4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for the book; 2 for the audio version
Published on 4 Dec 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened to the mysteries?
I am disappointed in this series. I started with "Catering to Nobody," and have all the others (save the latest--"The Grilling Season"), but I don't think I'm going to be able to finish them.
Published on 18 Oct 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened to the mysteries?, 18 Oct 1998
This review is from: The Last Suppers (Mass Market Paperback)
Ms. Mott-Davidson's storytelling talents began to fade with "Dying for Chocolate," paled some more in the overwrought "The Cereal Killers," and then went out altogether on "The Last Suppers," which I didn't finish.
At least Grafton and Evanovich's mysteries kept things lively. In each volume, Ms. Mott-Davidson's body count rose to an incredible level and left me with serious doubts about wanting to befriend Goldy and her clan.
I'm disappointed and will no recommend this series to my readers, no matter the wonderful recipes. This was a waste of my precious leisure time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 29 Jan 1997
This review is from: The Last Suppers (Mass Market Paperback)
This may be the last book that I read in the Goldy Bear series. While the writing is enjoyable and the characters are engaging, the mystery takes a back seat to the food. This is not necessarily bad, but I was able to figure out who and what fairly early into the story. On the positive side, I still wanted to read the book and find out how the solution developed - how Goldy puts all the pieces together. The long descriptions of food and its preparations made me very hungry, and the recipes that Ms. Davidson includes seem almost worth the price of the book, even if I am slightly disappointed in the mystery. So I offer a qualified recommendation of this book - enjoyable and tasty but not quite filling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Tom's scribblings needed more explanation, 4 Sep 1999
By A Customer
I liked this book altho it was not your typical mystery. I had a hard time figuring out what the scribblings in Tom's notebook meant, and I don't feel that it was completely explained. Did 1049 & 1133 refer to times? What did "B." mean? And how about "vdd"? Did this mean victim died at 1133? Tom reported in at 11:14 that he had a body. Doesn't body infer death? The earlier "d.d." meant dying declaration. So what did "vdd" mean? Otherwise, I enjoyed the book & I did not figure out who the killer was. It was hard to believe that Montgomery would kill Olson because of the "miracle cure"!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for the book; 2 for the audio version, 4 Dec 1998
By A Customer
Ms. Rosenblatt's reading is somehow just "not Goldy." Goldy's occasional irreverence (which is usually charming) is not the same as the snide tone taken by this reader. Happily, I read the book first and picked up the tapes at the library. The diction is clear and understandable, but sometimes words are mispronounced (i.e, pick-CAN-tee sauce). With so many different characters and the trillion "clues" strewn about, this story would be hard to keep track without having read the hard copy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, 14 Mar 2011
Andrew J. Codling "s_tarboy" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Suppers (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first Diane Mott Davidson book, and it will be my last. The main character "Goldy" is a whiner who complains all the time, and anyone who opposes capital punishment should consider what should happen should someone like her son as depicted in this book exist in real life.

The story is semi reasonable, although Goldies involvement is somewhat ridiculous, there is a lot of church, and a lot of poor characterisation.

To be honest all I will take from this book is the conviction that Goldies son should be put to death horribly, and that to avoid any Diane Mott Davidson books in future.

2.0 out of 5 stars the worst of a great series, 15 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Last Suppers (Hardcover)
DMD writes a great series, but this has to be the worst of the lot, the last suppers is slow and totally unbelievable, but I still enjoy Goldy, if your new to the series definately dont read this book first

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Food, and Too Much Church, 23 Nov 2002
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Suppers (Mass Market Paperback)
I managed to finish this book, but will definitely not read another one in this series. She's written a passable mystery, but I found too much emphasis on food and church. If you enjoy those two things, you would really love the whole series. The author is VERY knowledgeable about church affairs, and calls on that knowledge to write this series. the emphaszis on food is meant to bring humor into the book. But I don't find that mystery and humor mix very well. Also, I just could never come to like the main character (or any of the other charaters, either, and therefore, never really got pulled into caring about what happened in the books. I had really looked forward to reading one of the books in this series. This was the first one I came across. It was a disappointment for me personally.

The Last Suppers
The Last Suppers by Davidson (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Dec 2006)