Format: PaperbackChange

on 24 November 2000
I first read this book about three years ago when I was sixteen. At that time I was depressed, ill and thought nothing could make that go away. I read this book in three days, i just couldn't put it down. I can only describe it as a ray of light that shattered that darkness and changed my life. I have read the other reviews posted here and resent those people who try to make those of us who enjoyed this book look naive. I am an English honours degree student at one of the top universities in the country and yes, I recognise the weaknesses in the books written style, but I feel we should overlook this. James Redfield is not trying to present us with a piece of great literature, he trying to give us something enlightening, something to make us think and give some hope for our future, something many of us desperately need. The Celestine Prophecy remains one of my favourite books, I remain grateful to James Redfield for writing it and mostly I would hope to unreservedly reccommend this book to everyone who feels there is something missing in their life.
on 9 August 2007
I read "The Celestine Prophecy" a number of years ago and at the time this book was a unique experience for me, since I hadn't read a fiction novel that interspersed spiritual ideas into the plot.

Afterwards, I learned about a number of other authors who have written in a similar style such as Carlos Castaneda, Dan Millman and Paulo Coelho. Most recently, I came across a recent book "NEXUS: A Neo Novel" by Deborah Morrison and Arvind Singh which combines spiritual wisdom with a compelling narrative.

Still James Redfield, the author of "The Celestine Prophecy," is my first love into this style of writing. Anyone with an open mind, would enjoy reading this book.
on 13 March 2007
"The Celestine Prophecy" has a unique vision with a simple and profound message. It presents a compelling vision. The vision makes us aware of how we use energy in our interactions, whether we are connected to a source within us or do we feel the need to take energy from others around us.

The books offers both insights and an engaging adventure. Also consider "Nexus" by Deborah Morrison and Arvind Singh, which offers a special vision of our interconnectedness to one another through the journey of memorable characters at a spiritual retreat. It's also an inspiring and engaging journey of transformation.
on 23 July 2011
I had been recommended to read The Celestine Prophecy. Hard to sum up in just a few words how powerful this is. I think it is perhaps a book that everyone should read at some point - and I think somehow you know when it is YOUR time to read it. Some of the wording is somewhat Americanised, but the whole concept and sentiment captured in the book is what is really important. Highly recommended.
on 4 January 2002
I read this book because I kept bumping into people who would casually mention it and how good they thought it was.

I read a chapter a day on the train. By the time I got to "insight" four or five I was beginning to see past the "story" and becoming more and more intruiged by some of the underlying elements. They gave me a different way of looking at things in my life that I'd never quite managed to get my head round. All of a sudden I was hooked, and I'd become one of those people for who "the book has changed their life".

It's important to realise that actually there's nothing new here, and some of the insights are echoed in main stream psychology; NLP practioners will immediately see parrallels with "future programming".. but for me that's what makes the book so powerful. Although the story's fiction, it's concepts aren't.

Read it with an open mind. Don't expect it to rock your world, just take one insight a day for nine days. You'll feel a whole lot better...
on 8 August 2014
It was, all things considered, quite a disappointing read. Implausible and silly storyline. Condescending in many places and the characters lacked authenticity. I am genuinely puzzled that such a book could be so widely loved and that it could muster a 4 star rating on Amazon.
on 8 August 2013
it's an attempt to impose a very personal philosophy of life through a novel which is supposed to be at least interesting. The result is a mix that doesn't take off in either ways: the plot is light, too light for me, almost elementary. The underlying philosophy which aims to explain the laws which rule human relationships and the recipe to make them work is pleasant but it doesn't cope well with the story that should support it. Very disappointing the almost seems and it actually is, that the only goal was to hook up the reader to the book as a soap opera does with a spectator...The result is very poor as I am not planning to read any sequel
on 24 September 2003
I finally got round to ordering this book after spying it for about a year. Maybe the long wait increased my expectations but i just didn't see what the fuss was about.
This book consists of dull characters, spirituality to make you occasionaly cringe and no story to hold your attention. I dont want to write such a negative review but the idea that the main character just wanders around and says nothing witty or funny (he is like dead wood down a river) whilst helping begin a new age of spirituality is quite dire. I can appreciate that the story is just a way of getting to the core message, the insights(which are not insights at all, just the authors beliefs on where he thinks humans are headed), but the story is beyond boring, think hollywood stuff here. Getting shot at, witnesses going missing, government suppression blah blah blah.
The insights themselves will at least be interesting you say, sadly, not really. Anyone who has more than 2 books on spirituality will know most of this. Not to give much away but one of the first insights is on how humans will learn to see the 'aura'. It continues in the same vein on how people will awaken spiritually in the beginning of this century. Seems a bit like Buddha meets Terence McKenna without any mention of either. At least the author could have pulled in a couple of references as to evidence corrobarating with the insights. Not to be, apparently people have never heard of 'auras', or that the mayan calendar stops around 2012 (bit from book about spiritual awakenment at beginning of century anybody?). The whole beef i have with this book is that the story floats in it's own existence, there is no grounding when you know the author must at least have some reason to believe in what he is saying.
I am being pretty hard on this book, just because it such a tired story which dosen't bother to reinforce the reader with the feeling that this 'actually' may happen. I never found myself saying 'gee, what if this is true'. No such realization i'm afraid. This book will not change you like 'Zen and the art of motorycle maintenance' (or Lila which i thought better!).
So the book on the whole is simplistic and short on detail. If you have never heard of this stuff before, sure, give it a try but i think it is just the authors collection of most-wanted religious beliefs.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Like most of its readers, this book was a recommendation. I ordered it from Amazon and took it on a weeks sun seeking holiday to Portugal. Although probably not the right place to read such a serious book, I found I couldn't put the thing down. Admittedly there are too many Americanisms, as suggested by another reader, but this doesn't stop it from becoming an addictive read. I have lent it to more people than any other book I own.
This book has made me put my life into perspective. I don't fret if I don't get the job I wanted, missed an urgent meeting, or lost out on concert tickets. These things are not meant to be. I wasn't supposed to be there. I have found taking this new attitude to life has made me less stressed, in most instances something better has come up.
I feel sure I can say that anyone who has read this novel will relate to something in it.
on 4 July 2013
Okay, so this book may have one or two things to say about communication that are worth pondering for a moment, but that doesn't make it worth reading the 247 pages of new age babble disguised as a novel, whose plot is utterly unbelieaveble (why would the peruvian government allow the church to use the military to suppress this manuscript, and how can they detain Americans without trial for months without causing a major diplomatic crisis?), where characters pop up every few pages to preach some new "insight" about engery flows and other minor characters appear to illustrate this new lesson the protagonist just learned (all of these coincidences are conveniently given an excuse in the first insight, which is that there are no true coincidences). I had a hard time keeping track of these "characters" because they had no distinguishing features; they all existed just as plot devices in a "plot" that existed only to allow the author to preach his theories. Towards the end, the characters describe some utopian future society where everybody is enlightened, and some people are so enlightened that they will reach some "higher level of vibration" and become invisible (I couldn't make this stuff up). Then the book ends by mentioning the unknown "tenth secret" to make us want to read the sequel. Thanks, but I think I'll pass that one up.