5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely good book for SW fans or not - action packed
I rarely give out five stars, but this book raelly deserved it. Zahn did an excellent job from begining to end. Loads of action especially during the battle between Skywalker,Mara, and C'baoth.
Published on 14 Jun. 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but lacking in some areas
A decent conclusion to the Zahn trilogy. A few problems with it though: I found the fact that Fey'lya was still on the new republic counsel after what he did in the last book ridiculous. Also, the ending battles, both in space and in the throne room had some flaws. The smugglers part in the space battle made little sense. As well, Mara destroying both of the...
Published on 11 July 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely good book for SW fans or not - action packed, 14 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Last Command: Book 3 (Star Wars Thrawn trilogy) (Paperback)
Two of my favorit scenes is when Trrawn sends out his elite forces after Leia and her twins. The other is when Luke and Mara battle the literally insane Jedi Master C'baoth.
Lando Calrissian one of the over looked character in the Star Wars books that I've read many has a very impotant part in protecting Leia, as well as the Noghri.I like this part< because it's awesome how Thrawn infiltrates the Rebel base located on Coruscant in the palace of the late emperor Palpatine.
I like the battle between Master C'baoth,Luke, and Mara, because it has a lot of action and an interesting plot turn lots of rock falling. There even a Luke vs. Luke battle. The ending is also very uique, some may say it's simple maybe those of you who like big explosions where the enemy could always survive. However Thrawn's end is pretty up close and personal.
The only thing I can find possibly bad about this series is that Tommothy Zahn and this series may be slightly over rated but I think it's well desrved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping till the end, 8 Aug. 2000
I have just finished reading the empire trilogy. In brief, I can only say that I was transported into the midst of the action with a big tub of popcorn on my knee. TZs writing is second to none - all our favourite characters were there - he captures the ambiance that is Star Wars. Thrawn was so well described you could see him constantly coming out of the shadows with some deadly counter action if you dared to even put the book down for a second (which was practically impossible). As a trilogy, I had to keep all three books together for fear of loosing the continuity. But dont just listen to me rambling on about it, go and buy the books "YOU WILL BUY THE BOOKS!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Perfect-Cheese says "Mr Zahn - Best Star Wars writer", 16 Dec. 1999
By A Customer
Having read all three in this trilogy, obviously, Timothy Zahn really seems to develop the existing characters and introduces very strong new ones, totally in-keeping with the spirit of Star Wars. The books make entertaining reading and would make superb films. Only thing that does bug me though is that Grand Admiral Thrawn, a believable character though he is, seems to know too much about everything that is going on in the galaxy. Mr Zahn does sometimes make a galaxy seem the size of a small village in Devon because the main 'baddie' seems to know what everyone is doing all of the time. Apart from that the books were excellent with a brilliant twist in this last book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please, DO write some more STAR WARS books for us, Mr. Zahn!, 6 Feb. 1998
By A Customer
This trilogy definitely is by far the absolute best stuff I've ever read in my life!
Not one of the other STAR WARS authors did manage to write a story so thrilling and true to the characters of the original as Mr. Zahn did. Perhaps even more so. I must admit that he's a genius. And I'm not a person to say so very often.
Till now I've read about seventeen English STAR WARS books, but after reading this trilogy (I'm reading the books in chronological order), I didn't really believe that someday I would happen to find a better book lying in my hands.
Actually, I never did.
May the force be with you, DANA (Germany)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... Does this guy know his stuff or what?, 26 Oct. 2000
Ian Langford (Cwmbran, Gwent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've got all three versions of this, (paperback/graphic/audio) and aside from listening to Anthony Daniels doing all the other voices on the tape versions, (Absolutely hilarious by the way...) this is one of the best star wars books I've seen so far. I did notice one important mistake though, which was 'how did C'Boath brainwash the clone if he couldn't use the Force?' but even this can't take away from the rest of the book, which truly shows how much effort and attention to detail Zahn put into this. All in all an amazing end to a top notch trilogy which gets better with each book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The war against Thrawn reaches it's surprising conclusion., 3 Nov. 2004
Ian Tapley "thefragrantwookiee" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Five years after 'Return of the Jedi', Grand Admiral Thrawn desires to draw the New Republic into a decisive battle. To that end he launches cloaked asteroids into Coruscant's orbit and the New Republic have no choice but to attempt the theft of an Imperial anti-cloak device. Meanwhile, Han, Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie and Mara undertake a mission to destroy Thrawn's cloning facility on Wayland. However, the insane Jedi Joruus C'baoth awaits them avidly.

This book has all of the great elements of the previous two, dramatic action, subtle military strategy, political tension and extensive character development. The climatic Battle of Bilbringi is an unmissable Star Wars moment, recalling elements of the Emperor's 'surprise' in 'Return of the Jedi'. My favourite part of this book is where the New Republic's heroes defy their government to break Mara out of imprisonment, an act of faith in her that causes some dramatic development of her character. The confrontation in the Mount Tantiss throne room also brilliantly captures the atmosphere of 'RotJ', but with C'baoth's minion proving to be a welcome surprise (I won't give away details, but it's one of the best handlings of this sort of thing happening to a main character that I've read).

Thrawn's end, although entirely fitting, was somewhat abrupt and the otherwise excellent battle scene therefore also ended too abruptly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece really..............nothing else, 5 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
This book is the last in the trilogy (Heir to the empire, Dark force rising, Last Command). And is really worth of being the last book. Usually are the last ones in the trilogy the best ones and this one fits it the most. Couldn't be better.
Here are all well known characters from the part II of this trilogy: Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Lando Calrissian, Jedi Master C'Baoth, Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, Karrde, ...... Some of them die in the end (the bad guys only - darn :) ), but none of the good guys (and girls).
This is the part, where the rebels find out that Grand Admiral Thrawn is using clones and they must stop him or they will die (rebels doesn't have so many soldiers than the Empire has clones). That is why they have to go to the dragons nest where the clones are produced. There they meet Jedi Master C'Baoth who made a clone of Luke Skywalker (from Luke Skywalker's hand which he left in the Cloud City). And then Luke fights against his clone. Mara Jade saves Luke and kills the clone and together they destroy C'Baoth.
This book really keeps you reading and you just can't stop. Once I found myself reading it till 4 am. I had to go to work at 5 am. This means only one hour sleep, but I didn't miss it. Not with this good story. Timothy Zahn really did a splended job.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE GRIPPING CONCLUSION TO THE #1 BEST-SELLING SAGA!, 8 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
The Empire, now under the command of Grand Admiral Thrawn, is producing cloned enemy fighters from an unknown origin. On Coruscant, the heart of the Rebellion, Leia Organa Solo is fighting an unseen enemy: Delta Source, a secret listening system developed by the Empire. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker has traveled to the city Calius, in hope of finding the source or any information leading to the cloning that is threatening the very survival of the Rebellion. On Corusscant, Leia finds a new source of informatmion that is very helpful, but her luck does not hold out. The Empire attacks Coruscant, releasing cloaked man-made asteroids into Coruscant's atmosphere. Luke Skywalker, Lando Calrissian, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Mara Jade, C-3PO, and R2-D2, set out to Wayland, the location of the cloning fortress, to destroy it. As the story continures, the four humans, one Wookie, and two droids find dangers at every corner. As the team continure their search on Wayland, they finally find the cloning wharehouse. They eneter without any problems, only to find the cloned Jedi Master C'baoth waiting for them! As the two Jedi, mara and Luke, find themselves fighting the insane Jedi Master, the rest of the team are trying to find a way to destroy the fortress before it's too late.

5.0 out of 5 stars And finally..., 16 Oct. 1999
Derek Smith (Louth, Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
You've finished re-establishing yourself in Lucas' universe in 'Heir to the Empire', you've completed your Bothan studies in 'Dark Force Rising', and now, you're about to place the icing on the cake in Zahn's thrilling climax - 'The last Command'. Well don't hesitate. The tables have turned once again, and spinning that table is the hand of Thrawn. The Empire has risen to power once again, and what seemed like an unsavoury clean-up process for the Rebellion has once again erupted into full scale war. Zahn's third installment is a wonderfull read, as characters genuinley come of age, they develop before the mids eye, maturing, learning, and often compromising, and this is exactly what makes 'The last Command' the finale it needed to be. I'm sure you don't need to be persuaded any more, but here's a thought. A Grand Admiral with the sheer genius of Thrawn... an almost poetic knack of out-smarting opponents, a character with some of the most fantastically strategic and ingenious tactics that ever graced a novel... then think how clever you must have to be to orchestrate the every though of a character like that. Well done Timothy Zahn... may the force be with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Star Wars book, 5 July 1998
By A Customer
This was the very first Star Wars book I ever bought. It first attracted me because it talked about the twins being born. I bought the book, and even though I didn't know who half the characters were (because being the genius I am, I bought the last book of the trilogy), I was immediately hooked. Thrawn's personality was bone-chilling, because even though he didn't like to waste the lives of his crew, he could still be incredibly ruthless. Mara Jade was my favorite character, and she always will be. I loved her because of the fact that after all she's been through, she still has the courage and the guts to stand up for herself and save the day when Luke starts to get a little wussy. Plus, she's a smartass woman that can do anything that any of the other men can. After finishing this book, I went out and bough the others in this series, and after that, I started buying more and more books. My only complaint--I wish I had found them earlier.

The Last Command: Book 3 (Star Wars Thrawn trilogy)
The Last Command: Book 3 (Star Wars Thrawn trilogy) by Timothy Zahn (Paperback - 1 Jan. 1980)