5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... Does this guy know his stuff or what?
Published on 26 Oct 2000 by Ian Langford

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but lacking in some areas
A decent conclusion to the Zahn trilogy. A few problems with it though: I found the fact that Fey'lya was still on the new republic counsel after what he did in the last book ridiculous. Also, the ending battles, both in space and in the throne room had some flaws. The smugglers part in the space battle made little sense. As well, Mara destroying both of the...
Published on 11 July 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... Does this guy know his stuff or what?, 26 Oct 2000
Ian Langford (Cwmbran, Gwent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've got all three versions of this, (paperback/graphic/audio) and aside from listening to Anthony Daniels doing all the other voices on the tape versions, (Absolutely hilarious by the way...) this is one of the best star wars books I've seen so far. I did notice one important mistake though, which was 'how did C'Boath brainwash the clone if he couldn't use the Force?' but even this can't take away from the rest of the book, which truly shows how much effort and attention to detail Zahn put into this. All in all an amazing end to a top notch trilogy which gets better with each book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping till the end, 8 Aug 2000
I have just finished reading the empire trilogy. In brief, I can only say that I was transported into the midst of the action with a big tub of popcorn on my knee. TZs writing is second to none - all our favourite characters were there - he captures the ambiance that is Star Wars. Thrawn was so well described you could see him constantly coming out of the shadows with some deadly counter action if you dared to even put the book down for a second (which was practically impossible). As a trilogy, I had to keep all three books together for fear of loosing the continuity. But dont just listen to me rambling on about it, go and buy the books "YOU WILL BUY THE BOOKS!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Perfect-Cheese says "Mr Zahn - Best Star Wars writer", 16 Dec 1999
By A Customer
Having read all three in this trilogy, obviously, Timothy Zahn really seems to develop the existing characters and introduces very strong new ones, totally in-keeping with the spirit of Star Wars. The books make entertaining reading and would make superb films. Only thing that does bug me though is that Grand Admiral Thrawn, a believable character though he is, seems to know too much about everything that is going on in the galaxy. Mr Zahn does sometimes make a galaxy seem the size of a small village in Devon because the main 'baddie' seems to know what everyone is doing all of the time. Apart from that the books were excellent with a brilliant twist in this last book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely good book for SW fans or not - action packed, 14 Jun 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Last Command: Book 3 (Star Wars Thrawn trilogy) (Paperback)
I rarely give out five stars, but this book raelly deserved it. Zahn did an excellent job from begining to end. Loads of action especially during the battle between Skywalker,Mara, and C'baoth.
Two of my favorit scenes is when Trrawn sends out his elite forces after Leia and her twins. The other is when Luke and Mara battle the literally insane Jedi Master C'baoth.
Lando Calrissian one of the over looked character in the Star Wars books that I've read many has a very impotant part in protecting Leia, as well as the Noghri.I like this part< because it's awesome how Thrawn infiltrates the Rebel base located on Coruscant in the palace of the late emperor Palpatine.
I like the battle between Master C'baoth,Luke, and Mara, because it has a lot of action and an interesting plot turn lots of rock falling. There even a Luke vs. Luke battle. The ending is also very uique, some may say it's simple maybe those of you who like big explosions where the enemy could always survive. However Thrawn's end is pretty up close and personal.
The only thing I can find possibly bad about this series is that Tommothy Zahn and this series may be slightly over rated but I think it's well desrved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please, DO write some more STAR WARS books for us, Mr. Zahn!, 6 Feb 1998
By A Customer
This trilogy definitely is by far the absolute best stuff I've ever read in my life!
Not one of the other STAR WARS authors did manage to write a story so thrilling and true to the characters of the original as Mr. Zahn did. Perhaps even more so. I must admit that he's a genius. And I'm not a person to say so very often.
Till now I've read about seventeen English STAR WARS books, but after reading this trilogy (I'm reading the books in chronological order), I didn't really believe that someday I would happen to find a better book lying in my hands.
Actually, I never did.
May the force be with you, DANA (Germany)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 28 Jan 2014
This is what I expected, even If Luke is so tearful and naive. Anyway it is a good story not for SW maniacs only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 May 2013
Seb Robinson (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent book finishing off the Thrawn trilogy brilliantly. A must have for star wars fans. The Thrawn trilogy have been my first star wars novels and i highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, 21 Mar 2013
I chose this rating as the book was exactly as described and it arrived within 5 days of purchase, unfortunately it has arrived before second volume of the trilogy so have been unable to read yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The war against Thrawn reaches it's surprising conclusion., 3 Nov 2004
Ian Tapley "thefragrantwookiee" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Five years after 'Return of the Jedi', Grand Admiral Thrawn desires to draw the New Republic into a decisive battle. To that end he launches cloaked asteroids into Coruscant's orbit and the New Republic have no choice but to attempt the theft of an Imperial anti-cloak device. Meanwhile, Han, Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie and Mara undertake a mission to destroy Thrawn's cloning facility on Wayland. However, the insane Jedi Joruus C'baoth awaits them avidly.

This book has all of the great elements of the previous two, dramatic action, subtle military strategy, political tension and extensive character development. The climatic Battle of Bilbringi is an unmissable Star Wars moment, recalling elements of the Emperor's 'surprise' in 'Return of the Jedi'. My favourite part of this book is where the New Republic's heroes defy their government to break Mara out of imprisonment, an act of faith in her that causes some dramatic development of her character. The confrontation in the Mount Tantiss throne room also brilliantly captures the atmosphere of 'RotJ', but with C'baoth's minion proving to be a welcome surprise (I won't give away details, but it's one of the best handlings of this sort of thing happening to a main character that I've read).

Thrawn's end, although entirely fitting, was somewhat abrupt and the otherwise excellent battle scene therefore also ended too abruptly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!!!, 7 July 2001
By A Customer
It's a classic example of writing at its best. anybody who is a Star Wars fan will love it but it's easy to understand if you are not already a fan(MAD!!), but you must read the first two books in the Thrawn Trilogy.

The Last Command: Book 3 (Star Wars Thrawn trilogy)
The Last Command: Book 3 (Star Wars Thrawn trilogy) by Timothy Zahn (Paperback - 1 Jan 1980)
4.70