendy!!!!!!
Laura Clemons

1.0 out of 5 stars How about some NEW ideas?, 8 Jun 1999
This review is from: Cat on the Scent (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed the earlier books in this series, but despite my best efforts and several tries, couldn't get through this one. Maybe it's because Harry and her buddies are starting to say the same thing over and over again. Or maybe it's because these should be fun to know characters are becoming as boring and predictable as their dialogue has become. Cute only goes so far, even in a light hearted mystery and then it gets tedious. Maybe the animals should do less and the humans just a bit more if this previously entertaining series is to keep moving forward. After all, the gimmick of the talking animals has been well established.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good entry in the series, 1 Jun 1999
This review is from: Cat on the Scent (Hardcover)
If you liked the other books in the series, you'll like this one. Fair warning: if you're expecting this to be a nice "cozy" where everything comes out right in the end, you're going to have to be satisfied with partial justice. There are two mysteries in this one, the minor one that's ridiculously easy to solve, and the major one that's quite a bit harder. The debates between characters with different viewpoints are interesting, as usual. Long-time readers can tell that the rehabilitation of Miranda, who was rather obnoxious in the first book, is complete -- the handy cast listing has dropped that line that she thumps her own Bible. (Of course, it was easy to tell that the authors decided they really liked her when they started to describe her as plump instead of fat. The Browns follow a modern trend in writing where nice fat characters are described using euphemisms for fat. The dreaded three-letter word is reserved for fat characters who aren't nice.) Those readers who consider Fair a jerk, as I do, will be pleased that he hardly shows up. I wish the authors would introduce a man worthy of Harry. Notes: The illustrations are usually accurate as well as attractive, so it's surprising that Pewter is in the dam-crossing one when the text states that she stayed home. Was there a change to the original draft? The publisher might wish to look at the fourth paragraph from the bottom on p.30. Unless "scared cow" is Virginian for "sacred cow", they might wish to correct that for the paperback.
Ann E. Nichols

2.0 out of 5 stars flat characters, but what do you expect from a cat?, 22 May 1999
This review is from: Cat on the Scent (Hardcover)
I've always enjoyed Brown's light mystery work, but this one was strangely unsatisfying. I realized in reading it how little character development we ever get in these sagas -- Hardy's "bags of bones" walk through this book but leave us strangely unaffected. Wish Brown would get off her drugs as the source of all evil kick, but I do like her gov't as the real source of all evil tirade, so I'll forgive her.
I read this book in the page proofs, so I'm curious to know whether the horrible, egregious, glaring error was ever corrected -- when what's his name is showing off his uniform at the post office and what's her name tells him it was "spun on a hand loom." My eight year old daughter choked w/laughter at that one -- even she knows we spin on a spindle or wheel and weave on a loom.
I hope the Browns will work on developing their characters more in the next volume -- we know Rita Mae can do it!

4.0 out of 5 stars I still love Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Harry, too!!!, 3 April 1999
This review is from: Cat on the Scent (Hardcover)
I've enjoyed all of Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy novels. I'm a Southerner; perhaps the setting reminds me of the small town I grew up in. I withheld one star because I had the feeling that there was something missing in this tale. Less grit, less enthusiasm? I can't put my finger on it. I would still recommend it to you Mrs. Murphy fans out there, however. And I look forward to any upcoming Mrs. Murphy novels.

Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy Mysteries)
Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy Mysteries) by Rita Mae Brown (Mass Market Paperback - 30 April 2000)
4.74