5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously Brilliant!!, 6 Aug 1999
This review is from: Venus Envy (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read this book at least three times and it only gets better. The first time I read it I stayed awake until dawn finishing it. It is a great read not only for those in the life, but for anyone who has a little "secret" of their own. I recommend it highly!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, exciting, makes you ponder,this book is brilliant!, 1 May 1999
This review is from: Venus Envy (Mass Market Paperback)
This book might help you to discover your own truth about life. Every part of the book was marvelous and the ending turned out to be exactly the way I expected. I would like to thank Rita Mae Brown for writing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think before you write, 5 Jun 1997
This review is from: Venus Envy (Mass Market Paperback)
First of all, let me say that Rita Mae Brown is one of my favorite authors. The "Think before you write" summary line is in reference to the actions of the main character in this witty, and sometimes hilarious novel. The only thing that kept it from being a 10 was the rather odd ending that I should let you discover for yourself.

Essentially the book is about a woman who has never quite fit the mold set out for her by her "old south" family, and how she comes to terms with them, and herself.

Ms. Brown has an interesting outlook on life, and especially life in Virginia. Irreverent most of the time, her humor has an interesting bite to it.

I would recommend any of her offerings, and if you especially like mysteries, check out her Sneaky Pie books.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much for Southern gentility, 5 Mar 1999
This review is from: Venus Envy (Mass Market Paperback)
A woman who's played along with the expected stereotypes in a small Virginia town thinks she's dying. So she writes letters to all of her family menbers, revealing that a) she's bisexual, and b) it really *wasn't* so nice knowing them. When her "lung cancer" is re-diagnosed as bronchitis...ALL HADES BREAKS LOOSE. Will it take the intervention of ancient deities to get our heroine back on her feet?

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing Story with an Insight in Southern Culture, 14 Dec 1998
This review is from: Venus Envy (Mass Market Paperback)
Rita Mae Brown is fantastic at creating a well-round up character - in this story it is Frazier. A woman of 35 years who takes a down-to-earth approach of life after discovering that she does not have to die afterall. Frazier, now, evaluates life and her relationships in a different light and discovers who her true friends are after the whole town is talking about her being gay. The novel is very inspiring to the extent of what one chooses to talk about in his/her final moments. It invites you to be true to yourself and to your community. Overall, the book is hard to put down - a lot of laughing throughout the entire story. I read it within a day since I could not stop. Weird ending, however, that is why I did not give it a 5-star rating. After having spent two years in Charlottesville, VA myself this book was a small journey back to this beautiful small town in Central Virginia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep, 8 July 1998
This review is from: Venus Envy (Mass Market Paperback)
This book helped me to summon the nerve to write my own autobigrphy and let other women out there know that they can follow Rita Mae's example and empower themselves using her stories and example. Not content to stay in the trailer, I left my slob of a husband and moved to the communewhere I read other Great Lesbians and think deeply about life, love, and the mystery of the universe.

Venus Envy
Venus Envy by Rita Mae Brown (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Oct 1998)
4.46