5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful book, 30 Aug 2004
Sonia (Beeston, Nottingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brides Bodyguard (Bantam Book) (Paperback)
I picked up a copy of this book at a local used books shop and have been an avid Elizabeth Thornton fan ever since. But Brides Bodyguard remains my favorite and I have read it a countless times. Ross is a wonderful hero, strong but not overly alpha male. I didn't like Tess at the beginning because she was such a spoiled brat. But she has gradually changed throughout the book and developed into an admirable heroine. I also like the story, it has a good pacing and it keeps the tension building towards the grand finale.
The only thing that bothers me a little bit is that the end seems to be a little hurried. There is a great showdown amongst the main protagonists, but I really miss some scenes which are described through retrospect instead of showed directly through dialogue. The reader is told what has happened rather than showed. But this is just my opinion perhaps it won't bother someone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars A suspenseful, gripping yet poignant love story for all time, 24 May 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Brides Bodyguard (Bantam Book) (Paperback)
I compare every book that I read to books from best selling author Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. This one not only compares well, it competes and holds its own! Beautifully written with a twisting, surprising and suspenseful plot. This story has depth...the characters are well developed and three dimensional. I particularly was impressed and touched by the way Ross's relationship to his late wife, Cassie, is honored and respected even though he is drawn to Tessa. His love for Tessa is not diminished by his love for Cassie, rather it is enhanced by it. We understand how Ross's first relationship made him the way he is today and why he reacts the way he does in romantic situations. We also follow Tessa's development and can feel her humiliation and embarrassment at the beginning of the novel as she goes through an awkward growing up period in her life. We can empathize as we look back on our own lives at that stage. And as Ross and Tessa's lives become inextricably linked, we grow with them as their relationship changes. True character development here!!! I truely loved this book and look forward to re-reading it many times in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars slow at first then you can't wait to find out what happens, 14 April 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Brides Bodyguard (Bantam Book) (Paperback)
As I said I found the story slow at first but then wow. The heroine, in my opinion, was a bit silly. I suppose she had to be that way so that there was a reason that the hero (and all of his friends) didn't let her in on the murder and mystery puzzle. The hero stuborn. The suspense perfect, it really built up towards the end of the book. I do recommend reading the book if you like suspense and romance.

Brides Bodyguard (Bantam Book)
Brides Bodyguard (Bantam Book) by Elizabeth Thornton (Paperback - 13 Oct 1998)
4.09