5.0 out of 5 stars I kept putting off reading this book because I was busy
Published on 15 Dec 2007 by Ja. Boowles

2.0 out of 5 stars APPARENTLY DID NOT TRY HARD ENOUGH
Lee Child is not a bad writer when it comes to airplane novels. Killing Floor and Tripwire are quite good books. However, DIE TRYING I found wanting in many aspects.

Published on 10 Nov 2009 by NeuroSplicer

2.0 out of 5 stars APPARENTLY DID NOT TRY HARD ENOUGH, 10 Nov 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)

Without spoiling it for anyone I will just say that the plot is totally unbelievable - well beyond any possible suspension of disbelief. The coincidences are just too many, the reactions of the White House absolutely uncharacteristic and the response of the FBI against every procedural guideline. And the hero is too damn lucky!

For over 100 pages he manages to walk in, out and around the (alerted!) enemy encampment as he pleases. He explores, loots, escapes again and again, rescues, assassinates and saves the day with no trouble. Sure, he is Jack Reacher - but shouldn't the reader be even a little inclined to follow the story without rolling his eyes?

Finally, if one is not inclined to read the most minutiae details of how every single gun is designed, engineered and fired (from the firing pin hitting the bullet, to its path down the striated barrel and the release of the heated gases!), this is not a book I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars I kept putting off reading this book because I was busy, 15 Dec 2007
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)
but the minute I started reading it I was totally and utterly glued to every page. It has to be one of the most exciting books I have ever read. This is a fast-moving account of a man who gets caught up in a kidnapping. The victim is not an ordinary citizen, however, but a beautiful female FBI agent. And our hero, unwittingly kidnapped at the same time, also has an unusual and highly useful background, having spent most of his life in the military police. The kidnapper is not after money--he is a highly dangerous and psychotic ki11er, and each page of this book gradually reveals the terrible truth about this man and his motivation. The hero has a highly detailed knowledge of weaponry, which is of great assistance in the story, but which could be confusing to the average reader. However, such detail, in my opinion, merely adds to the extraordinary suspense which builds up as Lee Child unravels his plot. You have to read this book--but you will wish you hadn't, because you will not be able to stop!!! I would also recommend reading Tino Georgiou's masterpiece--The Fates--if you haven't read it yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb page-turner that won't let you go..., 17 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)
This is such a fantastic book - I was hooked from the first sentence right through to the end. The author is a master at building suspense and the hits just keep on coming with a book I find impossible to fault. The hero of the book, Jack Reacher is in the wrong place at the wrong time and is taken hostage with an FBI agent - but there's more to this than meets the eye and its going to take all their skill and cunning to come out of this in one piece. Please, do yourself a favour - write off a weekend and read this book - you'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read in ages, 16 May 2006
Niamh O'leary (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)
This is the first Lee Child or Jack Reacher I have read and I couldnt put it down, I am now addicted and have bought three more. This novel is suspence from start to finish and you cant help but wonder if there is any real life Jack Reacher. He reminds me of "Joe Pike" in Robert Craiss' "Elvis Cole" novels. Hes' just super cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely amazing!!!!!, 19 Feb 2002
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)
AT LAST !!!!! A book featuring a real man! I first read The Visitor and liked it, then bought this one....wow!!!!!!! is all I can say. Chilld just knows how to write action in a way that will have anyone gripped. I read the four other current books in three days (I have two jobs) so that will give you some idea as to how gripping they are. This book was my favourite by far. Why? I guess the whole gung Ho macho-ness of fighting militia in the woods mixed with some healthy sexual chemistry has got to be explosive. Reacher is the most amazing character, flawed, funny, strong, intelligent but also believable. By far the best books I have ever read for un-put-down-ility. If they don't make these books into films then Hollywood is crazy. If they can get someone who will play Reacher as I imagine him then they will be in with a hit.
I really can't say enough about this book and have read it three times so far. Sad? Nah, see for yourself just how good an MP can be...girls...you'll fall !

1.0 out of 5 stars Review, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)
Ive read all Jack Reacher novels and they all seem excellent but this is by far the worst. Shockingly bad storyline. You know what will happen from page 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it all in one go..., 2 Feb 2008
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)
Beginning with an unfortunate coincidence, Jack Reacher is accidentally kidnapped along with an injured (female) FBI agent... so of course he will forego escape until she can escape too. As the kidnapped pair are taken across America to be held hostage, the FBI are trying to get back their star agent, convinced that Reacher is one of the bad guys.

Really enjoyed this, the second in the series which I have read, found the details convincing and the plot clever and unpredictable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)
I have now read 5 or 6 Reacher books, but this is the best I've read and the first I've wanted to write a review for. This is the only one where I felt Reacher was outnumbered, out of his depth, and even though you knew he'd come through by the end there was enough uncertainty to keep it edgey.

3.0 out of 5 stars Extreme but enjoyable, 4 May 2007
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)
This story concerns some crazed Montana militia (no lawyers or TV presenters as suggested by the review below, which I think may refer to the more recent One Shot). All the familiar Reacher elements are here along with an appearance by a familiar supporting character, and if you've enjoyed others in the series then this one certainly delivers. The feeling of suspense is expertly maintained and despite some basic plot holes (I mean, in any other book, Reacher could get himself out of this mess within the first couple of pages!) it is very enjoyable.

But if you haven't read any others, this isn't the one to start with, as it may just seem that little bit ludicrous. Come back when you've read One Shot and you're so hooked you'll believe anything...

3.0 out of 5 stars A Jack Reacher Novel - Book 2, 4 Feb 2010
Mr. William Oxley "oxenblocks" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)
Not a cracking read as book 1 - Killing Floor, where the continuous action keeps you on your toes. Here the action is infrequent and the story unfolds rather slowly.

Jack Reacher unwittingly is involved in the kidnapping of an FBI agent with a dodgy knee, and this makes escape with her, difficult.

Arriving at their final destination the boss reveals his new kingdom to Reacher, rather than merely execute him. And his guards are easily swayed with mind tricks that allows Jack to wonder around the compound.

All the real action takes place in the final few chapters, but there is little in the way of surprises that create a gripping climax.

I am already on to Book 3 (Tripwire) and this is proving to be much more exciting. Maybe domestic terrorism in the US just did not interest me that much.

Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2)
Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) by Lee Child (Paperback - 1 April 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01