5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST
Published on 26 Nov 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars Too far from standard, too far from good.
Published on 5 July 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Too far from standard, too far from good., 5 July 1999
This review is from: Star Wars: The Crystal Star (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, so, all the reviews for this book vary. Some say that it was just marvelous, some say that Jabba-The-Hutt's slime-coat was more attention grabbing, and still other still say it was as wrong as a mirror that doesn't give you a reflection. In reality, the plot itself was great. The details, however, made this baby crash and burn. Luke, Han, and Leia were to far astray from their normal behavioral patterns, to different, that they ended up acting like a whole new group of characters in this well known universe. Luke acting suicidal and paranoid, Han acting like Luke's father, and being overy-compulsive (he was a smugler, not a gambler.) And Leia, rushing off to do things, getting confused about who she was, all made this book a tough one to read. and, upon reaching the finale, one would most likely say that, although, what happened was cool, what led up to it was to wrong. It didn't have the power to save itself. The Author knows how to write, but doesn't know how to write Star Wars Characters. All in all, This book, due to it's less that good overall entertainment abilities left alot to be desidered, and therefore fets onlt two stars fom me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a praise, not an excuse -- simply analysis and opinion, 24 Mar 1999
This review is from: Star Wars: The Crystal Star (Mass Market Paperback)
My thoughts on this book: as has been pointed out plenty of times already, this book does not exactly fit with the Star Wars book series. However, I know Ms. McIntyre *is* more of a fantasy writer (I have read several of her other books and they are much better -- they're HER creations). I am sympathetic to her problems (I write sci-fi books and I face similar difficulties). Some of the more "fantasy"-like elements in this book are: the wyrewulf, the four-armed people that wyrewulfs (wulves?) eventually crysallise into, Waru (alternate dimensions, anyone? or the infinite ichor that Waru was composed of?), Jaina's centaur-like friend (the one with hooves and horns?), and the dragon. Even the Firrerre could be considered part of the Fantasy genre. There is a midaevil feel to parts of the book (the beginning, on Munto Cudro, with the castle and the kidnapping etiquette). Crseih station is also suspect. If it were moved _into_ orbit around this crystal star and the black hole, then why couldn't it be moved _back_? As pointed out by others, Luke is not realistic. McIntyre compensates for this by having Han observe Luke's transformation, but Han, at the same time, is behaving strangely. Solo becomes a touchy, gambling man. This is _not_ the Han we know. He also is easily peeved by Luke's abilities, which we do not see in other SW books. If he were so anti-Jedi or anti-Force, then how does he get along with Leia or the kids? His closest friends and family are Force-sensitive, so chastising Luke's Force-use is not in his character. Finally, I would just like to remind everyone that this *was* Ms. McIntyre's first and last Star Wars book. It is obviously not the area that she really is gifted to work in. I'm sure even she realises this. Her SW writing may not be quite what avid fans were expecting, but writing a book does take time and effort -- give her credit. Keep on writing Fantasy, Ms. McIntyre! "Freckles"

1.0 out of 5 stars Uh. . .um. . .er. . .no. . .Why isn't there a 0 star option?, 4 Mar 1999
This review is from: Star Wars: The Crystal Star (Mass Market Paperback)
Not a good book. Hethrir or whatever was stupid and pointless, so was Rillau or whatever, what the heck is a warewolfe doing in Star Wars (you can't tell me that that wyrewulf thing isn't one), Waru? Waru? Waru? NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! OH MY GREAT GOD NO!!! What in Hell was this author thinking when she even dared to create this, this, INSULT to the Star Wars universe. Another dimension? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!! THAT IS NOT STAR WARS IN ANY, I REPEAT ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!!!!!!!!!! A good story wasn't even attempted here it seems. If George Lucas ever read this he would keel over dead! Why did they pass this one? WHY?! No big battles, no duels, no Luke (and I stand by that remark!), no Star Wars feeling... If you want to read it go ahead. But don't expect too much. I have nothing against the author. She may very well be good with Star Trek but she just didn't capture Star Wars at all. It seemed more like she had a pet project that never quite took off so she slapped a Star Wars title and (dare I say it?) characters on it just so she could get it published and get people to read it knowing that all good Star Wars fans would read anything having to do with it. Thank God for the X-wing novels! Those got me back into the Star Wars pace after reading so many bad novels with a few good ones intermesshed in between (I speak of the Correlian trilogy and Shadows of the Empire). After X-wing the authors seemed to be getting back on track. My advice? Skip this one. None of the characters introduced in this book ever return and none of the plot points are ever brought back up again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Who the hell let this Trekkie write?, 12 Feb 1999
This review is from: Star Wars: The Crystal Star (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a serious Star Wars fan, I've read all of the books except for three. I pride myself on being able to remember what happened in each book with detail. But after reading this crap that somehow managed to sell itself off as a book, I'd gladly have my memory wiped. Until I read this book I could say that every Star Wars book that I'd read would be at least decent, including the Jedi Search Academy(which was only semi-crap. But along comes this trekkie crap and I'm starting to be suspicious of every new SW novel. I never that thought I'd read a book that polluted the Star Wars universe more than the Jedi Search trilogy. This book(if you can call it that) proved me wrong, its like Vonda woke up one day and said "Now let me see, whats the best ways to sabotage the SW universe?" The main reason for why this book doesn't belong in the world of Star Wars is obvious. Let's see if the retards who liked this book can figure it out.Star WARS(emphisas on WARS here). This book was completly devoid of any action whatsoever. When I looked at the cover and saw with his lightsaber out, I thought it would at least have some action in it, Let's see if the retards can answer this one. How many times does he actually fight with the lightsaber? answer: not at all. And don't even get me started about Hethir and the whining of the twins. Oh no he fed me bad food, Oh no he made me do homework. In, conclusion, I think that this trekkie should not write anymore SW novels and try to get a job creating episodes of th Teletubbies, because thats about how good this book was. By the way, I how many of the people who liked this book watch the Teletubbies

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate, very unfortunate, 5 Nov 1998
This review is from: Star Wars: The Crystal Star (Mass Market Paperback)
This book made no sense in many places. First of all, it makes no sense how this Hethrir guy could prevent anyone from using the force, secondly it is really confusing how a person could be born of two force users, and be unable to use the force at all. Also, there were two different uses stated for the use of Crseih, one was to harness the forces of the black hole, and another was that it was used to test methods of "coercion and death... on sentient subjects." Even if there were two uses for the station, you would think that Rillao would have mentioned that it was also used in an attempt to harness the powers of the black hole. She also would have mentioned that Asylum Station was also known as Crseih Station. You would also expected whoever took over Crseih would have moved the station to a safer place away from the black hole, even if the radiation sheilds were holding. And the person running the station would have at least moved it when the Crystal Star's orbit was decaying. However, if you can't make the jump into hyperspace when you are in a gravity field, how did they escape when they were so close to the black hole. Then there is so much having to do with the cruelty to the children, cruelty similar to that happens, maybe not now, but has probably happened in the past. Mcintyre really talked about it way too much, way too much. That Wyrwulf was really boring me the whole way through as well. The action involving Anakin was really crammed into the last sixty pages too. The plot was actually slightly okay, but otherwise annoying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this even Star Wars?, 15 Aug 1998
This review is from: Star Wars: The Crystal Star (Mass Market Paperback)
The only reason I gave this book two stars was because it was a trip to the Star Wars universe. This book was terrible. The only book in the series that is worse is "Children of the Jedi". All the characters that we know and love have been destroyed. Luke, Luke Skywalker, the most powerful Jedi MASTER to ever live becomes a whinny little whim who is almost tempted to the dark side! I thought that Kevin J. Anderson already had Luke overcome those temptations. Leia, Princess Leia Organa Solo, Chief of State and President of the Senate for the New Republic turns into a bounty hunter named Lelila?! Han, General Han Solo, becomes a worthless boozer who comes within an millimeter of cheating on Leia! Chewie, the mighty Wookie who would gladly give his own life to protect Han and his family, becomes a CRIPPLE who limps around throughout the whole book. C-3PO, the always stuck-up droid we love, turns into the perfect puppet. He never speaks unless spoken to, always answers correctly, and never rambles. The new characters are completely worthless. Hethrir, a dark Jedi who just so happens to be an alien. This wouldn't be so bad if McIntyre didn't say that the Emporer loved him. I thought the Emporer hated all aliens! Why would he let Vader train one in the Force? And why is Hethrir so annoying and not villianous enough? Dark Jedis are supposed to be completely evil and veil and have LIGHTSABER DUALS!!! The most evil thing Hethrir does is make the twins eat bad food. Waru, I mean come on. What is this thing!!! Everything about him is pointless and stupid. Oh no, he has Anti-Force! I'm real scared. Yeah right. In short this book wasn't worth my time or money. Please, I beg you, stay away from it and don't ruin your view of Star Wars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why Would Anyone Enjoy This Book?, 1 Dec 1997
This review is from: Star Wars: The Crystal Star (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, sure I will usually respect other people's opinions, especially on books, but I honestly believe that anyone who thinks that this book was the best of the SW novels should not be allowed out of their home. After all, we don't need Section-Eights running around, do we? Someone might get hurt! In this books, I found Ms. McIntyre contradicting nearly everything that all of the other SW novels stand for. I was close to tears, it was so embarresing to read about how Luke goes up to that Waru-peice-of-crap and is influenced by it! I mean, "HELLO!! This is LUKE SKYWALKER, THE MOST POWERFUL JEDI EVER!" And how about the bad guy, Hethrir or whatever his name was. Come on! When has ever a more lowly weakling of an enemy ever strolled the SW universe? Again, twice in this book, I was embarresed, when I read the diagouge between a buch of whine-ohs that can't talk, anyhow! The "goo-goo" speaking parts of all the kidnapp-ees was enough to turn any die-hard SW fanatic away from anyhting even remotely related to Star Wars. Those parts, I'm convinced, were purely page-fillers, designed to please any one who is a unicorn-loving, "oh-look-at-the-cute-little-baby-waby", Lisa Frank-fan. Not me, I say! I cringe when I think about the money-blowing boozer Han turns into in this novel. I thought he was adventurous. A scoundrel-- true, but not a dumpy guy who lives his life in bars and casinos drinking his life away. I was apalled at the disgustingly long amount of time that was spent on the feeble thing that was called by Ms. McIntyre a "plot". I could go on and on, but I won't. Let me just say that any of you who have not read this, you are the lucky ones, and all of you who did read it, from cover to cover, God bless you!

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST, 26 Nov 1997
This review is from: Star Wars: The Crystal Star (Mass Market Paperback)
ok first off I don't know what all of you so-called STAR WARS fans are whineing about....get a life. You guys all know that there will never be a book as good as the movies. Every review I have read so far about these books has stated how trashy they are and how they don't deserve to be Star Wars books. Sencond of course the Jedi kids are whinney, they're kids! and you would be too if you were kidnapped. Chewey's aloud to be hurt...you would be too. it just makes things harder and gives him something too do in the book. and another thing, Luke can act however the author portrayed him, Part of the time he was under the Influence of Waru, so his forces were blurred. AND LAST I don't think any of you could write that well so I would just shut-up. If you want to read something not worth while, than read a Star Trek book, and then you will see how much better Star Wars is. Honestly I think this is a very good book, one of the best I've read(and I've read all but 3) A brief summary: Luke Goes on a search to find another possible Jedi for his training camp. He's goes to the planet, Crseeih but his power of the Force is covered, by an alien named Waru.(and I can't tell you the rest 'cause it would ruin such a great book) Meanwhile Leia's kids get kidnapped and the main villain named Hethrir takes them to a place where their powers don't work. This guy is training his own jedi for an attept to restore the Empire which he says it the "Empire Reborn" I think it showed great character, and I could hardly put the book down. So those of you who are looking for a good book, don't listen to these complainers and get this one. I promise you, you won't be disappointed. :0)

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique Star Wars experience, 18 April 1997
This review is from: Star Wars: The Crystal Star (Mass Market Paperback)
The Crystal Star was only the second Star Wars novel I read, but it was the one which got me hooked. To date, I have read all 22 mainstream novels as well as the excellent X-Wing series, and haven't found a more compelling book than The Crystal Star.

When McIntyre begins the book on the planet Munto Codru, a place otherwise unknown to Star Wars fans, it instantly moves away from the traditional "book" characters of Mara Jade, Mon Mothma, and Admiral Ackbar and introduces a side of Star Wars that isn't old and familiar. It brings us to the heart of what the movies were to those who first saw them in theaters, and takes into a galaxy we can truly call "...far, far away.".

The introduction of Han and Leia's children,
Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin as main characters gave readers the oppotunity to wittness Star Wars from a child's point of view, something many fans have forgotten how to do. While some of the punishments Hethrir imposes on the children seem like slaps of the wrist to adults, to a young child, nothing is more terrible than to be seperated from those you love and forced into an alien way of life.

The only problem with McIntyre's novel is that the pace of the final scene moves much faster than the rest of the book. As the reuinited family leaves, we are confused as to who is where and why. This minor fault is lost in the vast epic of this classic story.

The biggest reason for a fan to read this book is that in this novel alone, does Luke regain some of the innocence from the original Star Wars movie. As he loses his Jedi abilities, Luke becomes more human, and thus we see the part of him that isn't just a Jedi Master, but a regular person with faults like everyone else.

If a person were to read only 2 pieces of Star Wars, they should be Timothy Zahn's original saga, and Vonda McIntyre's The Crystal Star.

1.0 out of 5 stars I actually rated it 0 but there is none on the rating scale., 23 Jan 1997
This review is from: Star Wars: The Crystal Star (Mass Market Paperback)
When I first got the Crystal Star by Vonda N. McIntyre, I was very much looking forward to another good Star Wars Book about the characters that I have come to know and love. I was very disappointed.

McIntyre wrote a book about people who had the same names and same appearances, but did not have the same character. For example, the royal Princess Leia became a commoner with schizophrenic tendencies. The mighty Chewbacca, who is filled with raw rage at times of crisis and acts on those with either his bowcaster or his strong muscular physique, became a sick monkey who had to lay in bed the whole book. Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, a man of action who thinks before he leaps, who has the strength to resist the dark side of Darth Vader and the Emperor combined, became a mesmerized puppet of an alien monster. Our Corellian smuggler, Han Solo, a man who lives on the edge and has vices but offsets them with his conscience, became a gambling spineless wimp who gets bossed around by an Inn keeper.

Okay, I concede. Characters, especially the strong characters of the Star Wars books, are hard to replicate. However, villains are supposed to be evil and mean. The worst thing the Jedi children's kidnapper did was make them eat bad food and do homework. Yes I suppose he did make a pact to sell the children to the alien, but that was not highlighted enough to be an effective evil trait. As for the alien creature that ate the force, well, once again the Star Wars spirit was lost. George Lucas took the idea of the force from a tribal religion that people followed here on earth. It does not seem right to take the secret magic that Jedi Knights use and turn it into a cheap commodity for alien consumption.

McIntyre focused a great deal on what an alien looks like and the characteristics of being alien. How alien does a creature have to be before he/she/it becomes interesting? Well, the answer is not how alien it is but how much character he/she/it has. McIntyre became so involved into making aliens more alien she forgot to focus on the character. She even threw in a Centaur for good measure.

McIntyre wrote a book and then simply changed the names of the characters to match the Star Wars universe. It did not work. It was not interesting. It was not even close to the
Star Wars spirit or tradition. The villains weren't villainous enough and the heroes weren't heroic enough.

McIntyre did use the split plot style of the Star Wars universe and in the end all of the characters and events are linked to the grand finale, but by the time I got there I was so glad that it was over, it was merely a finale and there was nothing grand about it. For me the grand finale was when I threw the book away and mailed the cover to Bantam Books with a nasty letter.

Star Wars: The Crystal Star
Star Wars: The Crystal Star by Vonda N. McIntyre (Mass Market Paperback - 1 May 1996)
Used & New from: 0.01