5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life
Published on 24 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Life-Changing? Well it's a start!
Don't be fooled: this is a work of fiction designed to carry a philosophical message.
Published on 15 July 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, 24 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I first read this book about three years ago when I was sixteen. At that time I was depressed, ill and thought nothing could make that go away. I read this book in three days, i just couldn't put it down. I can only describe it as a ray of light that shattered that darkness and changed my life. I have read the other reviews posted here and resent those people who try to make those of us who enjoyed this book look naive. I am an English honours degree student at one of the top universities in the country and yes, I recognise the weaknesses in the books written style, but I feel we should overlook this. James Redfield is not trying to present us with a piece of great literature, he trying to give us something enlightening, something to make us think and give some hope for our future, something many of us desperately need. The Celestine Prophecy remains one of my favourite books, I remain grateful to James Redfield for writing it and mostly I would hope to unreservedly reccommend this book to everyone who feels there is something missing in their life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful stuff if you can get over the bad style, 4 Oct 2000
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
A lot of people have found this book irritating. Basically it gives you a series of principles about how humans relate to each other. The sources Redfield uses range from Eastern philosophy to modern psychology to quantum physics. It's actually a fairly authoritative and thorough book in terms of its subject-matter. The only problem is, it's written in a very new age, knit-your-own-yoghurt kind of a way, and is not really a well-constructed novel, so a lot of people find it hugely irritating. The style often obscures the message. If you're into spirituality, then try to see beyond the bad novel style, as it's written for 'beginners'. And if you're not into spirituality, then give the book a chance because, despite its wishy-washy style, there are some powerful ideas in it. Of course, according to the principles contained in the book, if you hate it then it's not really the right time for you to be reading it anyway...

4.0 out of 5 stars Transformative journey!, 9 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I read "The Celestine Prophecy" a number of years ago and at the time this book was a unique experience for me, since I hadn't read a fiction novel that interspersed spiritual ideas into the plot.

Afterwards, I learned about a number of other authors who have written in a similar style such as Carlos Castaneda, Dan Millman and Paulo Coelho. Most recently, I came across a recent book "NEXUS: A Neo Novel" by Deborah Morrison and Arvind Singh which combines spiritual wisdom with a compelling narrative.

Still James Redfield, the author of "The Celestine Prophecy," is my first love into this style of writing. Anyone with an open mind, would enjoy reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind altering substance that leaves a perminent imprint!!!, 9 July 2001
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
Do you feel discontented with your life? Do you always find that no matter what you do, it never seems like your on the right path. Well if you don`t then you`ve probably read this book. By reading this you will learn more about yourself and the way we interact with each other than you would have thought possible. You will also sound like a complete space cadet when you try to explain any of its contents to your friends but you will find yourself recomending it to everyone you ever meet. Another side effect from reading this: I found that I uncontrollably analys my conversations to make sure I`m not stealing peoples energy!? Read it and understand!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily "the answer" - but a good place to start !, 4 Jan 2002
Peter Jones (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I read this book because I kept bumping into people who would casually mention it and how good they thought it was.

I read a chapter a day on the train. By the time I got to "insight" four or five I was beginning to see past the "story" and becoming more and more intruiged by some of the underlying elements. They gave me a different way of looking at things in my life that I'd never quite managed to get my head round. All of a sudden I was hooked, and I'd become one of those people for who "the book has changed their life".

It's important to realise that actually there's nothing new here, and some of the insights are echoed in main stream psychology; NLP practioners will immediately see parrallels with "future programming".. but for me that's what makes the book so powerful. Although the story's fiction, it's concepts aren't.

Read it with an open mind. Don't expect it to rock your world, just take one insight a day for nine days. You'll feel a whole lot better...

3.0 out of 5 stars Life-Changing? Well it's a start!, 15 July 2003
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
Not that there's anything wrong with that; this is often the best way to explain deep concepts to people - I seem to recall that an ancient preacher called Jesus used the same tool. Nonetheless, contrary to what many seem to believe, there is no ancient Prophecy on a lost (and recently found) scroll.
What there is in this book is a series of tools that can help anyone to make sense of their life, their problems and the way that they interact with the world and the people in it. It appears to be culled from a mixture of religious philosophies (especially Tao and Buddhism it seems) and psychology (Jung and Eric Berne's "Games People Play" are obvious references).
If it's original in any way it is, perhaps, in the nature of this synthesis and the way it is expressed. Does the fact it's derivative mean it's worthless? Certainly not - as a way of looking at, in particular, interactions between individuals and the manipulation that goes on between them it is singularly useful. The meditation techniques work too - to a point. And, I admit quite openly, I've known a number of people that have found it invaluable as have many of the reviewers here.
But, for me at least, there's something missing. Maybe it's because of the very fact that it is expressed as a story but it seems unreasonably glib whilst at the same time asking us to accept things that ordinarily we would reject as impossible. For this reviewer, there were simply too many holes, too many unanswered questions and too many assumptions.
So it's an interesting starting point and will certainly give a different perspective on life. It could well be the first step you need to find a new approach to life - I have no doubt that it can radically change your perception of the world and your place in it ... and to a very large extent, your perception IS your reality.
If you really want your eyes opening though and can live without the science-fiction, can I suggest the Barefoot Doctor's eminently readable and entertaining "Handbook for the Urban Warrior" as an alternative or a follow-on? Take a look at the Tao philosophy at source, which after all plays such a large part in the Celestine Prophecy. You might just find that this puts the Prophecy into its proper perspective: a philosophy for everyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful & Engaging Journey, 13 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
"The Celestine Prophecy" has a unique vision with a simple and profound message. It presents a compelling vision. The vision makes us aware of how we use energy in our interactions, whether we are connected to a source within us or do we feel the need to take energy from others around us.

The books offers both insights and an engaging adventure. Also consider "Nexus" by Deborah Morrison and Arvind Singh, which offers a special vision of our interconnectedness to one another through the journey of memorable characters at a spiritual retreat. It's also an inspiring and engaging journey of transformation.

2.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating subject let down by poor writing style and plot!, 24 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I bought this book because I had heard so much about it and was therefore curious. The concept seemed fascinating and I liked the fact the book was woven around an `adventure' story. After reading the first chapter I was hooked and optimistic about a good, enlightening read to follow. However, as the book progressed, I became increasingly frustrated with the rather turgid writing style and before long the book became a chore rather than a pleasure to read. Although I thought it had a lot of interesting ideas, I feel the subject matter would have been better explored in more of a traditional text book style rather than using a story format which I felt was a little contrived and got in the way of the learning points, rather than enhancing them. Also, for a self-help book to work as a story it helps if the characters are ones you can really care about, which I didn't feel was the case with this book.

The Celestine Prophecy obviously speaks to a lot of people judging by the number of 5 star reviews and if the book helps inspire so many people that can only be a good thing. However, if you want to read a book that is not only inspirational and thought-provoking but also has a writing style that is easy to follow, great characters you can root for and learning points you can easily apply to improve your life, I would recommend reading Serendipity's Secret: A novel way to achieve your dreams and find the path to happiness!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a life-changer!!, 25 Jun 2001
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I got fed up with this book catching my eye in bookshops, and seeing people read it, so I bought it. Thus, I was already involved in the philosophy of this book - "everything that happens has a reason for happening". That is not all there is to it though.
This book really has changed my life. It's philosophy is both psychological and spiritual - without being sanctimonious or religious.
It is really easy to read and get the point of - I am not sure how simply reading a story could give me such a deep understanding.
I tend to be a bit depressive at times, but this book has taught me to look into why these things that get me down happen, and what I can do about it - using my own intuition.
I would recommend this book to anyone - indeed, I have had to buy it a few times as I have lent it out so often to people!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enlightening and positive read, 10 May 2000
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
Like most of its readers, this book was a recommendation. I ordered it from Amazon and took it on a weeks sun seeking holiday to Portugal. Although probably not the right place to read such a serious book, I found I couldn't put the thing down. Admittedly there are too many Americanisms, as suggested by another reader, but this doesn't stop it from becoming an addictive read. I have lent it to more people than any other book I own.
This book has made me put my life into perspective. I don't fret if I don't get the job I wanted, missed an urgent meeting, or lost out on concert tickets. These things are not meant to be. I wasn't supposed to be there. I have found taking this new attitude to life has made me less stressed, in most instances something better has come up.
I feel sure I can say that anyone who has read this novel will relate to something in it.

The Celestine Prophecy
The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield (Paperback - 6 Oct 1994)