5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good read!
I didn't really expect to like this book. Afterall, what could be so compelling about some guy who started a bunch of discount stores in Arkansas? Boy, was I wrong. This book is a jewel. It's a must read for anyone in business, whether a small business or a big corporation. You'll never look at a store the same way again after you read this book. You can easily...
Published on 14 May 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Self-serving autobio of a truly great entrepreneur
Walton's story is certainly worth reading. He built a business - now the biggest in the world - that can only be described as the work of a genius.

The great virtue of this book is the portrait of his mind: he was utterly obsessed with retailing and bent a truly formidable energy to think about it at almost every working hour of the day. It may sound corny, but...
Published on 28 Aug 2011 by rob crawford

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and a good read too., 10 Jan 2005
Richard Hammond (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sam Walton : Made in America My Story (Mass Market Paperback)
See, Sam Walton - always offering good value: this book is as entertaining an autobiography as it is an inspiring manual for retailers. Sam is the most instinctive judge of people the business world has ever known. He knew how to motivate and to inspire both employees and customers. I would have loved to have met him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trully inspirational, 3 Oct 2013
I have loved reading about Sam Walton. A detailed and honest account of his life .
The book is great, I look forward to reading other books about his life and work.

4.0 out of 5 stars He did a lot, 26 Sep 2013
Created 400,000 jobs and enabled millions of Americans to get products they want at prices they want. Guys like Sam Walton are the ones who make this world a better place to live in. This is the story of the man who created the US retail giant Wal-Mart.

5.0 out of 5 stars a really interesting insight, 13 Aug 2013
This book is a great insight into how Walmart was built one store and one customer at a time. It just shows what hard work, talent and drive can achieve!

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 rules that worked for Sam and will work for you, 16 July 2013
Luke Johnson, the entrepreneur behind Pizza Express and former head of Channel 4, is a compulsive reader and he warmly recommended Made in America by Sam Walton. For years I resisted the chance to read the story of the man who made Walmart and boy was I wrong.

Quite simply this is a brilliant manual on what you need to do to be a successful independent retailer. In one chapter on thinking small, Walton says: "I always wanted to be the best retailer in the world, not the biggest."

In 1960 in a newspaper article called Success Story of the Year it described how he and his family and managers had built up a nine strong chain of variety stores. He told the paper that nine was as big as it could get as it was as many as he could supervise.

Most readers don't need to worry how he moved beyond nine to become the biggest retailer in history (he did this by hiring and inspiring great people). What they need to recognise is that Walton remained a great independent retailer till the end of his life.

"If we ever forget that looking a customer in the eye and greeting him or her and asking politely if we can be of help is just as important...today...then we just ought to go into a different business because we'll never survive in this one," he says.

He provides lots of advice for success but notes that they are all just "common sense and most of them can be found in any number of books or articles on management theory - many of which I've read and studied over the years".

His 10 rules for success are prefaced with a few extra ideas such as:

· Work hard

· Build a team

· Have goals and always set them high.

My favourite rule today (tomorrow it could be different) is:

Rule 8: EXCEED your customers' expectations. If you do, they'll come back over and over. Give them what they want-and a little more. Let them know you appreciate them. Make good on all your mistakes, and don't make excuses-apologise. Stand behind everything you do. The two most important words I ever wrote were on that first Wal-Mart sign: `Satisfaction guaranteed.' They're still up there, and they have made all the difference."

I also loved his tips on not buying "other people's inefficiencies" and always remembering that "we are agents for our customers".

He started out competing with the big firms and won. He says he never put anyone out of business. His competitor's customers "were the ones who shut him down. They voted with their feet."

What to do: "Most independents are best off, I think, doing what I prided myself on doing for so many years as a storekeeper: getting out on the floor and meeting every one of the customers. Let them know how much you appreciate them, and ring that cash register yourself. That little personal touch is so important for an independent merchant because no matter how hard Wal-Mart tries to duplicate it-and we try awfully hard- we can't really do it."

The book is simply brilliant. It is a manual for success. Ignore the title. This is How to be a brilliant retailer. Breathless prose. Read it today.

Read more at [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 1 July 2013
A good insight into what made the man and the business a success, gives any budding business person a few good ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars impressive, interesting and informative, 2 May 2013
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The autobiography of Sam Walton, a one-off in his life-time and something of a business guru. Sam enjoyed the retail business and spent his life immersed in its study and execution, building an empire of over 2000 stores. His account is homely and based on his small town upbringing and values, which never left him. It is enjoyable as a biography and, as such a good read - Sam Walton is a good talker and has an interesting tale to tell, but within it, there are many nuggets of business wisdom and much to learn from such as thinking small and making the customer the centre of the universe, as it were. We all talk about this, but rarely make a study of it, or practice, as much as Sam seems to have done. One could be cynical. and there is much criticism of his methods and practice, but I finished the book believing that this is a businessman one can learn from and emulate, to a great extent, without ever having to sell your soul. An impressive read that I enjoyed enormously.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a really informative insight into the philsophy of Sam Walton and how he made this work in practice, 19 Mar 2013
I really appreciate the thought processes of Sam Walton and there are elements I believe I can utilise to improve myself and my business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book if you are in the £ or $ lines, 24 Dec 2012
Moe Nawaz (United Kingdon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SAM WALTON/WALMART (Hardcover)
This man mastered and built the worlds largest retail stores and was the worlds richest man without knowing. A must read for any one in retail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 2 Nov 2012
Monti (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Very easy to read, highly engaging, and full of great business ideas drawing on Sam Walton's years of experience. A real gem.

Sam Walton : Made in America My Story
Sam Walton : Made in America My Story by John Huey (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Jun 1993)