Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 August 1999
The first time I read about Dr. Myss' theories, I went "Aha! This makes sense!" According to Dr. Myss, the reason people often don't get well is because the energy they need to focus on healing, gets used up dwelling on the past. The author, a medical intuitive, believes that if people would reclaim thier soul from the entanglement of past issues, they would have the capacity to generate more personal healing power. Makes perfect sense to me. If you are struggling with an illness and want some guidance in how to reconnect with your precious energy sources, read "Why People Don't Heal."
on 12 February 1999
After reading only a little more than half this book, I have already seen changes in my life. This is a must-read for anyone seeking to participate in repairing one's mind, body and spirit as a whole. While many of her concepts may seem a little unorthodox, she is right on target! Her down to earth advice on forgiveness and releasing the ill thoughts we have toward others will inspire you to look at your relationships in a totally different light. Her ideas on how we wear our past wounds like badges and how we can become a victim of our past, instead of getting on with our lives and realizing that we are far more than our wounds, more than our past failings, is truly inspirational. Not necessarily a religious book, she speaks of spirituality and incorporates the best of all religions. Since reading this book, I have turned to a daily practice of calming myself before sleep by listening to soft music, regulating my breathing and thinking about absolutely--nothing. I have experienced restful sleep, a more optimistic outlook during the workday, an increase in energy and have said silent prayers for strangers. I can't say enough about how positively this book has effected my life.
on 6 November 2012
Caroline explains that we hold onto wounds because we're driven to by tribal thinking. By doing this we're effectively draining our energy away and this can make us unhappy or even ill. The way to switch off the tap is to rid yourself of wounds and the language of wounds - Woundology as Caroline calls it. You do this by changing from Tribal to Symbolic Sight. An extremely insightful book and a much healthier way of living - don't feel sorry for yourself, love yourself and heal yourself. Brilliant!
on 1 February 2004
A few years ago I read Anatomy of Spirit by Caroline Myss and really felt it spoke to me where I needed to hear it. So I was pleased to get chance to read this book. Perhaps I'm in a different state nowadays (many years of therapy further along now) but I found this book irritated me whenever Dr Myss sounded particularly proscriptive about the kinds of changes that individuals needed. It's my understanding that the person needs to find their own meaning and solutions whereas all too often this book portrayed a rather self righteous or sanctimonious attitude whenever a person had declined to follow Dr Myss' proscribed advice. Nevertheless, I've gone on to read Sacred Contracts and enjoyed that too, simply read them both with some reservations.
on 18 December 1998
I am a Chi Gung master and a Shaman with over 30 years experience in esoteric healing and energy work and I spend most of my time working with and healing plants, animals, and people around the clock and as an intuitive healer myself, I recognize Caroline's skill and methods as very beneficial for any healer. I highly recommend this book to anybody who wants to gain a deeper insight into who they are and how the healing process can work.
on 18 May 2011
I found this book to be great in helping me understand the chakra system and explaining how healng is actually a conscious choice which is made within an individual's psyche. The more we are connected to our past and have attachments to material things the more our life force is drained from us cutting us off from new experiences which slows down the healing process of our body and mind. Myss has researched this for a number of years and has done well in explaining her story and the methods she and her patients have found useful in healing themselves from their illnesses. A great read!
on 6 January 1999
Be sure to read the introduction! Myss parallels the symbolism of the sacraments of the Christian church, the Tree of Life of the Kabbalistic tradition and the Hindu chakras. The Tribal, Individual and Symbolic ages are explained. The archetypes, made widely known to us by Jung, are uplifted as a way to see the events of our lives in symbolic terms. The 3-page Epilogue "Snow White and the Seven Chakras" might be read first as another introduction to the scope of the messages of this book, then re-read as a review. Many personal stores are recounted, including Myss' own healing experience, as examples of the principles cited. This book is uplifting and informative. It ties together things we have read in many other books into a helpful whole.
on 25 March 1998
As a registered nurse I have always been fascinated with healing and why some people are able to surmount incredible odds to revcover from life threatening illness. Carolyn uses her knowledge as a medical intuitive to direct us to break out of condiioined thoughts/behaviors and examine how they interplay with somatic illness.
on 11 October 2012
This book is proving to be very helpful to me to understand why people get ill, what stops them from recovering and also the part I like is how to move forward with actually healing a visible or invisible illness. A very good book for anyone who is interested in becoming more empowered to change the way we will at illness as individuals and as a society.
on 8 March 2016
I love Caroline Myss' work and this book gave an incredible insight into illness and why we don't heal. I learned so much and have changed my way of thinking and being as a consequence. The information is mind blowing, but simply presented in a way that everyone can understand and get amazing and helpful life information....IF you want to heal.