5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for those seeking to heal themselves
Published on 3 Jan 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely contains great, unconventional wisdom
This was my first book by Carolyn Myss after I saw a video of one of her workshops and wanted to know more.
The basic propositions of the book are:
=> Body, mind and spirit are connected. Our spirit records every thought and emotion and all experiences manifest in our body.
Published 18 months ago by Manuela Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for those seeking to heal themselves, 3 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Anatomy Of The Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing (Paperback)
Caroline Myss provides an easy to follow guide to how the energies that lie within our bodies influence our physical and mental health. The book provides information on the various energy centres of the body with descriptions of how our experiences and attitudes are reflected in each energy centre, and ultimately in our health. This is a book which will change the way we view our bodies, our minds and spirits as it gives a basis for the theory that our every thought influences our physical state and can, in fact, create disease. Myss is renowned for abilities as a medical intuitive and no doubt has become the authority on this subject. A must read for anyone who wants to understand the nature of their spirits as well as those on the path to wellness.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was enlightening and a pure pleasure to read., 23 Nov 2000
I love this book. In fact I could not put it down between reading sessions. Caroline Myss has written a book that has made me feel as if I've 'come home'. I feel that I have better clarity in my life and a greater understanding of myself and of other people. I have done alot of personal growth in the last few years but never has one book made such an impact on my spiritual journey. Anyone who is on a personal mission to find out what thier purpose is, should not miss this book. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anatomy for the modern age, 26 April 2001
John A Storey (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Caroline Myss describes herself as a medical intuitive. This book is a summation of her insights and conclusions gained over 14 years of practising and teaching others. She describes her own extraordinary experiences which first led her to commit to this work, and how study and a gruelling schedule of workshops finally led her to teaching others how to "read" their own health. The book scores well in establishing and explaining its own language, drawing together 3 rich religious traditions and showing how each of them describe a central truth about the journey of spiritual growth. She compares the Hindu teaching of the seven chakras, the seven Christian sacraments and the ten points of the Tree of Life described in the Kabbalah, the mystical tradition of Judaism. Although there are ten points to the Tree of Life, Caroline Myss shows that some of these points are properly paired, so that they too describe seven stages of spiritual development, each with its own sacred truth. The majority of the book takes each chakra or stage in turn, describing the ways in which we are called to develop at each level, and the physical symptoms which can arise when we fail to heed this call. I found the book rich in insight and wisdom. Where the book worked particularly well for me was the frequent use of examples from real life case histories, relating intuitive images to the circumstances of the patient's life, and how the patient had subsequently healed, or sometimes how they had failed to heal. This format made it easy to draw parallels and comparisons with one's own life or that of friends. The unsentimental and scientific attitude of the author also helped to encourage the same detached approach for me as a reader. There is much food for thought contained here, whether you consider yourself healthy or not. Along the way, the book has many interesting things to say about the development and use of intuition, which Caroline Myss graphically describes as "symbolic sight", and the spiritual journey in general. I felt that the end of the book was a little disappointing. The guidance for the reader - a daily meditation which amounts to a personal health check - comes only in the form of a very brief "afterword". A lot of information has gone before, but a more thorough description, and perhaps some examples of how people have helped themselves in this way, would have offered me more encouragement to do the very thing that the book aims to promote. But this is a minor point, and perhaps experience with the meditation would be worth more than a few more pages of description. Overall, I heartily recommend this book, a thought-provoking read in an engaging style.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful yet flawed, like the modern human, 24 May 2005
For me, picking up this book for the first time was yet another giant leap in my own personal development. A real page turner. I've never enjoyed reading this much in a long time. I had no idea I was so interesting. Caroline Myss presents great insights into the human psyche with this book. So much rang true. Her methodology appears very well practised and I continue to learn so much every day from the age old concepts disclosed kept in mind. Where I believe Anatomy of the Spirit lacks, however, is when it comes to the Chakras. I'm sticking my neck out here as the orthodox view would conflict with mine, but how can the base chakra be the logical starting point for spiritual development? Does your crown chakra really have higher status than the chakras below? Merely understanding (true first chakra) the path down through the chakras enabled the rest of my development to feel so natural. So many questions stem from this book. That is why I rate it so highly. This, and the follow up Sacred Contracts. 4 big stars for this one. My journey continues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful journey into our own role in living healthily, 29 May 2001
By A Customer
Dr Myss reveals our body as the complex relationship between our physical, mental and spiritual selves, and describes how teachings from christianity, buddhism and the ancient kabala converge in identifying the points of conflict in our lives. This book offers a path of self exploration and self discovery that may lead us to heal our ailings and live life to the full. Most enlightening, and devoid of jargon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely contains great, unconventional wisdom, 11 Jan 2013
The basic propositions of the book are:
=> The human body contains 7 energy centers (chakras), each containing a life lesson we must learn when we evolve towards higher consciousness.
=> This has been known across the ages as sacred truths, and the teachings of the major religions (Judaic, Christian, Hindu and Buddhist) contain this. (She says she does not feel comfortable enough in her knowledge about Islam to include it)
=> Disease manifests when the energy flow in an energy center is disrupted, e.g. when negative thoughts have become dominant (p.43). Each energy centre relates to specific organs.
=> Carolyn Myss is a medical intuitive who can interpret the presence as well as the emotional and psychological causes of illness via the human energy field, often before they manifest.
=> We can heal ourselves when we understand the lesson contained in the disease and change accordingly.

Carolyn Myss first describes her personal path of how she became a medical intuitive, and then explains the seven sacred truths as corresponding to the chakra system together with countless examples of people she met and helped.

I find this book very enriching for the wisdom it contains, and I truly respect Carolyn Myss for the work she does, specifically in supporting conventional M.D.s whose diagnostic tools often don't suffice.

The reason for why I only give three stars:
As a psychologist, I definitely agree that emotional and spiritual stresses cause physical illness, and I believe western society in particular has a lot to learn still in this field. However, I disagree with her notion (p.6) that "her insights have shown her that this is the case for all physical illness". This neglects genetic, environmental and maybe unstructured variables, and can be judgmental towards people who are terminally ill. For people who want to contemplate on this notion, I recommend Ken Wilber's book "Grace and Grit" which is the story of a genuinely loving person on the path to spiritual enlightened who, in spite of countless traditional and non-traditional treatments and sincere personal efforts, dies 5 years after her diagnosis of breast cancer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Spiritual Health, 11 July 2003
Caroline Myss explains the human energy system in a comprehensible and easy to follow manner. This is a book that you have to buy - not borrow - as it is something you would want to refer to regularly. Caroline explains the Chakra system and provides an in depth account of how various health issues stem from emotional, psychological and spiritual sources. An absolute MUST for those interested in the esoteric.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could only have one book this would be it!, 22 Jan 2001
By A Customer
Borrowed this amazing book from a friend and now have to buy it. This is definitely one to read for the person who is interested in spiritual growth. Caroline's explanation of the Chakras is the best I've come across and I was able to easily identify the Chakra I need to work on .

5.0 out of 5 stars Anatomy of the Spirit - The seven stages of power and healing, 19 Sep 2010
A must read for all in their spiritual/self awareness journies. Such insight into ourselves can only make the world a better place whilst learning to appreciate the gifts we have to offer and how to heal the parts damaged by our own baggage.
An amazing trip and essential reference book in anybodys collection. Well anybody who is brave enough!
God Bless Caroline Myss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anatomy of the Spirit, 12 July 2010
I knew when I came across this book that it would have a profound effect on me. It's one of those books that gives you another way of looking at things which deepens your understanding of life. It's also easy to read. Definitely one for the bookcase.

Anatomy Of The Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing
Anatomy Of The Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing by Caroline Myss PhD (Paperback - 1 May 1997)
6.99