5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!
Published on 3 Sep 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book, but....
I must agree with the interviewers who called the characters flat and the pace dragging. The fun element, for me, was the supernatural twist, but even there, more could have been done with it.
Published on 21 Jun 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 3 Sep 1998
This review is from: Finding Laura (Mass Market Paperback)
I should have known better than to start this book at 8:00 at night, but I couldn't help myself! I absolutely love Kay Hooper, but I had put off buying this book because I had been disappointed in "After Caroline", I just couldn't get into it. "Finding Laura", however, has restored my faith in this talented author! Hooper's characters drew me into the story and kept me there, and the revelation of the murderer was a suprise. Well done Ms. Hooper!

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book, but...., 21 Jun 1999
This review is from: Finding Laura (Mass Market Paperback)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dragged. Characters cardboard and little sexual tension., 5 Mar 1999
This review is from: Finding Laura (Mass Market Paperback)
Laura and her "soulmate" were both flat. I couldn't figure out why they were in love, other than a very strong sexual attraction. What did she bring to him, and he to her? WHY did they complete each other? Take away Laura's strange fears and reactions left over from being reincarnated, and she is completely without definition. The hero was intriguing at first, but I lost interest in him when he so quickly seduced Laura and did little else but get her into bed. The other characters seemed to have stepped right out of a romance written 50 years ago--what women these days hang around the house all day doing nothing but reading, playing piano, and walking in the garden? To have five full-grown women doing nothing else made it very hard to relate to them. Though all the murderers were women, none of them were very intriguing people. The plot was predictable (we all knew who the baddest person in the house was from the get-go). I wanted one of the shy wallflowers to be the murderer--at least it would have been a surprise. And ALL the women in the house had secret romances, except the matriarch. All FOUR of them. Plus the heroine's best friend! Talk about too much! The ending was far too obvious. We knew from the beginning about the soulmate business, so the mystery of the mirror was very predictable. But why didn't the heroine ever consider the possibility of former lives at any point? Also, unrealistically, her college-student researcher managed to put together the entire history of the mirror in a week or two, complete with lost diaries and letters. As if it would ever be that easy in real life. Worse, the murderer of course admits to the crime the second the heroine asks her about it, in full detail. Talk about a pat ending! Where was the suspense? Finally, the heroine's life was NEVER in danger, despite the blurb on the back. Never once did I feel she was entering dangerous territory. Where's the suspense in that? All in all, a yawner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully romantic page-turner--don't miss it!, 1 Nov 1998
This review is from: Finding Laura (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book and can't believe I missed the hardcover release! I was totally intrigued by the set-up, the couple is sexy and fun, and this book kept me distracted from a very bumpy plane ride! The ultimate praise! Kay Hooper writes old-fashioned Gothics with a completely modern sensibility. Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and Well-Hidden Answers., 15 Sep 1998
This review is from: Finding Laura (Mass Market Paperback)
Kay's book is fascinating, despite some of the negative comments. Keeping the reader from figuring out who committed the murders was masterfully done. I found very little to complain about in this piece, though reading tastes are so subjective, it's impossible to please everyone. Her characters were complex and highly interesting, though I would have liked a bit stronger characterization in the hero. He was the kind of guy I wanted to know more about. It's still a great book. When a reader wants to know more about a character, it speaks well of the author who created him in the first place. It takes a lifetime to perfect the craft of writing, and not nearly that long to learn how to criticize.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book! I could not stop once I started., 15 Sep 1998
This review is from: Finding Laura (Mass Market Paperback)
"Finding Laura" is a great book. It is so intriguing and enticing that I read till 4 in the morning without knowing it. Now that I am almost close to finishing it, I started to worry where I can find another good book, or Kay Hooper to kill my commuting time.
The book definitely has all the right elements to succeed. I think Kay Hooper has become one of my favorite authoresses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder and Romance, Again and Again, 4 Jan 2008
Laurel Whitehead (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Finding Laura (Mass Market Paperback)
When artist Laura Sutherland buys the antique mirror at the Kilbourne estate sale she has no idea how it's going to change her life. Shortly after Peter Kilbourne tries to to buy it back. For reasons she can't understand, Laura refuses to sell, even though Peter offers her a handsome profit. Later Peter is murdered, Laura is the suspect. She goes to the Kilbourne estate, home of one of Atlanta's wealthiest families, meets and falls in love with Peter's brother David and is drawn into the intrigues of the Kilbourne family.
I loved this book five stars worth. I was swept into the timeless intrigue, the timeless romance, the murders, the, whoops, I almost gave away the ending. "Finding Laura" is Kay Hooper at her best. My recommendation, buy this book and prepare for a wonderful, sleepless night.

Review Submitted by Captain Katie Osborne

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 29 Sep 1998
This review is from: Finding Laura (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading the hype about this novel in Romantic Times, I was sorely disappointed when I finally read it, in spite of an intriguing mystical plot twist.
The hero and heroine did nothing to motivate me to root for them. She was dull and undistiniguished from a hundred other females in a hundred other books, and he was cold, distant, and lacked solidity. He seemed to me to be just a flat character on a flat page.
Their relationship did not seem to develop or intensify.... one day they had sex, then they were in love and moving in together. Where's the intrigue, the slow build-up?
As for the rest of the characters, wow! What a thoroughly unlikeable bunch! Not a single character elicited my sympathy. They were a bunch of spoiled, selfish, malicious, freaks with few redeeming qualities. I pity poor Laura.... why in the name of God would she want to marry into a family like that?

5.0 out of 5 stars All Kay Hooper's books are "keepers"!, 12 July 1998
This review is from: Finding Laura (Mass Market Paperback)
Laura went to an estate sale with a girlfriend and bought a brass hand mirror with a maze on the back. Hours later, Peter, from the estate, showed up at her door to buy it back. Laura refused. Peter was murdered later that night. Laura was the main suspect.
Laura went to the estate expecting hatred. But no one believed she had killed Peter. His grandmother, Amelia, found out Laura was an artist and arranged for Laura to paint her portriate. All Peter's relatives lived on the estate. The center of everything seemed to revolve around a four acre maze made of living greenery. It was a duplicate of the back of the brass mirror.
Laura met and began to know all the relatives. Amelia ran the house with an iron fist. Daniel ran the business and finances. Kerry was Peter's scarred and timid widow. Anne ran hot one minute and cold the next. Madeline was the mother and was not mentally fit. Joesie was Amelia's personal assistant. Alex was the family lawyer. Landry was the detective investigating Peter's murder.
Every one of them had a motive. Every one of them had an alibi. Who killed Peter? Who would die next?
***I did not know until the last few pages how appropriate this title was. I am usually so good at solving these murder mysteries. This time; however, I found myself accussing everybody! I love the writings of Mary Higgins Clark and Sidney Sheldon. For others who like them, buy this one in hardback! Kay Hooper has written a Keeper!***

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Higgins Clark and Patrica Cornwell WATCHOUT!, 8 April 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Finding Laura (Hardcover)

Finding Laura
Finding Laura by Kay Hooper (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Nov 1998)
4.46