Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 8 July 1998
I loved this story because it had more to it than just romance. It was at times hilarious, sad, and romantic. Being a southerner, I enjoyed "hearing" the language and strange words that we use. Deborah Smith is the best storyteller of all time.
on 20 May 1998
At one time, Venus Arinelli was a highly regarded classical piano protégée. That abruptly ended when her father was convicted of killing a federal judge. Now she and her sister barely eke out a living playing in the only places that will hire them, the worst dives in the country. The Arinelli siblings have no future.
Gib Cameron shows up at the current Chicago bar that the sisters are working. He offers them a strange deal. If they come to his family's inn and help persuade his relatives not to sell the place, without asking any questions about the source he will give them the $100,000 that their father entrusted with his now deceased parents. Desperate for the cash, Venus accepts the offer, not knowing that she will soon fall in love with her new employer even as she refuses to trust anyone. Gib has his own agenda, but finds himself also in love.
Though WHEN VENUS FELL is very humorous and has several touching characters, readers will have to suspend plausibility to accept the overall premise of the story line. Anyone who can make this grand canyon leap of faith will enjoy Deborah Smith's contemporary romance. However, readers must understand that this book falls a bit short of Ms. Smith's classic A PLACE TO CALL HOME.

Harriet Klausner
on 16 December 1998
This is the first story by Deborah Smith that I have read, and at first the first person point of view took getting used to, but I quickly got involved and interested in the story. The characters in the book are well-developed and the remembrances of the past are easily woven into the story in such a way that they don't interfere with keeping the present-day story on track. It is also a great love story between Venus and Gib, as well as a great read with the very interesting Arinelli sisters and even more interesting characters in the Cameron family. Definitely an enjoyable reading/romance adventure.
on 16 May 1998
I really couldn't call this book a romance because it dealt more with families and the complex connection between kin than any two people and their developing relationship. What brings these two unlikely lovers together happens to be the sometimes tenuous, sometimes steely and always unfathomable ties that unite families. Witty dialogue that snapped and sped along, sometimes brilliant characterization, and a list of fascinating characters that kept me turning the pages until the end, made the book a wonderful read as well as a pleasant surprise. -- Heather Heath, Reviewer, Old Book Barn Gazette
on 16 July 1998
This was my first book by Deborah Smith and I loved it. I believed in the families and the characters. The story was beautifully told and the ending left me feeling happy and satisfied. Venus's journey through life believing in Gib and finally meeting up with him was the perfect thread that pulled everything together. I have now started A PLACE TO CALL HOME and I can tell Deborah Smith is becoming a new favorite author for me.
on 18 December 1998
This was the first book I read by Deborah Smith, and I was so impressed! Venus was the perfect main character, because she was so wonderfully different. The entire cast of characters were amazing, and I loved the beautiful setting. If you have not read anything by Smith, I strongly recommend this book. It is so wonderful!!! You will not be able to put it down!!! Good Job, Deborah!!!
on 2 August 1998
Smith brings two disparate characters, Venus and Gib, to life and together in the midst of a cast of characters one could find only in the hills of Appalachia. Pride, heritage, sadness and humor combine in a treasure of a book. The belly button ring leads to one of the biggest surprises in character development that I've seen in a novel.
on 5 September 1998
Deborah Smith writes strong stories that bring an element of romance to literary fiction.

The Tennessee Mountains offering a spiritual and healing lesson to two families that are so intertwined by history and tradition.

It is a strong story that touches many levels of the American experience.
on 9 October 1998
I adored this book. I didn't know if the author could top her last incredible read--A Place To Call Home--but this book absolutely won my heart. The "bear" scene alone was worth the price of the hardcover. I can't wait for Deb's next effort!
on 27 July 1998
This book was a bittersweet love story, it made me go through many emotions and kept my interest. I can hardly wait for her next novel.